ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Could the Chiefs and Redskins work a trade deal?
Chief Roundup 06:39 PM 05-20-2019
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2019...strike-a-deal/

You hate to hear about potentially significant injuries, especially this early in the process of the offseason.

The Washington Redskins began the first OTA practice of phase three of the offseason program on Monday. Not five plays into the practice session, linebacker Reuben Foster went down on the field in a heap with a non-contact leg injury. Foster required an air cast and a cart to leave the practice field. It’s not yet been confirmed whether the injury will be significant, but coach Gruden dubbed the injury “very concerning.”

The Redskins have spent a lot of time on Foster. They took a big risk claiming him off of waivers after the 49ers released him following multiple off-field incidents. They anxiously waited to find out whether the NFL would suspend him, which they chose not to. Now, they could potentially lose Foster for the season.

This injury does open up an opportunity for a trade that may have not been there before the injury. Now there is a possibility that the Redskins look outside their own roster to add another linebacker. The Chiefs in particular, have a linebacker the roster who is a better fit for the Redskins defensive scheme.

Reggie Ragland was traded from the Bills to the Chiefs under the guise that he was not a good fit for the Bills 4-3 defense. Just a year later the Chiefs have switched to a 4-3 defense. Ragland once again is unlikely to be a fit because of a change to a new scheme. The Redskins currently run a 3-4 base defense under DC Greg Manusky, so scheme fit wouldn’t be a problem in this move.

Additionally, Ragland has an allegiance that could make him extra appealing to the Redskins. The Redskins have six former Alabama Crimson Tide players on their defense including Foster, who was Ragland’s running mate in 2015 at Alabama. Ragland does offer a different skill set to Foster. He’s not as speedy as Foster, but Ragland is a punishing two-down linebacker.

So who or what could Brett Veach potentially pry from the grasps of the Redskins in a trade involving Ragland? Obviously there could be some minimal draft compensation like a Day 3 pick, but the Chiefs are probably looking for some earlier return on investment.

There is no doubt in my mind that GM Bruce Allen could try to move cornerback Josh Norman after June 1, in order to clear $11.5 million in cap space
. Norman hasn’t been all the Redskins has hoped for when they signed him to a five-year $75 million dollar contract.

The Chiefs would be on the hook for two years and $24 million remaining on Norman’s contract. It’s a hefty chunk of change, but with the Chiefs currently in win now mode while Patrick Mahomes is still on his rookie deal, this is a contract that they could afford to take on during the next two seasons.

This type of player-for-player trade could potentially be a big win for both teams. Washington would shed a big contract of a CB who has underperformed since joining the team. They’d also get a player at a position of need. Kansas City would also add a player at a position of need, but they’d get rid of a player who no longer fits their defensive scheme.

Not sure that the Chiefs would have any real interest in Josh Norman. But damn if we could trade Reggie Ragland and a day 3 pick for Josh Norman it is hard not to say Hell Yes.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:35 PM 05-21-2019
Norman isn't as good as people think.

There's a reason Washington doesn't want him.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:42 PM 05-21-2019
I have no erection for this trade.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:45 PM 05-21-2019
Norman was a flash in the pan. He hasn't played up to his hype in years. Much rather have PP; athletically Norman might be a touch faster (and that's a big maybe), but in every other aspect, especially football smarts (situational awareness in particular) PP is better by a wide margin.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:49 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
Washington paid big money to a guy they thought was a premier CB in the NFL only to find out he was a system guy.

They're not trying to unload him for personality reasons. It's purely due to the fact that he's paid way above what his value is.

I think they'll cut him before week 1. Nobody will claim him with that contract and he'll be a FA. Then we can talk.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 05:53 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Washington paid big money to a guy they thought was a premier CB in the NFL only to find out he was a system guy.

They're not trying to unload him for personality reasons. It's purely due to the fact that he's paid way above what his value is.

I think they'll cut him before week 1. Nobody will claim him with that contract and he'll be a FA. Then we can talk.
This...thread end
[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:55 PM 05-21-2019
Trade Breeland Speaks?
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:58 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:

I like it.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 05:58 PM 05-21-2019
We wouldn't need Norman to be a world beater. We'd just need him to be competent alongside Breeland, Fuller, Honeybadger and Thornhill. Last season the Pats secondary was J.C Jackson (a UDFA btw) , Gilmore, Mccourty and Chung. Having Bellichick as their coach obviously helps a ton but that was never seen as the most talented secondary in the league was it? I actually believe Ward could be a major gem that's right under our nose, but I sill hope Veach gets another experienced corner just to give the defense the best possible chance to be better this year.
[Reply]
TribalElder 03:21 PM 05-22-2019

The #Redskins officially placed LB Reuben Foster (ACL) on season-ending Injured Reserve and signed free agent LB Jon Bostic.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 22, 2019

[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 03:28 PM 05-22-2019
Hopefully a certain RB the overrated browns stole lands a similar fate...
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:11 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by TribalElder:

:-)

Fucking Bostic.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:42 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate:
[Reply]