Page 4 of 14
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
ping2000 12:33 PM 04-15-2019
Tragic. Good news it sounds like no one was hurt. Only hope they were able to save the art.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:34 PM 04-15-2019
Appearing to confirm now that the roof has collapsed. That's bad news for the glass and the interior.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
srvy 12:35 PM 04-15-2019
Man that thing is going up fast. Cant imagine that heat wont buckle those walls eventually. Could be looking at a near total loss.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:36 PM 04-15-2019
For those who haven't been (or who haven't seen pictures), this is the kind of stuff we're talking about. It's all over that place. (Taken last summer.)

[Reply]
Gravedigger 04-15-2019, 12:37 PM
This message has been deleted by Gravedigger.
ping2000 12:38 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I have to imagine the stained glass in the back half of the building is gone. The framing might be intact, but the glass itself would melt with that heat I bet.
When we were there some years ago we were told that they don't know how they made some of the stained glass colors, especially the reds. In other buildings where they replaced broken pieces you can see the difference. Sad.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:39 PM 04-15-2019
Man. That’s freaking sad.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:39 PM 04-15-2019
As an advertising major this represents a big opportunity to turn it into something even grander.

But also as an Art History major this is heartbreaking.

As a Catholic this is suspicious.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:41 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
As a Catholic this is suspicious.
Meh. It's France. Even if it's a contemporary Algerian-ified France.

Some dipshit flicked a cig into something combustible.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:41 PM 04-15-2019
This thing is hitting me quite a bit harder than I would have expected. I was in choir in college, and a majority of the friends I still keep in touch with were choir friends. Met my wife in choir even.

In 2003, we took a tour through the UK and France, and one of the things that they do at Notre Dame is allow college tours to perform a few songs there just during the day while people are visiting. For a 21-year-old kid, it was a pretty incredible experience, so seeing her up in flames is really tough.

(I'm the nerdy one.)
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:43 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Meh. It's France. Even if it's a contemporary Algerian-ified France.

Some dipshit flicked a cig into something combustible.
Yeah, my money is on a construction worker dropping a cigarette or something. But we'll see.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:44 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sound skinky...
If anytime for such structure to go down would've been WWII, but it happens now
[Reply]
DaFace 12:44 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, my money is on a construction worker dropping a cigarette or something. But we'll see.
If nothing else, it would be relatively tough for a random arson to set fire to it spire first. You'd have to use a flaming arrow viking style or something.
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:46 PM 04-15-2019

(I'm the nerdy one.)
The tall dork in the back?
[Reply]
Donger 12:47 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
If anytime for such structure to go down would've been WWII, but it happens now
Paris really wasn't the scene of any battles during WWII.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:48 PM 04-15-2019
This thing is hitting me quite a bit harder than I would have expected. I was in choir in college, and a majority of the friends I still keep in touch with were choir friends. Met my wife in choir even.

In 2003, we took a tour through the UK and France, and one of the things that they do at Notre Dame is allow college tours to perform a few songs there just during the day while people are visiting. For a 21-year-old kid, it was a pretty incredible experience, so seeing her up in flames is really tough.
I just hate to see it as someone who appreciates history. It's such a beautiful building with so much to see and experience. I remember climbing the little staircase up the front towers and getting a great view of Paris while standing with the gargoyles.

It looks like the front towers haven't gone up, so I hope that part avoids damage. But that's not a big part of the building or contents.

I think there's a museum in there as well with a bunch of historical stuff, and there are pre-Roman excavations in the basement.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 14
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up