ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 223
« First < 283435363738 394041424888138 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?
BigRedChief 03:48 PM 07-03-2015
What are you up to this weekend?

I finally gave up on my smoker and decided to get a new smoker. I went with a bigger model but less tech. Yes, its a cheater electric smoker. My 3rd one. I need more space to cook, I don't need help getting my smoke and temp right. :-)

I've also never used injection for flavor except for pork butt or other big cuts of meat. I decided to give it a try. I developed my own injection. Basically like the other recipes you have out on the internet but I'm putting the rub in the injection and using sirracchi.

Full results not in yet but my son and I think its the best sausage we have ever had.

No sauce. Marinated the meat overnight. Injected the meat. Slow cooked the ribs and chicken. Baste it with a combo of butter and apple juice. Using a combination of Apple, Mesquite, Cherry and Hickory wood.
Attached: 11539678_10205518593098849_7496287094654554585_n.jpg (58.7 KB) 11204917_10205518655060398_84193330748835473_n.jpg (107.7 KB) 11403311_10205518654740390_5737794009802538289_n.jpg (92.7 KB) 11060263_10205518594938895_5571454432064515726_n.jpg (86.7 KB) 
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:01 AM 07-05-2017
I don't have the pictures because I was way too busy but I smoked 10 slabs of spare ribs, 3 slabs of baby backs and 20 lbs of burnt ends. Had a full size 2-chamber pit (the cooking side was about 5x3) completely full as well as a WSM filled up as well.

Absolutely killed it. Ran out of rub twice but had enough stuff on hand in an unfamiliar pantry to mix up more. Used my standard methods by and large with some minor adjustments for that massive pit.

I'd imagine photos will show up on facebook and when they do I'll try to grab some. Gonna say that I've largely moved away from my journeyman pitmaster status at this point; I can make some damn good 'que these days...
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:11 AM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't have the pictures because I was way too busy but I smoked 10 slabs of spare ribs, 3 slabs of baby backs and 20 lbs of burnt ends. Had a full size 2-chamber pit (the cooking side was about 5x3) completely full as well as a WSM filled up as well.

Absolutely killed it. Ran out of rub twice but had enough stuff on hand in an unfamiliar pantry to mix up more. Used my standard methods by and large with some minor adjustments for that massive pit.

I'd imagine photos will show up on facebook and when they do I'll try to grab some. Gonna say that I've largely moved away from my journeyman pitmaster status at this point; I can make some damn good 'que these days...

How many people were eating?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:15 AM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
I don't have pics, but the texture was much this time. Very tender and flavorful, only problem I had was there was no bark at all. My WSM tem was around 205-215 for the first 3 hours. I wrapped in foil when my IT got to 150. It was a lot better this time though. Round 3 coming soon, need to find a way to get more bark!?!?!
2 suggestions:

1) Wrap it in butcher paper rather than aluminum foil. It's a happy medium between wrapped and foil. Foil allows no moisture out so you end up with a super soft bark. Obviously unwrapped is just the opposite; slower cooking time and can dry out the outside a bit. Get yourself a big cheap roll of butcher paper and next time wrap it in butcher paper. Lets a little moisture out (especially early) and when it saturates is about when you have lost as much moisture as you want to, so it slows the moisture loss down a lot but doesn't make the meat spongy.

2) Heat for your last hour. You appear to have forgotten the last part of the Texas Crutch - goose your heat to about 325-350 and try to get at least a 30-45 minute 'finishing' cook. Give it a spray with some apple juice for a few more sugars to carmelize and form the crust. For some applications you may want to try putting a coating of Tiger Sauce on it before wrapping it; excellent flavor and a nice little spot for the bark to adhere to.

Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I usually foil at 4 hours when it quits taking smoke.

I don't poke it before I foil it.
145 degrees. Once you hit an internal temp of 145, meat's done taking smoke.

Might get this thermo-pro. Got a few more buyers and better reviews. A little cheaper as well. I like a good bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just get a Maverick. Solid, reliable and you can get a dual probe for $70 (a single for like $40). Calibrate it in a pot of boiling water and it'll be good enough for a 'watch'. Then you use a good Thermopen to make your final read.

Originally Posted by Stewie:
My point was not the smoker, it was the technique. I also use a WSM smoker. I can keep it at rock steady temperatures for hours. "Know your equipment" is the mantra for turning out good Q.
Yeah, a WSM is bulletproof but I think too many people underestimate the difference the waterpan can make. That big ol' heat sync in there makes it stupid easy to hold 225-250 for hours. And if you want it hotter, fill the pan with sand instead of water. Or if you want it hotter still, empty the pan outright. If someone can't get a WSM to work right, they should probably just give up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:16 AM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
How many people were eating?
Not nearly enough.

We had meat for probably 80. There were 30 there. We just weren't taking any chances. Didn't know who would like what as some of these folks were from Seattle, others from Boston.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:25 AM 07-05-2017
Not nearly enough.

We had meat for probably 80. There were 30 there. We just weren't taking any chances. Didn't know who would like what as some of these folks were from Seattle, others from Boston.
Oh my, Bostonians would love it...with a side of lobster and clams.

Thirty is a big crowd though, and it's best when entertaining to have more than will be eaten—just in case. Never want to run out.

Can I hire your for my next party?
[Reply]
In58men 10:59 AM 07-05-2017
2 suggestions:

1) Wrap it in butcher paper rather than aluminum foil. It's a happy medium between wrapped and foil. Foil allows no moisture out so you end up with a super soft bark. Obviously unwrapped is just the opposite; slower cooking time and can dry out the outside a bit. Get yourself a big cheap roll of butcher paper and next time wrap it in butcher paper. Lets a little moisture out (especially early) and when it saturates is about when you have lost as much moisture as you want to, so it slows the moisture loss down a lot but doesn't make the meat spongy.

2) Heat for your last hour. You appear to have forgotten the last part of the Texas Crutch - goose your heat to about 325-350 and try to get at least a 30-45 minute 'finishing' cook. Give it a spray with some apple juice for a few more sugars to carmelize and form the crust. For some applications you may want to try putting a coating of Tiger Sauce on it before wrapping it; excellent flavor and a nice little spot for the bark to adhere to.

145 degrees. Once you hit an internal temp of 145, meat's done taking smoke.

Just get a Maverick. Solid, reliable and you can get a dual probe for $70 (a single for like $40). Calibrate it in a pot of boiling water and it'll be good enough for a 'watch'. Then you use a good Thermopen to make your final read.

Yeah, a WSM is bulletproof but I think too many people underestimate the difference the waterpan can make. That big ol' heat sync in there makes it stupid easy to hold 225-250 for hours. And if you want it hotter, fill the pan with sand instead of water. Or if you want it hotter still, empty the pan outright. If someone can't get a WSM to work right, they should probably just give up.
Have you ever tried unwrapped? I'll get some butchers paper soon.

https://youtu.be/s9yshoZKvtc
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:14 PM 07-05-2017
Have you ever tried unwrapped? I'll get some butchers paper soon.

https://youtu.be/s9yshoZKvtc
I have, but some time ago before I learned some of the mistakes I'd been making. I used to feel like it made them too acrid but it was probably more that I didn't have enough circulation/ventilation.

Now it's just my habit to wrap if for no other reason than to reduce cooking time a bit. I'd try it again on someone else's dime but I know my present method works damn well and don't want to mess around with it.
[Reply]
In58men 01:30 PM 07-05-2017
I have, but some time ago before I learned some of the mistakes I'd been making. I used to feel like it made them too acrid but it was probably more that I didn't have enough circulation/ventilation.

Now it's just my habit to wrap if for no other reason than to reduce cooking time a bit. I'd try it again on someone else's dime but I know my present method works damn well and don't want to mess around with it.
Thanks brother, I will definitely take your advice. I'm using a WSM, which grate do you think I should use? Top or bottom?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:32 PM 07-05-2017
Thanks brother, I will definitely take your advice. I'm using a WSM, which grate do you think I should use? Top or bottom?
Bottom makes me nervous because of the proximity to the water pan. That's not to say you can't do it - it's just to say that I avoid it. I'm sure others disagree but that water pan does reach a boil and that steam so close to the meat will interfere with the bark (and I get worried about it stewing the meat more than smoking it).

Another thought I had as I finished that video is that what those tasters really liked about the uncovered method was the 'intense smokey flavor'. And that's fine, many people want a smoke bomb. Additionally, he was using a very mild wood in pecan so perhaps Hickory would give that stronger flavor as well. Personally I make mine very 'memphis style' and while I like the smoke flavor, I don't want it to overwhelm the meat or the rub. It all needs to be complementary.

If you like the very smokey taste, you're probably a fan of mesquite wood and that uncovered method would be right up your alley. It's just not my preference. I tend to stick with apple/pecan/cherry/oak mixes of some sort and try not to be overwhelming with the smoke flavor. So perhaps that's why your presenter and I just aren't quite on the same page.

One of these days I'll have to do my own side by side just to see if my theory is sound, but I'm betting that's part of it.
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:39 PM 07-05-2017
Woods like mesquite and hickory can give the meat a harsh flavor if overdone. I like to cut the mix of wood about 75% to 25% apple wood to hickory. I think that's a good blend. Meat will only hold so much smoke flavor. Once you have most meats in a Weber smoker, after about two or three hours, that's all the smoke the meat is going to hold anyway.
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:40 PM 07-05-2017
On mine, I try to put as much meat on the top rack as possible. I have a little iron BBQ bean pot that i put on the bottom rack. That works really well. Adds hickory smoke flavor to the beans....and doesn't burn them.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:43 PM 07-05-2017
What I've learned today is that DJ is definitely a top, and Inmem is possibly versatile.
[Reply]
In58men 02:45 PM 07-05-2017
Bottom makes me nervous because of the proximity to the water pan. That's not to say you can't do it - it's just to say that I avoid it. I'm sure others disagree but that water pan does reach a boil and that steam so close to the meat will interfere with the bark (and I get worried about it stewing the meat more than smoking it).

Another thought I had as I finished that video is that what those tasters really liked about the uncovered method was the 'intense smokey flavor'. And that's fine, many people want a smoke bomb. Additionally, he was using a very mild wood in pecan so perhaps Hickory would give that stronger flavor as well. Personally I make mine very 'memphis style' and while I like the smoke flavor, I don't want it to overwhelm the meat or the rub. It all needs to be complementary.

If you like the very smokey taste, you're probably a fan of mesquite wood and that uncovered method would be right up your alley. It's just not my preference. I tend to stick with apple/pecan/cherry/oak mixes of some sort and try not to be overwhelming with the smoke flavor. So perhaps that's why your presenter and I just aren't quite on the same page.

One of these days I'll have to do my own side by side just to see if my theory is sound, but I'm betting that's part of it.

Hard to disagree with anything you said. Thanks for the advice, I was a little on the sketchy side about using that bottom grate as well. The thought of the brisket being so close to the steam just didn't sit well with me. I only tried two flats, first one was complete shit and the second one was tender, but no bark whatsoever. The flavor was just okay, have there been bark it could have tasted a lot better. I'll take your advice on my next one. I'm done with the flats, going to smoke the whole packer next.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:46 PM 07-05-2017
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Woods like mesquite and hickory can give the meat a harsh flavor if overdone. I like to cut the mix of wood about 75% to 25% apple wood to hickory. I think that's a good blend. Meat will only hold so much smoke flavor. Once you have most meats in a Weber smoker, after about two or three hours, that's all the smoke the meat is going to hold anyway.
I learned in my late 20s that I just don't like mesquite.

Many do but I immediately recoil from it. Just not something I'm a fan of.

Hickory as a mix is easily as stout as I'll go.
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:49 PM 07-05-2017
I learned in my late 20s that I just don't like mesquite.

Many do but I immediately recoil from it. Just not something I'm a fan of.

Hickory as a mix is easily as stout as I'll go.
Yep, a little will go a long way. When people start doing meat smoking, they tend to think they need to get giant clouds of smoke billowing from the smoker. Not so. It's not about smoke, its about holding temperature. And the smoke from oak or fruit wood is must more palatable on most BBQ meats. I don't use mesquite at all. I have used pecan, and still use hickory, but only if I cut it with apple, peach or cherry wood.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 223
« First < 283435363738 394041424888138 > Last »
Up