ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Tractor Question
Renegade 06:33 PM 05-07-2019
I know this will turn into a Chevy vs Ford type of debate.

I am looking for a compact tractor in the 25-30 HP range, 4wd. Things to get now are a loader and a mower (I am leaning towards a belly mower). Future implements to be added would be an auger and maybe a box blade. Ability to run a wood splitter would be an added bonus. I know the dealership plays a big part in the decision process. I am not a brand loyalty kind of guy

What brand does everyone use, and what features do you like about it?

I have looked at

John Deere (I love the drive on mower deck, and it clicks in place). I believe only Deere Parts work on a Deere, but unsure
Kubota
Kioti
Mahindra (this one is a little harder to find in SW MO)
Massey Ferguson
New Holland (probably rule this one out)
[Reply]
notorious 10:47 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Right on. Wife was asking if she thought it would hail. I said absolutely not. Bought some hail coverage on the wheat, so there will be no hail here.
Just like washing a car. Rain will come within 24 hours.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:52 AM 05-08-2019
I'm gonna hijack this thread for myself just a little bit if that is alright with everyone.

I'm in the process of buying a 10 acre nursery in Rayville and the guy is taking his tractor with him. I'm considering picking up a Quad and adding a mowing deck and a trailer to pull shit around on.

Thoughts on something like this vs an actual tractor? (figure that I can unhook the attachments and now have a toy as well instead of strictly a tool)
[Reply]
ChiefGator 10:56 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
I'm considering picking up a Quad and adding a mowing deck and a trailer to pull shit around on.

Thoughts on something like this vs an actual tractor? (figure that I can unhook the attachments and now have a toy as well instead of strictly a tool)
How much for that mowing deck? If you need an excuse to buy the quad, go for it I guess, but the mowing deck won't be that much less than a zero turn, I would think. I think they are mostly rough cut as well.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:22 AM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:
How much for that mowing deck? If you need an excuse to buy the quad, go for it I guess, but the mowing deck won't be that much less than a zero turn, I would think. I think they are mostly rough cut as well.
It isn't so much as looking for an excuse to buy a quad as much as thinking ahead for utility. Instead of having a zero-turn mower AND a tractor for when I need to haul/move things I could get a quad that could both mow and haul/move things.

I've never lived/worked/mowed on that scale before and trying to get the most utilitarian use out of the equipment I wind up buying.

Looks to be about $1500 for a 44 inch 11.5HP deck without going too hard on the shopping.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...RoCOMEQAvD_BwE
[Reply]
ChiefGator 01:12 PM 05-08-2019
It isn't so much as looking for an excuse to buy a quad as much as thinking ahead for utility. Instead of having a zero-turn mower AND a tractor for when I need to haul/move things I could get a quad that could both mow and haul/move things.

I've never lived/worked/mowed on that scale before and trying to get the most utilitarian use out of the equipment I wind up buying.
Just curious, do you know what size tractor the last guy had?

If the land is pretty much finished and good to go, you might could skip the tractor I guess. The forklift loader attachment would probably be awfully nice though.

Do customers come to the property, or you just sell to nearby nurseries/farms? In that picture, it sure looks like it is ripping up the lawn a good bit... but if you don't need to maintain a pristine area I guess that would be less important.

It will be harder to get that setup to cut near the edges and get a clean cut around trees, etc...
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:18 PM 05-08-2019
Just curious, do you know what size tractor the last guy had?

If the land is pretty much finished and good to go, you might could skip the tractor I guess. The forklift loader attachment would probably be awfully nice though.
He has an 1973 International 140. That said, he has a mowing deck attached to it and no loader.

The land is finished. I will want to plant new trees as time passes though.

Originally Posted by :
Do customers come to the property, or you just sell to nearby nurseries/farms? In that picture, it sure looks like it is ripping up the lawn a good bit... but if you don't need to maintain a pristine area I guess that would be less important.

It will be harder to get that setup to cut near the edges and get a clean cut around trees, etc...
The photo was just to give an idea of what I was talking about. To be honest, I don't know if my train of thought on this is normal or not so when I did a GIS, I used one of the first images I found to get my thought across.

There seems to be both finishing and brush mowers that are towable. The finishing mower would give me the traditional cut look.

As for customers, they sometimes come on property. Mostly not.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 01:25 PM 05-08-2019
The property in question:

[Reply]
ChiefGator 01:37 PM 05-08-2019
The property in question:

That is pretty land man! Looks nice!

Also looks like a good amount of lawn though. I have ~6 acres I currently cut with my tractor and a 8' ( 96" ) rotary cutter. It takes damn near 4 hours I think, but I do it fairly infrequently.

Based on what people are reporting in this thread, I would very much consider getting a zero-turn, and holding off on the tractor purchase entirely for a while. I think that will cut down on the time you have to spend mowing that.

I guess you still need some sort of quad or UTV to move plants around efficiently though.

Pretty area though man and good looking house!
:-)
[Reply]
Iowanian 02:37 PM 05-08-2019
Honestly,

depending on what you're going to do, I'd consider a zero turn and a small truck, or a larger lawn tractor with attachments. small scoop, tiller etc aren't cheap but handy.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 02:40 PM 05-08-2019
I’m currently considering a 22HP Mahindra, brand new, comes with front loader and grader blade for 16,000. They’re offering 0 percent interest for 84 months with 3,400 down.

I think I’m gonna buy it.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 02:45 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
I’m currently considering a 22HP Mahindra, brand new, comes with front loader and grader blade for 16,000. They’re offering 0 percent interest for 84 months with 3,400 down.

I think I’m gonna buy it.
Is that the eMax 22S? Is it HST, Gear, Shuttle? 4WD?

I just recently got a new Mahinda 5570... I have been impressed with it so far.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 02:48 PM 05-08-2019
Is that the eMax 22S?
Yes. I’m looking at either the 22 or the 24. I haven’t priced the 24 yet.

The Mahindra website advertised 84 months interest free, but the dealer wouldn’t offer it to me. I had to specifically ask for it.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 02:53 PM 05-08-2019
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
Yes. I’m looking at either the 22 or the 24. I haven’t priced the 24 yet.

The Mahindra website advertised 84 months interest free, but the dealer wouldn’t offer it to me. I had to specifically ask for it.
I think the 22 is geared and the 24 is hydrostatic transmission. Depends on the type of work you are doing I guess which you prefer.

So, sit with the dealer and see how it all works out.. was better for me to pay some interest and then they gave me a better deal on the tractor.

The 5570 4WD shuttle with loader lists at around $41k, but I got it for $31k from the dealer. It is still a very low interest rate though.. like 3.5% maybe? And, of course, you can pay it off early.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 03:00 PM 05-08-2019
I think the 22 is geared and the 24 is hydrostatic transmission. Depends on the type of work you are doing I guess which you prefer.

So, sit with the dealer and see how it all works out.. was better for me to pay some interest and then they gave me a better deal on the tractor.

The 5570 4WD shuttle with loader lists at around $41k, but I got it for $31k from the dealer. It is still a very low interest rate though.. like 3.5% maybe? And, of course, you can pay it off early.
You can the 22 in both geared and HST. The one I priced is geared.
[Reply]
Hoover 03:06 PM 05-08-2019
OK my turn to hijack...

OK I've really got an itch to buy some farm ground to screw around. I just want a place where we can be out by ourselves, do some hunting, shoot some guns, screw around about side.

What's the best way to go about this?

One thought I had was attempt to purchase an old farmstead that is not used with some run down, unsalvageable buildings (I have a place in mind). Now here is my question, obviously I'd love to go in and just buy the entire 40 acres this farmstead sits on but let's just say the owner has no motivation to sell. However, I think they may be willing to sell off just the old farmstead to the right individual (I have a connection).

So is there a minimum amount of ground I should try to obtain, like 5 or 10 acres with an option to buy more land if the land around me ever goes on the market?
Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 4.07.48 PM.jpg (34.5 KB) 
[Reply]
Page 4 of 7
< 1234 567 >
Up