ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 212 of 301
« First < 112162202208209210211212 213214215216222262 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
Mecca 02:25 PM 08-12-2019
My god...I think a friendship of mine just ended over Alex Gordon because I pointed out how his defensive numbers went from +18 to -5 and I got back "I watch him play he's a great fielder those numbers don't mean shit"

Why do people still refuse to acknowledge advanced stats?
[Reply]
SAUTO 02:54 PM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
My god...I think a friendship of mine just ended over Alex Gordon because I pointed out how his defensive numbers went from +18 to -5 and I got back "I watch him play he's a great fielder those numbers don't mean shit"

You should probably refrain from talking sports with your friends
[Reply]
Mecca 02:56 PM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
You should probably refrain from talking sports with your friends
I should, I know some real morons....
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:20 PM 08-12-2019
So who is this Josh Dye fella? 23rd round pick last year and from the look of it he seems to be a bullpen arm. Is he someone that is a lifetime reliever? Hehasreally good numbers in A+
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:51 PM 08-12-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Mehh I can already tell Moore is married to his players no matter what. He's going to get himself fired after a third straight 100 loss season next year.

You don’t understand tanking do you?
[Reply]
jd1020 04:46 PM 08-12-2019

I've had this conversation many times, most recently about Albert Almora. He's "earned" a reputation for being an elite defensive CFer but even in his one good year defensively in 2018 it wasn't "elite" level good. So when I break down all the advanced stats and say he doesn't make enough of these plays and doesnt have the range to make these plays that the truly elite defenders make they always bring up the eye test and how statcast cant measure game conditions like wind, sun, etc...

I always answer that bullshit with, "Statcast also doesnt measure human bias. My eye tells me that Usain Bolt doesn't look like he's running fast, but find me someone who's faster."

I have yet to get a response to that.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 05:47 PM 08-12-2019
We are only 5 pitchers and 4 position players away from being competitive.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:16 PM 08-12-2019

One thing to consider with defensive metrics: one-year samples can be weird and unreliable.

Gordon’s sprint speed dropping probably is an indicator his defense has slipped, but DRS can be a bit volatile.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:40 AM 08-13-2019
Brett Phillips, fun with numbers (and a smallish sample):

June-Aug Numbers

.279/.404/.616
13 HR, 11 SB, 28 XBH, 40 BB

That’s a pace that would put him at
34, 29, 74, 105 in 500 ABs/605 PAs

^ even with the crazy ball at AAA this year (which is the MLB ball), that’s exciting stuff. With his defense, if Phillips can be a
.250/.360/.500 player who swipes 20+ bags, you’re talking a real potential star-level contributor (4+ WAR).

Hope we see him at MLB soon.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:45 AM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Brett Phillips, fun with numbers (and a smallish sample):

June-Aug Numbers

.279/.404/.616
13 HR, 11 SB, 28 XBH, 40 BB

That’s a pace that would put him at
34, 29, 74, 105 in 500 ABs/605 PAs

^ even with the crazy ball at AAA this year (which is the MLB ball), that’s exciting stuff. With his defense, if Phillips can be a
.250/.360/.500 player who swipes 20+ bags, you’re talking a real potential star-level contributor (4+ WAR).

Hope we see him at MLB soon.
Yea that friend of mine thinks they aren't calling Phillips up next year either because Gordon is coming back.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:21 AM 08-13-2019
Yea that friend of mine thinks they aren't calling Phillips up next year either because Gordon is coming back.

Yeah. I don’t see that. I think Gordon is retiring. Even if he doesn’t, Gordon could play 1B or more of a UTIL role.

Phillips most recent HR was off A.J. Puk of the A’s, a top 50 prospect who is left handed and throws in the high 90s.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:55 AM 08-13-2019
Just had a conversation with a source I trust with 100% confidence. Sounds like the the Royals had agreed to trade Ian Kennedy to Atlanta for Joey Wentz. Wentz apparently may have even known about it. Glass refused to eat the money necessary on Kennedy’s contract. So that sucks.

https://twitter.com/RoyalsFarm/statu...038931968?s=19
[Reply]
Mecca 12:03 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Just had a conversation with a source I trust with 100% confidence. Sounds like the the Royals had agreed to trade Ian Kennedy to Atlanta for Joey Wentz. Wentz apparently may have even known about it. Glass refused to eat the money necessary on Kennedy’s contract. So that sucks.

https://twitter.com/RoyalsFarm/statu...038931968?s=19
Not surprised, the Royals refuse to eat money all the time, hence Billy Hamilton still being here.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 12:13 PM 08-13-2019
I actually defended Glass for a while after the World Series. When people called him cheap I'd argue that he spent enough on payroll when it matters. No more. Assuming this information is correct I probably need to deflect much of my constant disdain for Moore back towards Glass. Kind of hard to compete when you're dealing with a significant handicap from ownership.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 12:34 PM 08-13-2019
Owners might choose to eat contracts all the time...but I'm amazed at the entitlement that exists that basically expects them to do so. In the same way I don't concern myself with what the payroll is (not my money), I could care less if an owner wants to eat money or not (again...not my money). His money, his choice. Apparently, he'd rather have the player at the agreed contract. I'm OK with that. It's not like Kennedy has been a worthless player with no advantage for a developing team - I'd rather Keller's games get closed out than watching Zimmer or Staumont or Barlow blow saves for him.

And obviously Glass is willing to eat money...he's OK'd the DFA of multiple players, both in the past and this year....including Owings, Duda, Gore, Peralta and Boxberger - might not amount to the dollars they're spending on Kennedy, but it's simply not the worst thing in the world to keep the player (Kennedy), despite the bad contract.
[Reply]
Page 212 of 301
« First < 112162202208209210211212 213214215216222262 > Last »
Up