ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Tractor Question
Renegade 06:33 PM 05-07-2019
I know this will turn into a Chevy vs Ford type of debate.

I am looking for a compact tractor in the 25-30 HP range, 4wd. Things to get now are a loader and a mower (I am leaning towards a belly mower). Future implements to be added would be an auger and maybe a box blade. Ability to run a wood splitter would be an added bonus. I know the dealership plays a big part in the decision process. I am not a brand loyalty kind of guy

What brand does everyone use, and what features do you like about it?

I have looked at

John Deere (I love the drive on mower deck, and it clicks in place). I believe only Deere Parts work on a Deere, but unsure
Kubota
Kioti
Mahindra (this one is a little harder to find in SW MO)
Massey Ferguson
New Holland (probably rule this one out)
[Reply]
Comanche 06:10 AM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
NH pretty much = Case IH these days.

They are a hell of a long way from Ford anymore.
The same could be said for all major brands. JD certainly isn't made as strong/reliable as in the past. Do you even own a New Holland?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:09 AM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Comanche:
The same could be said for all major brands. JD certainly isn't made as strong/reliable as in the past. Do you even own a New Holland?
I don't own either a Case or NH. But my position wasn't that I did, only that they are a long way away from the ford tractors that their grandpas had or whatever.

And my point was also partially that all the major brands have similar type problems. If there was far and away a better brand, it wouldn't take long for dudes to switch in giant numbers. There is way too much money on the table to mess around with an inferior product.

And I have to take a little issue with them not being as reliable. On the whole, you're right. But it's mostly electrical and CANBUS problems. In terms of engine/transmission/drivetrain they're better machines than the 80s/90s ones we had when I was a kid. These motors will run solid for 10,000 hours (with exceptions for lemons of course - but those existed then too) which the old ones wouldn't do without an overhaul.

I mean, I feel you, and I bitch about Deere more than anyone here. I promise, but to say they are an inferior quality, especially mechanically, is just not being objective.

But yeah, your main point is sound. Dad has an old 7100 planter that we plant like 200 feet of sweet corn a year with and I can get it hooked up and ready to roll in an Hour. The planter we use the most has a damned PTO generator, a mountain of hydraulic outlets and we have to spend longer than that flushing air from the system. Downtime is more because it has a million sensors for seeding rate, real time active hydraulic downpressure, seed spacing, variable vacuum, CCS fans and probably a bunch of other crap I probably don't even know about to manage.

But man, this new planter will do so much more than the old 8 row. LOL.

So yeah, they're down more, but they're also trying to do much more than mechanical everything. With that comes complication, with that comes more things to fail. But it's not like they're even remotely the same kind of products to compare.
[Reply]
oldman 09:19 AM 05-09-2019
Have you considered a used one? If you're not going to farm on a large scale and just looking for something to do projects with, why pay for a new one? Most dealers will have some used stock.
[Reply]
Renegade 09:53 AM 05-09-2019
I have considered used, but most used inventory around here is larger than I need
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:46 AM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Renegade:
I have considered used, but most used inventory around here is larger than I need
If you haven't, check the Tractorhouse link I posted above.
[Reply]
Renegade 07:47 PM 05-13-2019
Ranking after shopping this weekend. I know I can eliminate sub compacts. They look like toys and easy to tip. Limited implement uses. Staying in the compact range

JD 3025. Unbelievable how JD pricing blows everyone away. Service was very good. They will give me a loaner to try if I want. Warranty is longer than other guys. I am guessing they make their money back on service agreements

MF 1734e. They are phasing out the 1725e which is the size I wanted. Very good sale as and service. Free delivery same as JD. This has a mower deck available unlike JD. Going to shoot me a number tomorrow

NH workhorse 25. Had everything I wanted just a much higher price tag than the others

Kioti. Just a drop off from NH but not bad

Kubota. Salesman didn’t want to talk even though I made an appointment. Just gave me catalogs to look at. They charge $3.50 per loaded mile to deliver and service. Not impressed but the tractor got high ratings

Mihandra. Not one salesman had a good thing to say about them. Most said they lose up to 50% value once you buy

Off brand. May be cheap but can’t find parts to fix them
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:06 PM 05-13-2019
Buehler-dad planted a lot of acres with that 7100 he had.

Mini tractors. Kubota. has a good rep. Dad had an utility vehicle. Great thing. Wish I had a use for it.

And a second for Tractor house. Then start looking at auctions.
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 08:34 PM 05-13-2019
I know this will turn into a Chevy vs Ford type of debate.

I am looking for a compact tractor in the 25-30 HP range, 4wd. Things to get now are a loader and a mower (I am leaning towards a belly mower). Future implements to be added would be an auger and maybe a box blade. Ability to run a wood splitter would be an added bonus. I know the dealership plays a big part in the decision process. I am not a brand loyalty kind of guy

What brand does everyone use, and what features do you like about it?

I have looked at

John Deere (I love the drive on mower deck, and it clicks in place). I believe only Deere Parts work on a Deere, but unsure
Kubota
Kioti
Mahindra (this one is a little harder to find in SW MO)
Massey Ferguson
New Holland (probably rule this one out)

WHICH EVER ONE HAS THE BEST WARRANTY--BUY THIS ONE.

you're welcome
[Reply]
Tombstone RJ 08:36 PM 05-13-2019
Which ever one has the best warranty, this is the one you buy. Why, because it's a tractor and they break down... just say'n...
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:25 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Good seeing you around, MO.
Thanks buddy. It’s nice to still be around.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:28 PM 05-13-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Buehler-dad planted a lot of acres with that 7100 he had.

Mini tractors. Kubota. has a good rep. Dad had an utility vehicle. Great thing. Wish I had a use for it.

And a second for Tractor house. Then start looking at auctions.
I have a Kubota utility vehicle rtv . I like it but really wish it had an option for draft horns and a rear pto.
[Reply]
scho63 09:27 AM 05-14-2019
Is the tractor where you keep the chainsaw?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:17 PM 05-14-2019
Originally Posted by MOhillbilly:
I have a Kubota utility vehicle rtv . I like it but really wish it had an option for draft horns and a rear pto.
agreed
[Reply]
Andoverer 01:56 PM 05-14-2019
Ranking after shopping this weekend. I know I can eliminate sub compacts. They look like toys and easy to tip. Limited implement uses. Staying in the compact range

JD 3025. Unbelievable how JD pricing blows everyone away. Service was very good. They will give me a loaner to try if I want. Warranty is longer than other guys. I am guessing they make their money back on service agreements

MF 1734e. They are phasing out the 1725e which is the size I wanted. Very good sale as and service. Free delivery same as JD. This has a mower deck available unlike JD. Going to shoot me a number tomorrow

NH workhorse 25. Had everything I wanted just a much higher price tag than the others

Kioti. Just a drop off from NH but not bad

Kubota. Salesman didn’t want to talk even though I made an appointment. Just gave me catalogs to look at. They charge $3.50 per loaded mile to deliver and service. Not impressed but the tractor got high ratings

Mihandra. Not one salesman had a good thing to say about them. Most said they lose up to 50% value once you buy

Off brand. May be cheap but can’t find parts to fix them
This seems surprising to me. Mahindra is like the number one selling tractor worldwide.

I'll re-state what I mentioned earlier. Mahindras don't have Diesel Particulate Filters to worry about and if i'm not mistaken the other brands do. DPF filters are costly to replace down the road when they wear out plus the annoyances you have to deal with DPFs. Having to keep the tractor outside when it goes through its cycle because of the high heat it produces. I just park mine in the barn and forget about it.
[Reply]
Renegade 08:19 AM 05-21-2019
Just pulled the trigger on the MF GC 1715. I wasn't wanting a subcompact, but that was what I kept coming back to. I had it down to the MF and JD. The dealership (and no sales tax) is what made me pull the trigger. The compact was bigger than I needed for the space that I have. I also wanted the mower deck, as I didn't want another piece of machinery. So if it takes me longer to mow, so be it. More time on a tractor can't be that bad.

I got the loader with quick attach, 60" mower deck, and box blade for a shade under
$16K with only 3 hours on the tractor.

Thanks for your help during the process.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 7
« First < 23456 7 >
Up