ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2176 of 3903
« First < 1176167620762126216621722173217421752176 217721782179218021862226227626763176 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:03 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Ok, now this is a legitimate argument. But I would like to know what the doctors that proclaim its benefits would have to say about that.

And I would also like to know what do you guys think these people have to benefit from promoting this drug that is cheap? What do the people that are discounting this drug have to benefit from doing that?
People promoting hydroxychloroquine at this point have a lot more invested in not being wrong than following evidence-based practices. Also, touting a potential "game-changer" has the effect of lessening the potential threat of the virus, which, if you need a robust economy, would have ancillary electoral benefits.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:03 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Everyone knew this until yesterday.....
Originally Posted by :
Why don't masks protect the wearer?
There are several possible reasons why masks don't offer significant protection. First, masks may not do much without eye protection. We know from animal and laboratory experiments that influenza or other coronaviruses can enter the eyes and travel to the nose and into the respiratory system.

While standard and special masks provide incomplete protection, special masks combined with goggles appear to provide complete protection in laboratory experiments. However, there are no studies in real-world situations measuring the results of combined mask and eyewear.

The apparent minimal impact of wearing masks might also be because people didn't use them properly. For example, one study found less than half of the participants wore them "most of the time". People may also wear masks inappropriately, or touch a contaminated part of the mask when removing it and transfer the virus to their hand, then their eyes and thus to the nose.

Masks may also provide a false sense of security, meaning wearers might do riskier things such as going into crowded spaces and places.
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm well-aware of that.

Now, it seems you agree that masks can stop droplet spread from the wearer. Is that correct?
Tell me, pete: if masks can stop doplet spread in one direction, what makes you think they can't or don't in the other?
Again.....

Originally Posted by :
Why don't masks protect the wearer?
There are several possible reasons why masks don't offer significant protection. First, masks may not do much without eye protection. We know from animal and laboratory experiments that influenza or other coronaviruses can enter the eyes and travel to the nose and into the respiratory system.

While standard and special masks provide incomplete protection, special masks combined with goggles appear to provide complete protection in laboratory experiments. However, there are no studies in real-world situations measuring the results of combined mask and eyewear.

The apparent minimal impact of wearing masks might also be because people didn't use them properly. For example, one study found less than half of the participants wore them "most of the time". People may also wear masks inappropriately, or touch a contaminated part of the mask when removing it and transfer the virus to their hand, then their eyes and thus to the nose.

Masks may also provide a false sense of security, meaning wearers might do riskier things such as going into crowded spaces and places

I am done with your games for the day.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:04 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Just so we're clear: you don't claim to know anything, but you're mocking the lack of increased cases in Florida while cases cases and hospitalizations have increased. You don't see the irony here?
Of course there are going to be increased cases and hospitalizations when you open back up. Most people that aren’t morons knew that. Is it getting out of hand? Are hospitals being overrun?

It was supposed to be MUCH worse than it has been between locking down “too late” and opening up “too early”. People were predicting doom and gloom 8 weeks ago and we’re still waiting.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:04 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
It was earlier in this thread and you even made a comment something about the virus's advanced progress on the patients. I don't remember exactly and I'm not about to go search for it but those were my takeaways.

But hey, if you're gonna proclaim yourself the smart one amongst stupid people like us then you are going to take some heat from time to time.
That's not promoting a bad study.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 05-22-2020, 10:06 AM
This message has been deleted by BucEyedPea. Reason: .
dirk digler 10:06 AM 05-22-2020

[Reply]
petegz28 10:06 AM 05-22-2020
The CDC doesn't say that masks don't stop droplet spread, pete. It's just common sense that if masks can prevent droplet spread in one direction, it will in the other. Do you dispute that?

Now, does wearing a nose and mouth mask prevent a droplet from getting in your eyes? No, of course not. The article you kindly posted mentions that.
You're a fucking idiot. This has now been posted TWICE for you. Call the CDC if you don't like it.

Originally Posted by :
By contrast, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask. However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.

[Reply]
Donger 10:07 AM 05-22-2020
Again.....

I am done with your games for the day.
Why are you posting that again? It doesn't say that masks don't stop droplets in both directions.

Anyway, where it this from?

By contrast, the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask. However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:09 AM 05-22-2020
Why are you posting that again? It doesn't say that masks don't stop droplets in both directions.

Anyway, where it this from?

Because apparently you need things posted twice. Once for each eye, I guess.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:09 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Of course there are going to be increased cases and hospitalizations when you open back up. Most people that aren’t morons knew that. Is it getting out of hand? Are hospitals being overrun?

It was supposed to be MUCH worse than it has been between locking down “too late” and opening up “too early”.
Is it getting out of hand? We'll see. I hope not. But this ties back to patience: it's not only patience in lockdown, but patience before declaring victory. There weren't an unimaginable amount of cases nationwide before SIPOs began. That's what makes exponential growth so insidious--it looks so gradual that it can be ignored, until it can't.
[Reply]
Donger 10:10 AM 05-22-2020
Because apparently you need things posted twice. Once for each eye, I guess.
You are claiming that the CDC posted the underlined part?
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 10:10 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Address what I said or shut the **** up. Dude is full of shit when he wants to condemn people for spreading misinformation when he’s pushing a conspiracy theory based on the word of one woman with a criminal history.

You all can continue to act like a guy on CP is the leading expert on Corona if you want to.
One guy posts continuously helpful evidence based articles, breaks down the more advanced papers for layman like to better discern significance, and gives his perspective as a medical professional and the other is a bitch ass hoe. Hamas is not the one that’s full of shit.
[Reply]
kgrund 10:12 AM 05-22-2020
There is no data to support giving it early at this point. When dealing with evidence-based medicine, you need evidence. Given that no trials have come forth establishing a protective mechanism for hydroxychloroquine either to prevent infection or early in infection, saying that it needs to be given early is just conjecture, especially when you lack a control group to compare it against.

Antivirals in general will help more when started sooner than later (Tamiflu being a great example), but it doesn't mean that the help drops to zero once you have a moderate infection.
I get what you are saying, but your second paragraph points to what they have been saying that it being an antiviral, the key is the sooner the better. My bigger point is why waste studies on claims that most doctors that are advocates have largely not made? Focus on proving or disproving the point-in-time that giving the drug may help.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:12 AM 05-22-2020
People promoting hydroxychloroquine at this point have a lot more invested in not being wrong than following evidence-based practices. Also, touting a potential "game-changer" has the effect of lessening the potential threat of the virus, which, if you need a robust economy, would have ancillary electoral benefits.
:-)
[Reply]
Lzen 10:12 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
There was a study that came out today where HCQ was given early on and it had no effect.
If my memory is correct, I believe there was supposed to be a 3 drug combination? What's the 3rd drug?
[Reply]
staylor26 10:14 AM 05-22-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
One guy posts continuously helpful evidence based articles, breaks down the more advanced papers for layman like to better discern significance, and gives his perspective as a medical professional and the other is a bitch ass hoe. Hamas is not the one that’s full of shit.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 2176 of 3903
« First < 1176167620762126216621722173217421752176 217721782179218021862226227626763176 > Last »
Up