ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 46
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs focused on Mahomes, McCaffrey, and Cunningham in RD1
pugsnotdrugs19 02:02 PM 04-17-2017
SEE POST #11 FIRST

... the word in the Chiefs building is that they would like to trade up for QB Patrick Mahomes or RB Christian McCaffrey in the first round. If this falls through, he said they like ILB Zach Cunningham a lot as well.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:39 PM 04-19-2017
When has John Dorsey's team had info slip?
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:40 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mr. Laz:
No, the teams do not share with the league office or with other teams

nobody knows what the patriots are going to do

Shitty teams are predictable

The better the teams keep it quiet.
These guys know each other. Every once in awhile you'll see someone on tv (former coach/GM/etc) talk about a phone call to another team laughing about how they know so and so is their pick cause he's a perfect fit with the coach.

The NFL is a small club, and they've all worked together. I guarantee if you got to sit in on the pre-draft meetings and see how teams think the draft will shake out, and then see it actually happen you'd be shocked.
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:42 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by RunKC:
When has John Dorsey's team had 1 backup who has never taken a snap, and a lame duck starter with a $20,000,000 cap hit the following season. Which also happens to be the last year of his contract?

CLEARLY the Chiefs need a QB. CLEARLY they'll be drafting one. The only thing we don't know is which one.
[Reply]
Mr. Laz 01:43 PM 04-19-2017
So then the Chiefs don't really want Mahomes?
[Reply]
O.city 01:44 PM 04-19-2017
I'd imagine they like Mahomes just fine. Probably or maybe alot.

Whether they'll actually take him is another thing.
[Reply]
-King- 01:45 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
And if he didn't have that issue, he'd be the #1 Overall. The only reason we can even discuss the guy is because he has some negative traits.

People are excited about him, and he's being talked about as a 1st round pick for all the reasons you carefully chose not to mention.
The only reason people are talking about him is his arm. That fools people into saying "well it we fix his mechanics, he'll be as good as Aaron Rodgers" even though mechanics are very hard to fix. There's a reason Blake Bortles is in his 4th year and had to rehire his mechanics coach.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 01:46 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Exactly.

Our quarterback in 4 years is going to be one of two things - a physically limited guy we got in the 3rd/4th round who will be little more than a continuation of Alex Smith (i.e. Nate Peterman) or a guy with a ton of tools who has warts that the staff will have to either fix or work around (Mahomes, Webb).

There's not really an in-between for teams drafting late.
You are ignoring 40 years of Chiefs football. The most likely choice for QB is a trade or release from San Fran or New England.
[Reply]
O.city 01:50 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by -King-:
The only reason people are talking about him is his arm. That fools people into saying "well it we fix his mechanics, he'll be as good as Aaron Rodgers" even though mechanics are very hard to fix. There's a reason Blake Bortles is in his 4th year and had to rehire his mechanics coach.
Posted via Mobile Device
Eh, it's a little different mechanical fix though. Bortles has a shitty throwing motion that's not repeatable. He's always had accuracy issues and imo, he doesn't seem to want to fix it.

Throwing motion changes won't work or very rarely, they will. That shits muscle memory and that's not easy.

Footwork and the like seems more of a repetition kind of thing and frankly, I'm not sure Mahomes has ever been held to the standard of working on it. Those tech coaches seem to be a results over process kind of system.

Very few qbs are gonna come into the league not needing some mechanical tweets these days and the chiefs are gonna likely have to take a prospect who'll need some ironing out.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:52 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mr. Laz:
So then the Chiefs don't really want Mahomes?
The Chiefs have had literally ALL of the top QB's in for visits. I can't recall a time that that has ever happened. They've shown an enormous amount of attention to the QB's from the Senior Bowl to Combine to visits.

It's the media dude. This happens every single year due to word of mouth.

Mort Andersen reported that the Chiefs were very interested in drafting Derek Carr in 2014. He was right. The Chiefs probably like Mahomes and a few other QB's this year.

It's no secret the Chiefs are wanting a QB. It's been in the media since the playoff loss.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:52 PM 04-19-2017
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, and it was certainly my initial concern with him.

I hate the "we can fix his mechanics" line, as that rarely ever works out. These guys are who they are.

What makes Mahomes intriguing is that, at times, he really makes his non-traditional mechanics work for him.

All of a sudden it goes from "shit mechanics" to "multiple throwing angles".

The more and more i think about it, the more i believe that it's not his mechanics that are the most concerning, it's whether or not he can pick up an NFL offense and read defenses quickly and effeciently.

IF he can read a defense, then those "poor mechanics" will start to look like "unique throwing angles", as he'll be able to anticipate his recievers coming open, not panic, and use his natural talent to deliver a strike. When you watch his college vids, accuracy isn't really an issue for him when he's playing relaxed.

If he can't, he'll mis-read defenders, panic, and force passes thus resulting into turnovers. All of a sudden, those poor mechanics will look like....well...poor mechanics, as the ball will sail etc, like most rushed, erratic, errant passes do.
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:56 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I agree, and it was certainly my initial concern with him.

I hate the "we can fix his mechanics" line, as that rarely ever works out. These guys are who they are.

What makes Mahomes intriguing is that, at times, he really makes his non-traditional mechanics work for him.

All of a sudden it goes from "shit mechanics" to "multiple throwing angles".

The more and more i think about it, the more i believe that it's not his mechanics that are the most concerning, it's whether or not he can pick up an NFL offense and read defenses quickly and effeciently.

IF he can read a defense, then those "poor mechanics" will start to look like "unique throwing angles", as he'll be able to anticipate his recievers coming open, not panic, and use his natural talent to deliver a strike. When you watch his college vids, accuracy isn't really an issue for him when he's playing relaxed.

If he can't, he'll mis-read defenders, panic, and force passes thus resulting into turnovers. All of a sudden, those poor mechanics will look like....well...poor mechanics, as the ball will sail etc, like most rushed, erratic, errant passes do.
I hadn't thought about it this way, but great post. Funny how someone who does it well has a talent, and someone who doesn't has a challenge, even though they're doing the same thing.
[Reply]
-King- 01:58 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by O.city:
Eh, it's a little different mechanical fix though. Bortles has a shitty throwing motion that's not repeatable. He's always had accuracy issues and imo, he doesn't seem to want to fix it.

Throwing motion changes won't work or very rarely, they will. That shits muscle memory and that's not easy.

Footwork and the like seems more of a repetition kind of thing and frankly, I'm not sure Mahomes has ever been held to the standard of working on it. Those tech coaches seem to be a results over process kind of system.

Very few qbs are gonna come into the league not needing some mechanical tweets these days and the chiefs are gonna likely have to take a prospect who'll need some ironing out.
Mahomes motion and footwork need work. His motion is bad and his footwork is atrocious. None of it is repeatable.

And I agree that all the prospects are going to need some work but I think the fact that Mahomes can throw over the mountains has fooled people into thinking he's a great prospect. Nevermind that he'll realistically never use more than 75% of that arm strength. It's like drafting a WR who runs a 4.2 but needs major work on his route running and other fundamental things like that. People are going to fool themselves that if they just correct those things they're going to have the best WR in the league.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
O.city 02:23 PM 04-19-2017
Mahomes motion and footwork need work. His motion is bad and his footwork is atrocious. None of it is repeatable.

And I agree that all the prospects are going to need some work but I think the fact that Mahomes can throw over the mountains has fooled people into thinking he's a great prospect. Nevermind that he'll realistically never use more than 75% of that arm strength. It's like drafting a WR who runs a 4.2 but needs major work on his route running and other fundamental things like that. People are going to fool themselves that if they just correct those things they're going to have the best WR in the league.
Posted via Mobile Device
His throwing motion looms repeatable to me. He throws from some different arm angles but that doesn't look like an issue to me. His footwork is bad, but I'm not sure that that tough of a fix to be honest I'm not sure he's ever had to work on it.
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:32 PM 04-19-2017
Posted via Mobile Device
I watched the videos of Mahomes and 1st thing I thought - this guy's a baseball player, not a QB. Then he told Gruden, he got this way from playing shortstop.

That's not good. It's ok once in a while but with his short height, he's gonna have a lot of tipped balls.

Just don't think you can 'unlearn' his habits.
[Reply]
InvinciBill 02:33 PM 04-19-2017
Mort Andersen reported that the Chiefs ....
:-)
[Reply]
Page 19 of 46
« First < 91516171819 2021222329 > Last »
Up