ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1858 of 2688
« First < 858135817581808184818541855185618571858 18591860186118621868190819582358 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:43 AM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
It's wild to think mahomes still hasn't had a deep deep bomb yet. He hasn't had to when you can get it 50 yards off your back foot. Feel like a workhorse RB will help open up the deep game again?
I think what we learned with WASP better than anything was just how long some of this stuff takes to develop.

Reid doesn't do much in the way of max-protect and unless it's absolutely critical, you don't want to subject him to a big shot on a 9-step drop. Additionally, if you do need a guy open downfield, Reid's offense is good enough that there is some route combination that will get a guy open 30-40 yards downfield with space rather than 50-60 yards downfield w/ a higher degree of difficulty.

I think the answer is ultimately that he doesn't attempt them because he doesn't NEED to. He can get an 80 yard strike off a 40 yard throw to a dude he hits the second he's open and lets run with the ball. The offense is too good and Mahomes processes things too quickly to need a 70 yard bomb in the air apart from extreme desperation.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 11:46 AM 06-24-2020
Idk about his most underrated game, but I have a pretty underrated throw that has stuck out to me during rewatches lately. It's in the Rams game back in 2018. Here's the link if you wanna see it; just fast forward to 13:50.

https://youtu.be/nTyk2Hngugw

Under duress, on the run, outside of the pocket, both feet off the ground, down field, tight window and surprisingly accurate.. juuust missed Kelce. This was a "let them nuts hang, blood" type of throws.

I like it even more given the context. It was a huge matchup. The Rams had just carved up our defense in their first offensive possession and you could just tell it was going to be a barn burner. We're immediately down a TD and legit like three of our first four plays were called for penalties. Pat was annoyed af and just came out on 3rd down ready to kill. That's why we're never out of a game with this dude.

Of course, it fell incomplete and we lost the game so it's whatever, but I love this throw.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:58 AM 06-24-2020
Can we just get a Mike Vick to open the game vs the Redskin type bomb at some point. MMmmMMM

Mahomes clearly has the arm, give me a roll out with Tyreek going deep next year please!
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:28 PM 06-24-2020
I've gone back and watched Rams loss and the two Pats losses in the 2018 season just to marvel at Mahomes struggle, then almost pull it out at the end.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:34 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think what we learned with WASP better than anything was just how long some of this stuff takes to develop.

Reid doesn't do much in the way of max-protect and unless it's absolutely critical, you don't want to subject him to a big shot on a 9-step drop. Additionally, if you do need a guy open downfield, Reid's offense is good enough that there is some route combination that will get a guy open 30-40 yards downfield with space rather than 50-60 yards downfield w/ a higher degree of difficulty.

I think the answer is ultimately that he doesn't attempt them because he doesn't NEED to. He can get an 80 yard strike off a 40 yard throw to a dude he hits the second he's open and lets run with the ball. The offense is too good and Mahomes processes things too quickly to need a 70 yard bomb in the air apart from extreme desperation.
Yup. I don't need him to do it. But it would be fun to see. Still I feel like his first year he had some nice opportunities for deep shots but he flat out misfires. He kept throwing off his back foot but he seems to have cleaned that up. Last year I felt like defenses were playing lots of deep zone daring us to throw short so we just didn't have many deep opportunities. but I feel like edwards-helaire will punish defenses for doing that. Maybe that opens up a deep shot or two.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:21 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
2019 Divisional Playoffs against the Colts.

Not his best statistical start, but he absolutely controlled that game. Glad he was able to snap that playoff game losing streak in his first playoff game.

Crazy to think we’ve won 4 of our last 5 postseason games.
This is an underrated game in general.

First playoff game of Mahomes career, against the team who had haunted the Chiefs playoff experience for the previous two decades. I know the 97 playoff loss is tortuous because it was against Denver, but let's face it, that was a damn good Denver team and we just did not have a QB who could engineer a game winning drive at the end of the game.

The Colts? Nah, it didn't matter what incarnation of the Colts we were playing against. Hell, before he was named Uncle Rico, he was known as "Jim Harbaugh". But it didn't matter who the QB was, because against the Chiefs in the playoffs, you better believe Uncle Rico could throw a football over them mountains.

95 playoffs? No explanation needed.
03 playoffs? The peak of the Vermeil era goes up in flames as Peyton Manning obliterates the defense.
06 playoffs? We pick Manning 3 times. It doesn't matter. Remember how we didn't force a punt in 03? This time we decided not to get a first down until the [I]3rd quarter[/I}
13 playoffs? Alex Smith IS a franchise QB! Holy crap we are shredding this team 38-10, Andrew Luck threw 3 picks, we got this in the-- OH GOD PLEASE NO OH GOD.

Seriously, the Colts in January singlehandedly made TV's Euron Greyjoy into a believable villain. People were mad that Euron managed to shoot down a dragon flying thousands of feet above him from wooden ships? Oh please. You never watched Eric Berry posterize the runner at the goal line, force a fumble, only for Andrew Luck to pick the ball up and leap into the endzone. You never watched Ty Law catch a for sure pick 6 against Peyton, only for his old age slowness to be tracked down by PEYTON MANNING, and then have Lawrence Tynes miss a 2 yard field goal after it was all said and done. Jesus, Euron Greyjoy looks as nuanced as Anton Chigurh compared to the ridiculous works of fiction the Colts threw at us in the playoffs.

The Chiefs have the best team in the NFL? Well, it's no match for JIM HARBAUGH.
The Chiefs have the best offense in the NFL? Well, it's no match for Peyton Manning.
The Chiefs have the best defense in the AFC? Well, it's no match for the Chiefs offense.
The Chiefs have a 28 point lead in the 3rd quarter? Well, it's no match for ricochet'd fumbles, Andy Reid refusing to run, 17 Chiefs injuries, and Andrew Luck remembering he was the second coming of Joe Montana.

All of this is to say that we had A LOT more nerves than we remember going into the 19' playoffs. The Colts were the hottest team in the NFL, and not only that - their team was built to CRUSH KC in January. The 19' Chiefs had all the hallmarks of previous playoff disappointments. They had a first round bye (95, 97, 03, 16), they had a hot start before their D got exposed and struggled to the finish line (03, 13) and were against the COLTS. Not only that, but the football Gods decided to prank us and have give us a BLIZZARD during the game, neutralizing Patrick and playing right into the Colts strengths. We were all worried, and not only that, but the hot take was that the Colts were going to send us home.

I encourage you all to watch this game, seriously. It gets forgotten because of the epic AFCCG the following week, but it is truly amazing. Patrick Mahomes takes the field and it's like he was sent to fulfill a single mission, to prove that he was leading Kansas City to a new era in Chiefs football. Despite being born in rural Texas and never before playing in the snow, Patrick takes the field and goes "lol I prefer throwing in the snow" and unleashes an ass kicking on the Colts that a Chiefs home crowd hadn't seen in the playoffs since... lemme check real quick, oh right, NEVER! I'm dead serious, the Chiefs biggest win at home in the playoffs in KC was a FOUR point, 10-6 win against the Raiders in 1991 (I was NEGATIVE 10 MONTHS OLD).

It was like Patrick was sent in the worst possible conditions, the conditions that always guaranteed a heartbreaking loss and laughed his way through all of them with ease. He starts the game throwing flamethrowers through the snow and gashes the Colts to a 17-0 lead. He takes a big hit and hurts his knee, in previous Chiefs playoff matches this guaranteed that he'd never play football again or some such - not only that, but Colquitt takes a blocked punt and gets the Colts back in the game. In previous seasons this would be the start of a heartbreaking comeback. So it was only natural that Mahomes would scorch the Chiefs down the field to take a 24-7 lead and score on a dazzling rushing touchdown (putting all fears about his knee to bed). The Colts then miss a chip shot field goal (at this moment, it seriously felt like Mahomes turned all of the Chiefs negative playoff energy against the Colts and harrowingly, this would be Luck's last ever start in the NFL).

The expectation going into the game was Mahomes would come in his first ever playoff game amped, so naturally for him he was in complete control for every single moment of the game. He even (in his first year as a starter) broke out a hard count that drew the Colts offsides (5?!) times and eventually lead the Chiefs on a drive to ice the game for a 31-13 victory.

Seriously, this game is my pick. It was as if Mahomes took 4 decades of playoff misery and performed a ritualized catharsis in front of 80,000 people (with an amazing no look pass and side armed laser for funsies). We may not have won a Super Bowl that year, but for the first time in my life, I felt like the Chiefs were finally going to win a title. For me, the game continues to signify a turning point in the Chiefs fandom. A new era that I still can't believe that we're getting to experience.

Full game here:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
ptlyon 01:29 PM 06-24-2020
@CP - you wrote an awful lot for just saying we sucked before Mahomes
[Reply]
Chiefspants 01:30 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
@CP - you wrote an awful lot for just saying we sucked before Mahomes
TL;DR WE SUCKED BEFORE MAHOMES
[Reply]
KS Smitty 09:30 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
After the game, one of the Steelers, a safety I think, was asked about Mahomes, and if anything he did caught them off-guard.

He said that they severely underestimated his intelligence. He said they thought they could confuse him with their disguises, and with rotating in and out of coverages on the fly, but he wasn't like any young first year starter that they had ever played before.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I have to chuckle at this because Mahomes said he couldn't read defenses til recently. That's what confused all those D's, Mahomes wasn't reacting to their shenanigans because he didn't know they were shenanigans.
[Reply]
DRM08 10:22 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Idk about his most underrated game, but I have a pretty underrated throw that has stuck out to me during rewatches lately. It's in the Rams game back in 2018. Here's the link if you wanna see it; just fast forward to 13:50.

https://youtu.be/nTyk2Hngugw

Under duress, on the run, outside of the pocket, both feet off the ground, down field, tight window and surprisingly accurate.. juuust missed Kelce. This was a "let them nuts hang, blood" type of throws.

I like it even more given the context. It was a huge matchup. The Rams had just carved up our defense in their first offensive possession and you could just tell it was going to be a barn burner. We're immediately down a TD and legit like three of our first four plays were called for penalties. Pat was annoyed af and just came out on 3rd down ready to kill. That's why we're never out of a game with this dude.

Of course, it fell incomplete and we lost the game so it's whatever, but I love this throw.
He had an extremely impressive throw against the Chargers in Week 1 of 2018 where Derwin James made an unbelievable play to prevent a TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s4-ZyQk5Yk
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:42 PM 06-25-2020
Best of Mahomes - (So Far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVWpIPcBljI
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:59 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Can we just get a Mike Vick to open the game vs the Redskin type bomb at some point. MMmmMMM

Mahomes clearly has the arm, give me a roll out with Tyreek going deep next year please!
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Yup. I don't need him to do it. But it would be fun to see. Still I feel like his first year he had some nice opportunities for deep shots but he flat out misfires. He kept throwing off his back foot but he seems to have cleaned that up. Last year I felt like defenses were playing lots of deep zone daring us to throw short so we just didn't have many deep opportunities. but I feel like edwards-helaire will punish defenses for doing that. Maybe that opens up a deep shot or two.
I can see this line of thinking.

So first you have to establish CEH as a real threat to be contended with on the first carry of the game, right? Can't do it in week 1 when the league doesn't know if they're scared of him or not.

And you don't really want to do it against a team with a strong pass-rush because they're coming out fresh and ready to fire upfield, even if you can get them to hesitate a bit w/ CEH.

And personally (though I see a counterargument to this), I think you want to do it at home. Crowd noise is down when you have the ball so you can easily get out of it if you think it's not there. And the effect would be enormous when the opposing team gets the ball in response.

So mid-season at home against a team with a mediocre pass rush but who's a dynamic enough squad that you want to get a foot on their throat pretty early.

{peruses schedule}

10/4 or 10/11 vs. the Patriots or Raiders. Neither team has an elite pass-rush. The problem w/ doing it against the Patriots is that Gilmore's one of the few that could still hang in long enough to screw that up. The problem with the Raiders is that...it's the Raiders - who cares?

But it would be kinda fun just to rub some nuts on Gruden's face.

So yeah - I'm on board. 10/11 at Arrowhead - let's go ahead and play-fake and huck it deep to Hill just to hang a little brain and remind the Raiders that Ruggs may be fast...but y'all are still the Raiders.
[Reply]
crispystl 02:43 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
No joke. I was there too and this was EXACTLY what it was like. Walking back from the game across the bridge surrounded by Steelers fans with their heads hung low like they had just seen the second coming of Jesus Christ with better field vision... It was awesome.

That game was when it became clear that the script had been flipped. And Tyreek Hill running uncovered on a go route wasn't going to result in anything but 7pts. Let alone fucking WASP.

Mahomes was so good in that game.

Heh..I have an outdoor bar with a covered porch where I watch the games. Mahomes has just lit them up for like his 5TD and my neighbor comes around the corner and catches me jumping up and down and giving the Steelers the bird telling them it’s our time now mofos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:52 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Best of Mahomes - (So Far)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVWpIPcBljI

I'd love to watch "Best of Mahomes", but I don't have eight free hours today.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:38 PM 06-26-2020

I missed the news that Patrick Mahomes retired pic.twitter.com/pTJfJQDQ1t

— BBQ Chiefs (@BBQChiefs) June 26, 2020

[Reply]
Page 1858 of 2688
« First < 858135817581808184818541855185618571858 18591860186118621868190819582358 > Last »
Up