ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Media Center>Best 'One Season Wonders'
Discuss Thrower 04:14 PM 05-06-2019
For a deeper field, I'll consider anything with fewer than 25 total episodes as 'one season'.

So what's the best y'all have watched? I'm putting forth HBO's "The Brink" and the cult favorite "Firefly" as two series which, were shortened, had enough resolution to consider them completed story arcs.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:49 PM 05-07-2019
Pushing Daisies -- just a damn interesting, unique show that I'm sure I'd have gotten tired of had it gone 3 seasons or more (they'd leaned too hard into the Ned/Charlie romance too early).

Better off Ted -- Really funny, really dark.
[Reply]
Frosty 01:02 PM 05-07-2019
I think they both just slightly go over the 25 episode cutoff but Reaper and Dead Like Me should be considered. Also, I think I was the only person on the planet that watched it but FreakyLinks, a sort of Millenial X-Files.
[Reply]
Jerm 01:08 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Dallas Chief:
Even though it’s technically 1.5 seasons (30 episodes total), I really loved Jericho. Non zombie dystopian stuff really interests me.
Came here to post this.

I'd throw Terra Nova into the mix as well.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:19 PM 05-07-2019
Here are a couple that I'm gonna mention that i know aren't actually that great.

'The Trophy Wife' was often tedious but I have a thing for Malin Akerman and Bradley Whitford is just entertaining.

'Go On' with Matthew Perry was almost good but just didn't quite get over the hump to actually good. It was viewable with the potential to have become pretty decent with another season to sort some stuff out.

'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' is one that it took 2-3 weeks of curiosity watching (as a Douglas Addams fan) before I decided that I actually liked it. Very quirky and interesting and I was bummed to see it cancelled. I suspect 'Lodge 49' will follow a similar track and get canned after about 22 episodes.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:31 PM 05-07-2019
Conviction is the only new thing I could contribute.

It's not very good but MY GOD I love Haley Atwell.

Agent Carter too. It was decent but they needed to throw at least a little budget at it.
[Reply]
KC_Lee 01:42 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Brimstone. A fantastic show from the late 90s about a cop sent back from hell to collar a bunch of escapees from hell. Peter Horton was great as the cop, and John Glover was deliciously evil as the devil - I really can't think of a better devil portrayal in anything I've seen before or since - he was sort of a cross between DeNiro's devil in Angelheart and Clancy Brown's Kurgan from Highlander. It was well written, dark, moody, twisted and awesome.

Sadly, it was the baby of a Fox executive who got whacked, and from what I've read the new guy basically torpedoed it to spite him. Didn't even last a full season. ****er.
Loved Brimstone. My father said it was shot in "Spooky-Vision".
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:47 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Pushing Daisies -- just a damn interesting, unique show that I'm sure I'd have gotten tired of had it gone 3 seasons or more (they'd leaned too hard into the Ned/Charlie romance too early).

Better off Ted -- Really funny, really dark.
Wow, forgot about that one. Really good show.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:48 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Agent Carter too. It was decent but they needed to throw at least a little budget at it.
I liked Agent Carter a lot, but it was 3 seasons I think.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:48 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I liked Agent Carter a lot, but it was 3 seasons I think.
I thought it was one. I could be wrong on that.
[Reply]
listopencil 01:48 PM 05-07-2019

There is something about her.

I can't think of what it is.

I wish I could put my finger on it.

I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue.

Nope. Just can't figure it out.

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:51 PM 05-07-2019
I thought it was one. I could be wrong on that.
Just checked: 2 seasons, only 18 episodes, so it counts. Good call.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 02:06 PM 05-07-2019
Ooh, Matthew Perry reminds me of the run Studio 60 had. The kind of "behind the scenes" look at not-Saturday Night Live was enjoyable enough to overlook Sorkin's desire to preach.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:18 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Ooh, Matthew Perry reminds me of the run Studio 60 had. The kind of "behind the scenes" look at not-Saturday Night Live was enjoyable enough to overlook Sorkin's desire to preach.
Came out at the same time as 30 Rock; still remember a commercial with Tina Fey explaining to Alec Baldwin that he signed up for the OTHER behind-the-scenes sketch show show. The one without Sorkin, Perry, Whitford, and Busfield.

Everyone seemed to think 30 Rock would be the one to fail.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:21 PM 05-07-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Wow, forgot about that one. Really good show.
In fairness - it gets an asterisk and is in the pool via technicality.

26 episodes were created, thus making it uneligible for inclusion. However, it was cancelled after 24. The final 2 were going to be aired by were pre-empted by the NBA Finals and never shown.

So with only 24 aired episodes and as a clearly worthy inclusion in this discussion, I felt it qualified...
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:27 PM 05-07-2019
Is it cheating to mention Band of Brothers?

Freaks and Geeks.
The People vs. OJ Simpson
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up