ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 118
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672112 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Market for Alex Smith will be strong, Ian Rapoport says
JakeF 04:53 PM 01-08-2018
Market for Alex Smith will be strong, Ian Rapoport says
Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network thinks the Chiefs could get a solid trade haul in return for Alex Smith.
Kirk Larrabee - 3 hours ago 0

The Kansas City Chiefs should have no problem finding a trade partner for Alex Smith this offseason and could come away with a strong haul in return, according to insider Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network.

Rapoport, who reported over the weekend the Chiefs would be listening to offers for Smith this offseason, was a guest on The Day Shift on 610 Sports Radio Kansas City Monday, where he was asked about the level of interest in Alex Smith and whether or not the Chiefs will be able to trade him.

"A lot," Rapoport said. "A lot, and yes."

Smith is coming off his best statistical season of his career as he threw for 4,042 yards in 2017 with 26 touchdowns, five interceptions, and a 104.7 passer rating. Rapoport says it's that performance along with what Smith can bring to a team's quarterback room that makes him such a hot commodity.

"He was number one in the NFL in passer rating," Rapoport said. "He is a great person, so if you trade for him and then draft a quarterback high, you will get someone who's going to help him. All you need to do is ask Patrick Mahomes. It's actually an amazing thing what a great person Alex Smith is because he's dealt with a lot of crap in his career despite mostly awesome and has come out the other side of it."

There have been several teams speculated to be good fits for Smith, with different situations among each of them. There's the Jacksonville Jaguars and Buffalo Bills, playoff teams that are still fighting quarterback woes; there's the Arizona Cardinals, a team whose starting quarterback, Carson Palmer, just retired, but still has enough talent to be competitive next season; and there's a team like the Cleveland Browns, who might be interested in acquiring Smith to not just help the team start winning again but to be a mentor to a quarterback they might select in the draft.

The latter situation might not seem like an ideal one to many quarterbacks, but Smith has done it before, and Rapoport thinks he might not have a problem doing it again.

"If I was a franchise quarterback, would I really want to help the guy who is brought in to replace me? I don't know," Rapoport said. "For some ridiculous reason, Alex Smith has done it several times, and he's continued to be a great guy. He's going to end up benefiting from all this because first of all, he's probably going to wind up being traded somewhere great. Second of all, I think his legacy will sort of live on and people will know what a good person he is."

Trading Smith would free up $17 million in cap space for the Chiefs, a much-needed amount for a team currently projected to be over the cap next year, and would also allow them to replenish some of the draft picks they traded away in multiple trades in recent months. It cost a 2013 second round pick and a 2014 conditional pick (which turned out to be another second round pick) for the Chiefs to acquire Smith from the San Francisco 49ers in 2013, and Rapoport thinks the Chiefs could get even more in return for Smith than that.

"I think they might do better this time," Rapoport said. "He is a hot commodity, and they are in unbelievable position."

Author
Kirk Larrabee @nfl_chiefs247
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:09 AM 01-20-2018
If I had to bet, he goes to either CLE or ARZ for a 2nd + 4th.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:11 AM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
If I had to bet, he goes to either CLE or ARZ for a 2nd + 4th.
I think his value is a 2nd but everyone knows we're moving on.

We won't get a 2nd...
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:14 AM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:

We won't get a 2nd...
I think you're a broken record with this prediction and will be proven wrong.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:45 AM 01-20-2018

We won't get a 2nd...
I'm not sure it matters that everyone knows we're moving on when he should have multiple suitors. It's not like the Browns are going to be able to get him to sign to play there as a FA. Teams know that the only way they guarantee getting the QB is to trade for him.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:49 AM 01-20-2018
I'm not sure it matters that everyone knows we're moving on when he should have multiple suitors. It's not like the Browns are going to be able to get him to sign to play there as a FA. Teams know that the only way they guarantee getting the QB is to trade for him.
Exactly.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 10:53 AM 01-20-2018
Lets not forget it was widely known that San Fran was not going to keep Alex and would be cutting him if not able to trade. Mr. Dorsey still gave up two 2nd rounders to acquire him.
Amazing how 5 years later the exact same situation arises.
[Reply]
Coogs 10:56 AM 01-20-2018
Personally, I think it will be the Bills. I think the #22 pick that we sent them could be in play, but we may have to send them a little more than just Smith. Maybe a package of Smith and Spencer Ware. Solves a couple of the Bills issues, and Ware could be expendable since we got through 2017 in reasonable shape without him.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:12 AM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by YayMike:
I asked this in another thread, but would you take a first rounder NEXT year or rather have a high second this year.
The first is tempting, but we need fresh talent NOW
[Reply]
Rausch 11:12 AM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
I think you're a broken record with this prediction and will be proven wrong.
Could be...
[Reply]
Rausch 11:14 AM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by YayMike:
I asked this in another thread, but would you take a first rounder NEXT year or rather have a high second this year.
YES!

I'd take a first for next year and move on.

Having two 1st round picks in one draft?

Yes, count me in...
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:21 AM 01-20-2018
YES!

I'd take a first for next year and move on.

Having two 1st round picks in one draft?

Yes, count me in...
Not sure it's as simple as that, though. We don't have enough 2018 picks right now IMO. We need at least something 4th round and above this year.

I'd take a 2019 1st IF we still get a 2018 4th or higher.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:14 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Personally, I think it will be the Bills. I think the #22 pick that we sent them could be in play, but we may have to send them a little more than just Smith. Maybe a package of Smith and Spencer Ware. Solves a couple of the Bills issues, and Ware could be expendable since we got through 2017 in reasonable shape without him.
Lost me at trading away Ware. Just no unless they are giving up and additional mid round pick.
[Reply]
Rausch 12:16 PM 01-20-2018
Not sure it's as simple as that, though. We don't have enough 2018 picks right now IMO.
Giving us a 2nd doesn't give us back a first.

Take the future-first and move on.

We need at least something 4th round and above this year.
No, we need fair compensation.

A future first is definitely fair (and even better if our current GM/HC get fired along the way...)
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 12:18 PM 01-20-2018
Not sure it's as simple as that, though. We don't have enough 2018 picks right now IMO. We need at least something 4th round and above this year.

I'd take a 2019 1st IF we still get a 2018 4th or higher.
To me a 4th just doesn't do it at all. The likelihood of getting good starters/replacement players in the 4th is just very good. Hell we have struggled at finding that in the 2cd at times.
[Reply]
Rausch 12:24 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
To me a 4th just doesn't do it at all. The likelihood of getting good starters/replacement players in the 4th is just very good. Hell we have struggled at finding that in the 2cd at times.
Under Dorsey we haven't ever drafted a starter in the 1st.

But, hope springs eternal...
[Reply]
Page 62 of 118
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672112 > Last »
Up