ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Tractor Question
Renegade 06:33 PM 05-07-2019
I know this will turn into a Chevy vs Ford type of debate.

I am looking for a compact tractor in the 25-30 HP range, 4wd. Things to get now are a loader and a mower (I am leaning towards a belly mower). Future implements to be added would be an auger and maybe a box blade. Ability to run a wood splitter would be an added bonus. I know the dealership plays a big part in the decision process. I am not a brand loyalty kind of guy

What brand does everyone use, and what features do you like about it?

I have looked at

John Deere (I love the drive on mower deck, and it clicks in place). I believe only Deere Parts work on a Deere, but unsure
Kubota
Kioti
Mahindra (this one is a little harder to find in SW MO)
Massey Ferguson
New Holland (probably rule this one out)
[Reply]
Iowanian 03:12 PM 05-08-2019
Depending on where you're wanting to buy, I'd look at buying a min of 40 acres, including a farmstead. If you just want the land, then sell of the acreage for a significant chunk. smaller parcels will be higher priced per acre.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:10 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
OK my turn to hijack...

OK I've really got an itch to buy some farm ground to screw around. I just want a place where we can be out by ourselves, do some hunting, shoot some guns, screw around about side.

What's the best way to go about this?

One thought I had was attempt to purchase an old farmstead that is not used with some run down, unsalvageable buildings (I have a place in mind). Now here is my question, obviously I'd love to go in and just buy the entire 40 acres this farmstead sits on but let's just say the owner has no motivation to sell. However, I think they may be willing to sell off just the old farmstead to the right individual (I have a connection).

So is there a minimum amount of ground I should try to obtain, like 5 or 10 acres with an option to buy more land if the land around me ever goes on the market?
Depends on how it’s set up. If you’re wanting to shoot guns you need enough distance to make it workable. I’d feel better about guns if there were a berm or something so you know where the lead goes.

Shit is different out here but if you’re wanting hunting 10 acres won’t get you much. Even if the hunting is good.
[Reply]
tarheel23 04:38 PM 05-08-2019
Mahindra hands down in smaller tractors. They will usually have much better lifting capacity than the others. You would be better off to buy a tractor a couple of years old that has a tier 3 diesel, the new tier 4 in all tractors have issues. Dealer in southwest Missouri is Tatum in Anderson MO.
[Reply]
tarheel23 04:41 PM 05-08-2019
John Deere doesn't manufacture their small tractors, it is contracted out.
[Reply]
notorious 05:00 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by tarheel23:
John Deere doesn't manufacture their small tractors, it is contracted out.
This goes for everything they sell with the exception of their big stuff.

The gouging they do is incredible, just because the OEM painted it green.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 05:02 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
This goes for everything they sell with the exception of their big stuff.

The gouging they do is incredible, just because the OEM painted it green.
I understand that there is also massive electronic lockouts keeping you from doing your own work on their equipment. I watched a video on Reddit the other day talking about how farmers are joining forums that sell hacked software that allow people to do their own work under right to repair.

That alone makes me never want to use JD products. They seem like the Apple of the farming industry.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:18 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by tarheel23:
Mahindra hands down in smaller tractors. They will usually have much better lifting capacity than the others. You would be better off to buy a tractor a couple of years old that has a tier 3 diesel, the new tier 4 in all tractors have issues. Dealer in southwest Missouri is Tatum in Anderson MO.
I don’t know on the smaller engines but you may have to go back aways.

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
I understand that there is also massive electronic lockouts keeping you from doing your own work on their equipment. I watched a video on Reddit the other day talking about how farmers are joining forums that sell hacked software that allow people to do their own work under right to repair.

That alone makes me never want to use JD products. They seem like the Apple of the farming industry.
Avatar aside, nobody hates Deere more than me. Nobody.

That being said, all the brands at least in the Ag market do the same shit. They all are maddening.
[Reply]
Hoover 07:16 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Depends on how it’s set up. If you’re wanting to shoot guns you need enough distance to make it workable. I’d feel better about guns if there were a berm or something so you know where the lead goes.

Shit is different out here but if you’re wanting hunting 10 acres won’t get you much. Even if the hunting is good.
I agree. So I already hunt the and have access to the 460 acre plot, so I guess the point I'm attempting to make is that since I highly doubt they will sell any of their farmable land, how much land surrounding the old farmstead should I attempt to buy. Is the 10 acres enough, since I already use the ground. Just want to build a new barn and maybe eventually a cabin or something. Maybe a few camp sites for guests.
[Reply]
notorious 07:54 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I don’t know on the smaller engines but you may have to go back aways.

Avatar aside, nobody hates Deere more than me. Nobody.

That being said, all the brands at least in the Ag market do the same shit. They all are maddening.
My buddy, the big farmer, was bitching about how his $400 Ipad is more powerful, reliable and could do everything in his tractor better than the $$$$$$$$$ setup he is forced to use.

Gotta make that money. Why program an app when you can charge 4-5 figures for software in a $50 control panel.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 08:03 PM 05-08-2019
I agree. So I already hunt the and have access to the 460 acre plot, so I guess the point I'm attempting to make is that since I highly doubt they will sell any of their farmable land, how much land surrounding the old farmstead should I attempt to buy. Is the 10 acres enough, since I already use the ground. Just want to build a new barn and maybe eventually a cabin or something. Maybe a few camp sites for guests.
I guess I would want 20 acres minimum... obviously you won't be able to hunt on THAT land (from the picture) but you said you already have that access worked out.

Depends what you want to do with the land really.. may not even need to OWN it if you have good relations with the current owner.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:24 PM 05-08-2019
My recommendation is get as much as you can afford. Unless they vastly overpay, I've never run across a dude that has said, "dang, I wish I'd got a few less acres."

It's been my experience that ground doesn't change hands much and when it does its always way too much money.
[Reply]
Renegade 09:00 PM 05-08-2019
The Mahindra seems much more expensive than Deere or Kubota. My initial price check showed roughly $5000 more
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:55 PM 05-08-2019
I have a M5400 Kubota. It’s a tank. I bought it used 8 years ago and it’s the only piece of equipment that never gives me trouble. Bought it at Ozark Power in spfld and hauled it up north.
I’ve owned both Deere’s and IH and used many other brands and for my money Kubota’s are nearly bullit proof.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:59 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by MOhillbilly:
I have a M5400 Kubota. It’s a tank. I bought it used 8 years ago and it’s the only piece of equipment that never gives me trouble. Bought it at Ozark Power in spfld and hauled it up north.
I’ve owned both Deere’s and IH and used many other brands and for my money Kubota’s are nearly bullit proof.
Good seeing you around, MO.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 05:15 AM 05-09-2019
Originally Posted by Renegade:
The Mahindra seems much more expensive than Deere or Kubota. My initial price check showed roughly $5000 more
Yeah, it obviously depends on which models you are looking at, and it is sometimes hard to figure out the direct correlation. And it is up to your dealer.. so get quotes from all of them.

What is listed as MSRP and the final price were different by $10k, or 25% the total price, on my Mahindra tractor/loader.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up