ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 171
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102152 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:03 AM 01-17-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You're the Worst started back up
It's like inception, . . . for pooping.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:08 AM 01-17-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Frontier with Jason Momoa is badass
I posted some thoughts about it earlier.

Momoa is awesome. The production is awesome. The rest of it, meh. I fucking dig shit like this, but I just can't bring my self to give a flying feces about the other characters. I was sorta into that Indian chick following Harp around, but this season they had her doing retarded stuff and it took me out of it.

It's like there isn't any cohesion in the writing from story to story.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:22 AM 01-17-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I posted some thoughts about it earlier.

Momoa is awesome. The production is awesome. The rest of it, meh. I fucking dig shit like this, but I just can't bring my self to give a flying feces about the other characters. I was sorta into that Indian chick following Harp around, but this season they had her doing retarded stuff and it took me out of it.

It's like there isn't any cohesion in the writing from story to story.
I agree with this. I was underwhelmed.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 05:42 PM 01-31-2019
Just started show called Pure pretty damn good
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:05 AM 02-01-2019
Going to call an audible here.

I just started hunting around Netflix for something 20ish minutes long I could watch in the background while chasing around twins and a puppy.

Man, I've always been a 'Cheers' guy in the Cheers v. Seinfeld debate but I'd really forgotten how truly excellent Cheers was. Netflix and Prime both have the whole series, start to finish, available.

Any of you guys who haven't watched it in awhile need to give it another run and you'll be reminded quickly of how that show stuck around for 11 years and was still killing it when it ended. It's just so damn good, all the way to how they utilize the multi-cam format and the distinction between a studio audience in the background and a laugh track. The characters are warm and likeable and the humor is just a hell of a lot more dry than I remembered at times. And because there's not a laugh track hammering it at you, those little almost throwaway jabs are just amazing.

"Hey, I know you - what's your name?"
"Sam Malone"
"That's it...."
"Yeah, I usually get it right..."

And it's just here and gone; no laugh track and the obnoxious Yankee fan almost steps on the line so it's just this sharp delivery and onto the next beat. The multi-cam across the entire bar gives it an expanse that you don't feel at all on modern sitcoms - the bar feels genuinely huge and some of the scenes that pan across it just make it seem more human when they're raising voices and it's trailing off across the set. You also occasionally see them stifling little laughs and grins here and there and it's just...real feeling. Almost like a play in the way they shot it rather than a traditional sitcom. The chemistry of the key players is spectacular. And the humor is timeless. That's what separates it from Seinfeld to me (that and the fact that all the characters in Seinfeld are just assholes) - Seinfeld's jokes just don't work as well.

It's not surprising that Mike Schur - who writes the best comedies on the air right now - is a Cheers acolyte. And comedy that has been working so well since The Office (also involved Schur) has the DNA from Cheers all over it.

Just an absolutely fantastic show. Seriously - go watch Cheers.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 11:27 AM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Going to call an audible here.

I just started hunting around Netflix for something 20ish minutes long I could watch in the background while chasing around twins and a puppy.

Man, I've always been a 'Cheers' guy in the Cheers v. Seinfeld debate but I'd really forgotten how truly excellent Cheers was. Netflix and Prime both have the whole series, start to finish, available.

Any of you guys who haven't watched it in awhile need to give it another run and you'll be reminded quickly of how that show stuck around for 11 years and was still killing it when it ended. It's just so damn good, all the way to how they utilize the multi-cam format and the distinction between a studio audience in the background and a laugh track. The characters are warm and likeable and the humor is just a hell of a lot more dry than I remembered at times. And because there's not a laugh track hammering it at you, those little almost throwaway jabs are just amazing.

"Hey, I know you - what's your name?"
"Sam Malone"
"That's it...."
"Yeah, I usually get it right..."

And it's just here and gone; no laugh track and the obnoxious Yankee fan almost steps on the line so it's just this sharp delivery and onto the next beat. The multi-cam across the entire bar gives it an expanse that you don't feel at all on modern sitcoms - the bar feels genuinely huge and some of the scenes that pan across it just make it seem more human when they're raising voices and it's trailing off across the set. You also occasionally see them stifling little laughs and grins here and there and it's just...real feeling. Almost like a play in the way they shot it rather than a traditional sitcom. The chemistry of the key players is spectacular. And the humor is timeless. That's what separates it from Seinfeld to me (that and the fact that all the characters in Seinfeld are just assholes) - Seinfeld's jokes just don't work as well.

It's not surprising that Mike Schur - who writes the best comedies on the air right now - is a Cheers acolyte. And comedy that has been working so well since The Office (also involved Schur) has the DNA from Cheers all over it.

Just an absolutely fantastic show. Seriously - go watch Cheers.

Cheers was a great show. The story behind the theme song is fun too.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:15 PM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
Cheers was a great show. The story behind the theme song is fun too.
Speaking of interesting Cheers related lore

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/arts-...park-st-under/
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:30 PM 02-01-2019
Good call DJLN.

There is good TV right now but a lot of it is intensive. I need to have something on while I work in the office. I’ll give it a look.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:14 PM 02-01-2019
On that note, I watched A Young Doctors Notebook and Other Stories

I’m a pretty big Mad Men and by extension John Hamm fan so I gave it a look.

It started off pretty goddamned funny. It ends up Dark as FUCK.

I finished it a week or so ago and still don’t know where I’m at on it. It’s 8 episodes so it’s an easy watch and I’m glad I did. But at the end of it all it hangs with a guy.

I’d encourage you guys to watch it and share your thoughts, just understand it’s not light and funny like it starts out as.

Specifics in the spoiler

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:05 AM 02-03-2019
Russian Doll is flying by and living up to the hype

Like if Broad City made Groundhog Day.

[Reply]
Buehler445 10:24 AM 02-03-2019
Hey BL, have you caught the Young Doctors Notebook? Seems it might be in your wheelhouse and I'd be interested in what you thought of it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:39 AM 02-03-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Hey BL, have you caught the Young Doctors Notebook? Seems it might be in your wheelhouse and I'd be interested in what you thought of it.
Kodi providers aren't finding streams of it right now. I've got it on lookout.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:45 AM 02-03-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Kodi providers aren't finding streams of it right now. I've got it on lookout.
I watched it on Netflix.
[Reply]
keg in kc 12:04 PM 02-03-2019
Just caught the first season of Barry on HBO (which I haven't had since season 7 of GoT ended...). Bill Hader is a depressed hit man from Cleveland who goes to LA for a job and ends up in an acting class run by a crazed Henry Winkler. Great stuff.
[Reply]
rocknrolla 12:22 PM 02-03-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Russian Doll is flying by and living up to the hype

Like if Broad City made Groundhog Day.

I really liked it, takes a few episodes to see where its going. Only 8 30 min episodes, any longer would have killed it.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 171
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102152 > Last »
Up