ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 29
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Cast Iron Skillets. You dig them?
Fritz88 12:54 PM 11-08-2011

What's the best way to cook a burger at home, on a gas stove?

I heard that Cast Iron Skillets are the way to go.

Would you agree? Have you tried burgers on them?
[Reply]
NewChief 08:10 AM 12-14-2011
I tend to use corn oil for high heat applications.

For some reason, I have a bias against canola oil. I think it's because Bittman disses it in one of his cookbooks.
[Reply]
sedated 08:50 PM 03-02-2012
Has anyone tried the Alton brown method of cleaning cast iron?

Once you are done cooking, either use the fat from whatever you were cooking, or pour in some oil, then pour on about a tablespoon or two of (kosher) salt, use tongs and a wad of paper towels to thoroughly wipe the inside of the cast iron, then wipe out all the salt and oil with a clean paper towel.

Seems easier than the ususal method of wiping, oiling, wiping, baking, wiping.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:02 PM 01-13-2013
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I've got pics, but no one seems to care anymore. Five rounds, and these pans are awesome!

For Christmas, my SIL is getting into cooking a lot and does a little with cast iron. I'm going to buy her a couple of carbon steel pans and pre-season them for her using this method. I think she'll love it.

I'd like your opinion on something, kind sir:

I got some Imusa aluminum calderos and some Lodge cast iron for Christmas. I'm going to season the Calderos using this method. I'm wondering about the Lodge cast iron though. Is it worth it to start it from scratch right away, remove the seasoning and re-season, or should I just keep the Lodge as is and only season the Calderos?
[Reply]
Hoover 11:12 PM 01-13-2013
Originally Posted by sedated:
Has anyone tried the Alton brown method of cleaning cast iron?

Once you are done cooking, either use the fat from whatever you were cooking, or pour in some oil, then pour on about a tablespoon or two of (kosher) salt, use tongs and a wad of paper towels to thoroughly wipe the inside of the cast iron, then wipe out all the salt and oil with a clean paper towel.

Seems easier than the ususal method of wiping, oiling, wiping, baking, wiping.
I don't use any fat or anything, I just pour salt in and wipe away. My pans look GREAT
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:01 AM 01-14-2013
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I'd like your opinion on something, kind sir:

I got some Imusa aluminum calderos and some Lodge cast iron for Christmas. I'm going to season the Calderos using this method. I'm wondering about the Lodge cast iron though. Is it worth it to start it from scratch right away, remove the seasoning and re-season, or should I just keep the Lodge as is and only season the Calderos?
Yes! The seasoning from Lodge is minimal. I'd strip it and start with this method for sure on a new pan.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:12 AM 01-14-2013
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I don't use any fat or anything, I just pour salt in and wipe away. My pans look GREAT
I've never had any trouble with using Kosher salt to clean like you do, but I do prefer using just hot water and a non-scratch scouring pad.
[Reply]
Msmith 08:22 AM 01-14-2013
I clean it with hot water and a scouring pad as well. However, after it dries, some white spots as fabric appear on the surface. I scratch it fingernail and find that the spots are ingrained into the surface.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:53 AM 01-14-2013
Yes! The seasoning from Lodge is minimal. I'd strip it and start with this method for sure on a new pan.
Thanks. I'll be doing the Calderos this week, and I'll do the Lodge after that if I get the Calderos right.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:21 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Cast iron cooks much hotter. It's not that it IS hotter, but it doesn't lose heat due to its mass. Don't use olive oil and if you normally cook on medium-high, turn it down to medium. It definitely depends on your cooktop.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "shitty" oil. Canola is a better option than olive oil, but for high temperature cooking I use soybean oil. When cooking with cast iron you're not looking for flavor from the oil, you're looking for performance.
I've started using ghee as my high-heat oil. Very tasty, easy to make at home, and ver high smoke point.
[Reply]
crossbow 09:15 PM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Phobia:
Wait a minute. I've always been told that ceramic will break if you use CI on it so I haven't. What's the real scoop? Is it an impact concern or a heat retention concern?
I have been using CI on it for about a year now. No problems that I can see. Just don't drag the pan across it and it won't scratch the ceramic.
[Reply]
aturnis 12:03 PM 01-26-2013
Just bought my first cast iron skillet. A nice 10 inch Lodge I found at the local TJ Max for $11.99. Great place to find it on the cheap.

Question about the flaxseed oil seasoning technique. Do you have to do the entire process in a single day, or can I do not over a weekend? If I can do if over a couple days, I'll start tonight. If not, I'll start early tomormorning .
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:24 PM 01-26-2013
Originally Posted by aturnis:
Just bought my first cast iron skillet. A nice 10 inch Lodge I found at the local TJ Max for $11.99. Great place to find it on the cheap.

Question about the flaxseed oil seasoning technique. Do you have to do the entire process in a single day, or can I do not over a weekend? If I can do if over a couple days, I'll start tonight. If not, I'll start early tomormorning .
Do it over a couple days. Just don't use in between seasoning sessions.
[Reply]
aturnis 12:35 PM 01-26-2013
:-)
Do it over a couple days. Just don't use in between seasoning sessions.
I knew I could count on a quick response from you FMB! You're the man.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:27 PM 01-26-2013
Originally Posted by aturnis:

I knew I could count on a quick response from you FMB! You're the man.
[Reply]
EagleRob 02:51 PM 01-26-2013
Got a 12" Lodge seasoned CI skillet and ceramic Dutch oven for Christmas. Made a few batches of fried chicken and some Sunday breakfasts in the skillet and a homemade applesauce (Ina Garten's recipe) in the Dutch oven. Pretty good. Seeing this thread surface I'm going to strip and reseason the skillet with the EasyOff / Flaxseed / Jack Up My Electric Bill method. Great reads guys. And trusting my KC friends for prepping the perfect filets. Thanks all!
[Reply]
Page 12 of 29
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up