ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Anyone have experience running fiber?
ChiefGator 12:22 PM 05-22-2019
I could potentially get 1900 feet of fiber for $480 or so, which is about 30% the original cost. I could use it to run internet out to my barn and a few other places on my property, but I don't have any experience running it.

Anyone here know much about it?

Like, can I parse this for a couple smaller runs, and could I extend it for a slightly longer run, to run between two houses on my property?
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:03 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:

Damn Mrs left me a couple weeks ago.. but there is a thread about ladies of Chiefsplanet.. :-)
Damn now I feel bad. Sorry man.

:-)
[Reply]
ChiefGator 05:10 PM 05-22-2019
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
Damn now I feel bad. Sorry man.

:-)
No worries, man.. it was for the best.. I let relationships linger WAAYY to long in reality.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 04:52 AM 05-23-2019
The transceivers for the ends aren't very expensive for shorter runs.

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Inte...s_306627011_10

That is only $52. Of course you need two, but still.

The price has probably dropped and if you were running even longer you probably would need more. Of course, you would need two of these for each link.

I think I may do a combination of fiber for the long runs (since it is weather proof) and the small satellite dishes to help extend the wifi over to some places.

I don't want to have handle situations of certain nodes being down and having to cache data locally for a bit before getting access back to the main hub.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 04:54 AM 05-23-2019
Oh, and these videos were awesome for the very basic info on setting up a network with fiber components

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2yYkv2MQw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbNXn4Eu__4
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 05:40 AM 05-23-2019
How long are your runs?
[Reply]
ChiefGator 06:37 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
How long are your runs?
Longest run would be 1200 feet actually. A couple little 800 feet runs and a short 150 foot run to get to my house from the demarcation point in my workshop/garage.

This is all SLIGHTLY premature, except that my job bought a long run of it ( 1900 feet ) and they have offered it to me at about 66% off original cost, so I am trying to decide whether to get it or not. Getting the rest of the details on the fiber this morning. it is on a large spool.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 09:10 AM 05-23-2019
Do you have someone to do the cutting & splicing? We pay a contractor to do all the fusion splicing for us, shits not cheap.

Originally Posted by TribalElder:
as mentioned before splicing will be the biggest challenge

once and a while you will have to replace optics on switches

overall fiber is a nice choice and won't get disrupted like wireless could*

pr0n will stream nice to the barn on 10gig links
He's not going to notice any speed differences whether its 1Gb or 10Gb from his barn/etc out to the internet, it will run at whatever his IP connection is.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 12:28 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:
Do you have someone to do the cutting & splicing? We pay a contractor to do all the fusion splicing for us, shits not cheap.
I'm gonna start running down my friends list and hope someone has a buddy...

Both ends of the fiber (which I did decide to buy) already has SC jacks on them.. I just hope the length isn't too long, or I will need someone to cut some off and reterminate it on one side.

I got 1150' of 6 strand inside/outside OM-3 50/125 fiber cable for $480, and it cost the company $1240 a year or so ago. :: shrug ::
[Reply]
srvy 12:41 PM 05-23-2019
Why not just adjust your route so you dont have to cut dont go as the crow flies?
[Reply]
ChiefGator 12:42 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
Why not just adjust your route so you dont have to cut dont go as the crow flies?
Yeah, that is kind of what I thought.. as the crow flies is about 800'.. having the extra will be nice, since it makes more sense to curve a bit on my way over there, and go down the side of one path, and then down another path. Even if I have 100' rolled up on the wall of the barn.. no big deal really.

And I was just pricing the cost for fiber optic retermination kits, and they are expensive.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up