ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>New Build_2019 Christmas Edition
vailpass 12:19 PM 12-24-2019
With the price of memory and gpus now coming down to earth I decided to take advantage of Christmas sales and do a new build for myself. I have laptops but no desktop and this is a want-not-need situation so I'm going to buy it piece by piece as I find deals.

I don't game on the PC but I can't not build it to be gaming capable so I'm going with good but not top-shelf components for gaming.

Here is what I ordered today. Good deals, I"m going to watch to see if they are offered for any lower day after Christmas and get the difference if so.

Anybody have any suggestions on a motherboard? That's the part I have the hardest time figuring out which is best for me. Any other suggestions are most appreciated as well.

Purchased
CPU I5-9600k
SSD 1 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe
SSD 2 860 EVO 1 TB SATA
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Case NZXT H700i Matte Black
GPU MSI Gaming X RTX 2060 Super
MOBO MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B
Power Supply Corsair 650 gold

Deals I'm still Watching for:

Win10 Key

*Updated 1/3*
[Reply]
hometeam 03:58 PM 12-29-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Getting closer. I got a gpu and mobo (OP updated). Now all I have left is a power supply and Win10 key.
Memory prices have gone way down; it seems like PS prices have gone way up.

Paul's Hardware talks about a $20 OEM Win10 key for $20 from KinguinNet.

Anybody know anything about Kinguin and their Win10 keys? The reddits seem to think it works... https://www.reddit.com/r/Kinguin/com...ys_legitimate/
ive bought 5 windows key from kinguin this year. Just follow directions and you are good to go
[Reply]
vailpass 04:37 PM 12-29-2019
Originally Posted by hometeam:
ive bought 5 windows key from kinguin this year. Just follow directions and you are good to go
You have? Good to know. Thanks.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:09 PM 12-31-2019
Anybody have any familiarity with Scythe coolers? The reviews on them are solid. It's a mid-level cooler that is said to be efficient and whisper quiet. I'm not running AMD so am not overly worried about high temps from my CPU. I think I'm going to try one.

https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU.../dp/B06ZYB8K77

[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 02:26 PM 12-31-2019
Anybody have any familiarity with Scythe coolers? The reviews on them are solid. It's a mid-level cooler that is said to be efficient and whisper quiet. I'm not running AMD so am not overly worried about high temps from my CPU. I think I'm going to try one.

Intel runs hotter than AMD these days.... but yea the Scythe Mugen is a nice cooler. I use it on my 3700x which is overclocked to 4.25ghz all core, and it caps out at about 66-68 degrees under heavy load.

Question - why the 9600k over the 3600? The z390 is already a dead mobo, but the current B450 boards for AMD will be supporting the Ryzen 4000 series. Additionally, with the 2060, you're not going to CPU bottleneck either CPU so you'll get basically the same framerates, but you'll have twice the number of cores with the 3600.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 02:30 PM 12-31-2019
I prefer AIO coolers and you can find a 120MM cooler for around the same price.

My preference aside, I have heard those coolers you posted work really well
[Reply]
vailpass 04:54 PM 12-31-2019
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
Intel runs hotter than AMD these days.... but yea the Scythe Mugen is a nice cooler. I use it on my 3700x which is overclocked to 4.25ghz all core, and it caps out at about 66-68 degrees under heavy load.

Question - why the 9600k over the 3600? The z390 is already a dead mobo, but the current B450 boards for AMD will be supporting the Ryzen 4000 series. Additionally, with the 2060, you're not going to CPU bottleneck either CPU so you'll get basically the same framerates, but you'll have twice the number of cores with the 3600.
"Intel runs hotter than AMD these days" Huh? Got a link for that?

The 9600k is the performance and price point I want. I just have more comfort with Intel CPUs than AMD at this point.

Thanks for the Scythe input, glad to hear from someone who has actually used it. In addition to functionality I like the looks.
Happy new year.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:55 PM 12-31-2019
Originally Posted by mac459:
I prefer AIO coolers and you can find a 120MM cooler for around the same price.

My preference aside, I have heard those coolers you posted work really well
Thanks mac. I considered an AIO. The NZXT case I have is made for them but in the end I just don't want to mess with it.
HNY.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 05:11 PM 12-31-2019
Thanks mac. I considered an AIO. The NZXT case I have is made for them but in the end I just don't want to mess with it.
HNY.
Fair enough, if you are not going to overclock your CPU, you shouldn't have any issues.

Happy New Year
[Reply]
Fish 06:11 PM 12-31-2019
Its incorrect I'm not sure where he got that idea...
[Reply]
hometeam 07:41 PM 12-31-2019
I have lots of experience building pcs for myself and others. Did 8 full gaming pc builds in 2019 total, along with about 50 business PCs for my dealership group. So i speak from experience when I say Intel and AMD run the same kinds of temps plus or minus a few degrees under the same conditions.

AMD tends to pack more cores onto a die, but its really still pretty close even with more cores and more power. Since you went intel, you will have to have a cooler, AMD Ryzen chips come with stock coolers that do just fine.

SO yes your scythe will be fine, but it has nothing to do with the manufacturer of your CPU.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:51 PM 12-31-2019
If you have not purchased parts yet, I would reconsider that 9600k. For about 10 bucks cheaper you can get a 3600x, which is faster single core, and massively faster multi core, which also comes with a nice cooler that you wont have to purchase a new one for.
[Reply]
Dayze 11:35 PM 12-31-2019
I need to hit up CP this year. I want to build a pc for simulation gaming. Primarily a flight simulator (I think MS is releasing the next version this year), American truck simulator, and a few others perhaps. I want to run 3 monitors no bigger than 37” be able to have really nice resolution, 1080 will do it.,

Once I sell the the motorcycle I should have a bit of cash equity to kick things off. Budget for the computer would probably be in the 800 to 1k , then slowly build up to a nice racing seat/cockpit set up. I m hoping that range will get me in the ball park.

I’ve never built one, so now idea what I would be in for.
[Reply]
jd1020 05:53 PM 01-01-2020

No experience with it but from everything I read I was pretty close to making that cpu cooler my choice for my new build. Ended up spending like $30 more for a beefier one which got better thermals and better sound scores on the few tests I read up on. But we are talking like maybe 2-3 degrees celsius and the same with dB so completely not worth it if you are after bang for buck.

Sounded like installing that Mugen 5 is a breeze too because the mounting screws are pre set.
[Reply]
FlintHillsChiefs 06:03 PM 01-02-2020

The 9600k is the performance and price point I want. I just have more comfort with Intel CPUs than AMD at this point.

Thanks for the Scythe input, glad to hear from someone who has actually used it. In addition to functionality I like the looks.
Happy new year.
Well that's just silly. 3600x is a much better processor. There's a reason AMD has made a resurgence lately. If you were strictly looking for gaming performance and you decided to go with a 9900k or 9900ks, that would be perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't recommend Intel outside of that right now, except in very particular edge cases.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:57 PM 01-03-2020
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
Well that's just silly. 3600x is a much better processor. There's a reason AMD has made a resurgence lately. If you were strictly looking for gaming performance and you decided to go with a 9900k or 9900ks, that would be perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't recommend Intel outside of that right now, except in very particular edge cases.
Appreciate your input. I don't need guidance on what Intel is or is not, especially when it is incorrect. Your statement that AMD runs cooler than Intel being a prime example.

I notice that lately AMD has spawned a following somewhat akin to Bernie Bros. They are passionate about their beliefs and are irrational about those who don't profess the same way of thinking or enthusiasm. Like they just can't understand how you arent swept up in the same mania they are.

Again, appreciate the constructive input from you and everyone else in this thread.

I ordered a Corsair 650 gold fully modular PSU from Amazon yesterday at 2 p.m., it arrived at my house 4 hours later. My parts list is now complete. Hoping to find the time next weekend to put it together.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up