Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Notre Dame on fire
Rain Man 11:56 AM 04-15-2019
Not the school, but the cathedral.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html
[Reply]
srvy 09:01 PM 04-15-2019
Damn it had a lead roof at 210 tons. Not the healthiest fire to fight.

[Reply]
O.city 09:39 PM 04-15-2019
https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1...563372544?s=21

Not sure if it’s been posted but here’s some info on the fire protocol

Looks like they’ll be able to rebuild and had it figured out
[Reply]
KChiefs1 10:16 PM 04-15-2019
Heartbreaking
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:35 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://twitter.com/_theek_/status/1...563372544?s=21

Not sure if it’s been posted but here’s some info on the fire protocol

Looks like they’ll be able to rebuild and had it figured out
Yeah. That’s a hell of a lot better than I was expecting. The collective IQ of city managers in my town is a rock solid 8.
[Reply]
eDave 09:20 AM 04-16-2019

[Reply]
ghak99 11:23 AM 04-16-2019

[Reply]
Rain Man 11:31 AM 04-16-2019
Yeah, now I'm hearing that all of the rose windows survived. That's awesome, because last night there were reports from people saying they'd been inside the building and the windows were gone. Must've been stupid hoax people who should be killed.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:33 AM 04-16-2019
The whole thing is weird. We were seeing pictures last night of fire throughout the whole floor plan, and apparently a lot of the interior was saved. I haven't been able to read much, but it sounds like maybe there was a stone ceiling that was insulating a lot of the interior, so the fires we were seeing from atop was stuff burning on top of that stone ceiling. Is that correct? I'm guessing based on limited information.

If so, then heck - just call a roofing company and slap some new shingles on it, and we're good.
[Reply]
DaFace 11:37 AM 04-16-2019
That's fantastic.

Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, now I'm hearing that all of the rose windows survived. That's awesome, because last night there were reports from people saying they'd been inside the building and the windows were gone. Must've been stupid hoax people who should be killed.
I wonder if people were seeing this window and calling it one of the rose windows.

There were definitely flames coming out of it in the pictures yesterday. I guess the big thing I'm learning about all of this is that most of what you see inside is under the ceiling, and there's a lot of stuff between the ceiling and the roof (and on the outside). Quite a relief, though there will still obviously be TONS of restoration to do. I bet we're looking at a 5-10+ year timeline for it.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:41 AM 04-16-2019
That's what I wasn't understanding.

I'm clearly no architect or engineer but I thought most of the place was stone/granite/masonry. I can see the roof going up but how did it burn so hot and so fast?

Does old wood like that burn faster?

This is where the science bro's can help the dummies...:-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:42 AM 04-16-2019
Yeah, maybe it's mistaken identity on the windows. This dude implies that there was damage, but at least they're not in a pile on the ground.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/15/europ...cts/index.html

The Rose windows are a trio of immense round stained-glass windows over the cathedral's three main portals that date back to the 13th century. All three appear to have been saved. Culture Minister Franck Riester said that the three windows do not appear to have suffered catastrophic damage.

Look at this beauty. It really is amazing. I'd love to have it in my house.

[Reply]
ptlyon 11:44 AM 04-16-2019
Yeah, maybe it's mistaken identity on the windows. This dude implies that there was damage, but at least they're not in a pile on the ground.

The Rose windows are a trio of immense round stained-glass windows over the cathedral's three main portals that date back to the 13th century. All three appear to have been saved. Culture Minister Franck Riester said that the three windows do not appear to have suffered catastrophic damage.

I'd love to have a house that big
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:46 AM 04-16-2019
Originally Posted by Rausch:
That's what I wasn't understanding.

I'm clearly no architect or engineer but I thought most of the place was stone/granite/masonry. I can see the roof going up but how did it burn so hot and so fast?

Does old wood like that burn faster?

This is where the science bro's can help the dummies...:-)
Apparently the roof beams were entire trees that were cut down in the 12th century, so it was like putting out a forest fire. I heard something that implied that old wood like that was a bigger burn risk, but don't know the details. They also said that in the past beams like that would be covered in pitch to resist rot, and the pitch made it a bigger burn risk. Apparently these didn't have pitch on them now, but perhaps they did in the past that could have seeped into them?

I really have no idea other than what I was hearing yesterday. But it seems like a big part of the problem was that these are large beams and there were lots of them.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:48 AM 04-16-2019

Say what you want about the religions that build them but these types of structures always amazed me. You can marvel at the beauty of Christian, buddhist, and Islamic places of worship but when you find out just how long ago they were built your brain goes "how? How could people who didn't even have electricity do all this?"

I have the internet, books, and I'm lucky if I can replace a toilet (fuck you wax seals!)
[Reply]
Rausch 11:49 AM 04-16-2019
Apparently the roof beams were entire trees that were cut down in the 12th century, so it was like putting out a forest fire. I heard something that implied that old wood like that was a bigger burn risk, but don't know the details. They also said that in the past beams like that would be covered in pitch to resist rot, and the pitch made it a bigger burn risk. Apparently these didn't have pitch on them now, but perhaps they did in the past that could have seeped into them?

I really have no idea other than what I was hearing yesterday. But it seems like a big part of the problem was that these are large beams and there were lots of them.
Makes sense. So the fire probably started in the roof area?
[Reply]
Page 12 of 14
« First < 289101112 1314 >
Up