ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Oil and Gas Discovery?
HonestChieffan 09:42 AM 12-07-2018
The Interior Department has identified a massive basin of oil and natural gas in Texas and New Mexico, enough to cover nearly seven years of all U.S. needs.

“Christmas came a few weeks early this year,” said Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke in announcing the discovery, which his department described as the “largest continuous oil and gas resource potential ever assessed.”

Our latest #oilandgas resource assessment-Texas & New Mexico’s Delaware Basin: https://t.co/rdu07nAscj We estimate 46.3 billion barrels of #oil & 281 trillion cubic feet of #natgas. That’s our largest continuous assessment ever! pic.twitter.com/KZfAhdmnkx
— USGS Energy Program (@usgsenergy) December 6, 2018

How much: 46.3 billion barrels of oil, 281 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, and 20 billion barrels of natural gas liquids. The U.S. consumes about 7 billion barrels of oil a year.

“Now, I know for a fact that American energy dominance is within our grasp as a nation,” said Zinke, who has bullishly been promoting the tapping of energy on federal lands.

New technologies have led to the prediction of developing the “undiscovered, technically recoverable resources” in the Wolfcamp Shale and overlying Bone Spring Formation in the Delaware Basin portion of Texas and New Mexico’s Permian Basin, said Interior.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-years-of-fuel
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:51 AM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'd like to see Lyft and Uber shift their model from driver-owned cars to company owned cars. If that happens, they'll exactly be a cab company.

It's not impossible, but that's turning their whole corporate model on its head. So I think that's more talk than a plan.

And yes, like cabs in cities, I expect it to remain that a small percentage drive, that's how it is today. The change is in the 'burbs, that's where people are Ubering today, but used to drive. And that's OK, it takes a LOT of drunks off the roads.
Suburbs could take a while. But the value to a big city is clear. Uber and lyft are enormously invested in driverless right now. No doubt their vision is company owned cars that are driverless. Before then, I think you'll see a rapid growth in short range shuttles in urban areas. It will reach a point where driverless in metros are so connected and easy you can easily go from place to place. Unlike the suburbs, cars are really inconvenient downtown.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:41 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Suburbs could take a while. But the value to a big city is clear. Uber and lyft are enormously invested in driverless right now. No doubt their vision is company owned cars that are driverless. Before then, I think you'll see a rapid growth in short range shuttles in urban areas. It will reach a point where driverless in metros are so connected and easy you can easily go from place to place. Unlike the suburbs, cars are really inconvenient downtown.
I'm still not sold on driverless, and if they rush it into production law suits might put it on long-term hold. I'm not saying we won't get there, but if they suffer many more accidents, and God forbid deaths, the lawyers might stunt its growth like only lawyers can do.

And I love me some drivered Uber and Lyft, when I traveled a lot, I really started counting on them. They were 289482766477x better than cabs!

That being said, cabs were already the staple in big cities, the shift to Uber/Lyft isn't a ground-breaking there IMO as it will be when 20-somethings in the 'burbs can go party their asses off and not drive.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:52 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'm still not sold on driverless, and if they rush it into production law suits might put it on long-term hold. I'm not saying we won't get there, but if they suffer many more accidents, and God forbid deaths, the lawyers might stunt its growth like only lawyers can do.

And I love me some drivered Uber and Lyft, when I traveled a lot, I really started counting on them. They were 289482766477x better than cabs!

That being said, cabs were already the staple in big cities, the shift to Uber/Lyft isn't a ground-breaking there IMO as it will be when 20-somethings in the 'burbs can go party their asses off and not drive.
Ultimately, driverless cars will make some mistakes and cause some accidents, but they will be far fewer and less frequent than accidents caused by humans driving.

As an aside, I heard a story on NPR last week about a highway patrol officer in Northern California who was trying to pull over a Tesla that was doing about 70 MPH, and the driver was not responding to his emergency lights. He pulled up beside the guy, and observed that he was sound asleep (later arrested for drunk driving.)

He got in front of the car, and started slowing down. The Telsa automatically slowed down itself, until both of them came to a stop.

Pretty amazing technology, and it will only get better.

One of my colleagues here at the office has one of the new models. He let me drive it coming back from lunch one day. Pretty ****ing amazing. I've never driven a car that has acceleration like that. You punch it and it pins you to the back of the seat.
[Reply]
loochy 02:59 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
(later arrested for drunk driving.)
That's effing messed up. He wasn't driving...
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:19 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Ultimately, driverless cars will make some mistakes and cause some accidents, but they will be far fewer and less frequent than accidents caused by humans driving.

As an aside, I heard a story on NPR last week about a highway patrol officer in Northern California who was trying to pull over a Tesla that was doing about 70 MPH, and the driver was not responding to his emergency lights. He pulled up beside the guy, and observed that he was sound asleep (later arrested for drunk driving.)

He got in front of the car, and started slowing down. The Telsa automatically slowed down itself, until both of them came to a stop.

Pretty amazing technology, and it will only get better.

One of my colleagues here at the office has one of the new models. He let me drive it coming back from lunch one day. Pretty ****ing amazing. I've never driven a car that has acceleration like that. You punch it and it pins you to the back of the seat.
Oh, I'm impressed as can be with the progress they've made, I really am, but I'm still not sure it's ready for NYC traffic. Not yet.

And I'd LOVE to have a Tesla as an around town car. But it'll be a long time before I give up my V8 Chevy truck...
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:19 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by loochy:
That's effing messed up. He wasn't driving...
Posted via Mobile Device
:-)
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up