ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Dems want to foul the House even more
HonestChieffan 09:49 AM 12-02-2018
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

This is nothing more than a way to divide us more

WASHINGTON — Newly empowered Democrats plan to let lawmakers wear religious head coverings on the House floor by creating an exception to a hat ban that has existed since 1837 — when there was reportedly very little debate before the enactment of a rule prohibiting what one member then described as the “really harmless but apparently indecorous practice” of indoor hat-wearing.

In recent years, the rule hasn't been enforced to preclude members, staff or religious leaders from wearing head coverings on the floor, but the victory of Minnesota Rep.-elect Ilhan Omar, a Muslim who wears a headscarf, has put a spotlight on its continued existence.

Democrats say they will add an exemption for religious headwear under their new package of rules changes for the next Congress, which begins in January, so that the protection of religious expression is explicit. The language will also cover someone wearing a head covering due to illness and loss of hair.

"Democrats know that our strength lies in our diversity, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion,” said House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., in a statement to NBC News. “After voters elected the most diverse Congress in history, clarifying the antiquated rule banning headwear will further show the remarkable progress we have made as a nation."

"This change will finally codify that no restriction may be placed on a member’s ability to do the job they were elected to do simply because of their faith," said incoming House Rules Committee Chairman Jim McGovern, D-Mass., who is working on the amendment with Omar and Pelosi. "The American people just elected the most diverse Congress in history and our rules should embody that."

Omar applauded the plan.

"No one puts a scarf on my head but me. It’s my choice — one protected by the First Amendment," she wrote on Twitter. "And this is not the last ban I’m going to work to lift."
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:18 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
What an interesting work environment you must have.
Individual cases are not the issue. You know this or you should know this.

BTW you can't spot the radicals by looking at them. And they don't have to be bombers to be dangerous to our way of life.
Care to elaborate on that?

And you didn't answer the question. Do you know any Muslims?
[Reply]
vailpass 02:26 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Care to elaborate on that?

And you didn't answer the question. Do you know any Muslims?
Macro not micro. Not compatible with western civilization. Look to the UK for a relevant example. You already know all of this. You're attempt to divert is noted.

I live in the 6th most populous city in the US. I know all walks of people. Save this line of bullshit for someone who needs it.

What line of work are you in that would have two muzlims in your group?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 02:56 PM 12-07-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Macro not micro. Not compatible with western civilization. Look to the UK for a relevant example. You already know all of this. You're attempt to divert is noted.

I live in the 6th most populous city in the US. I know all walks of people. Save this line of bullshit for someone who needs it.
I'll take that as a "no."

I have to say, I live in the 2nd most populous city in the US, which also happens to be in probably the largest metropolitan area in the country, and also happens to be home to many, many Iranian immigrants, Muslim, Jewish, and Bahai. Never in my entire life have I ever had an issue with an Iranian immigrant. No attempts on my life, no attempts to impose Sharia law upon me, no terrorists attacks, etc.

Can you describe any incidents you've experienced?

Originally Posted by :
What line of work are you in that would have two muzlims in your group?
I'm an attorney. Both of the individuals I referenced are also attorneys.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up