ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Keeping pets off furniture
007 11:51 PM 05-22-2019
The Mrs. and I recently purchased a new couch and loveseat. Unfortunately, because we didn't really give a crap about the stuff we are getting rid of, we let our cat lounge on it. Now we are in a situation that we really don't want our cat getting on it because of his claws.

Without using deadly force, aka antifreeze and the like, what are some effective and safe ideas you have used to break the behavior of jumping onto furniture all the time.

One of my biggest problems is the fact I sleep during the day and can't monitor the cat during those hours.

Right now, we just have the furniture covered with fleece blankets to keep it somewhat protected but it looks awful, obviously.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:13 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
One of my cats used to play fetch. I'd throw a ball, he'd run and get it and bring it back just like a dog.

Then one day he just quit doing it.

I don't want to fetch anymore. **** you.

Life with cats. :-)
My daughters cat does that. Fetches just like a dog. I thought he was the only one.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:14 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
Can't you just have the little piece of shit declawed?
Thats the worst thing you could do to a cat.
[Reply]
eDave 06:26 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
My daughters cat does that. Fetches just like a dog. I thought he was the only one.
My little Momo did that. It was so cute.

Then a Coyote ate her and I was sad for a long time.

I've got a cat now, the one I rescued, that comes when I call her. Better than any dog I ever had.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:51 PM 05-23-2019
Well, he is now. :-)
[Reply]
LoneWolf 07:20 PM 05-23-2019
Thats the worst thing you could do to a cat.
Why? Why does a house cat need claws? So they can defend themselves against armed intruders?
[Reply]
JD10367 08:42 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Also I have a cat that has eye allergies, that is far worse than this.......basically I have to keep a cone on hand at all times because at least 4 times a year I have to cone him because his face on one side will be swollen and his eye will be all ****ed up for no reason...of course you have to cone him because he won't leave it alone.
It’s actually probably herpes. Shitloads of cats have it. In humans herpes manifests in the lips, in cats it’s the eyes. You can buy lysine powder to sprinkle on the food, but it’ll still pop up especially if the cat is stressed.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:45 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by 007:
Nope. One cat. He will be sitting there doing nothing then BAM darts off. He has no interest in cat toys at all. Right now I just pick him up and move him to one of the two chairs we don't mind him being on. He was never into our other two couches. But something about these he likes. Using a squirt bottle for now, but all that is doing is making him afraid of me which isn't what I want.
You could get some sort of fabric that approximates the color of the couch and use two sided tape to secure it to the arms when he usually sits.

Not an ideal solution, but it would probably work. Mostly. Of course, there's gonna be that date when he gets spooked and tears ass across the cushions ripping the shit out of them. It is inevitable.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 09:02 PM 05-23-2019
You allowed the cat to get on the furniture in the first place so expecting it to understand it's wrong now is only going to make it afraid of you if you physically try to keep it off. You can try a plastic tarp but that will probably fail.

Declaw him/her, get used to it, or find a new home for it.
[Reply]
007 09:09 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
You allowed the cat to get on the furniture in the first place so expecting it to understand it's wrong now is only going to make it afraid of you if you physically try to keep it off. You can try a plastic tarp but that will probably fail.

Declaw him/her, get used to it, or find a new home for it.
picking him up and moving him to a different spot is not going to make him afraid of me. Get out of here with that bullshit.
[Reply]
Fish 09:19 PM 05-23-2019
So what if you covered it in truck bed spray liner? Too firm?
[Reply]
007 09:26 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
So what if you covered it in truck bed spray liner? Too firm?
:-) I don't think the Mrs would go for it.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:25 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by JD10367:
It’s actually probably herpes. Shitloads of cats have it. In humans herpes manifests in the lips, in cats it’s the eyes. You can buy lysine powder to sprinkle on the food, but it’ll still pop up especially if the cat is stressed.
I've actually had this suggested by a few people but the vet says it's not. He literally shows no symptoms other than the eyes. Also he doesn't have goopy discharge, he just has swelling and some issues with the 3rd eye lid and they go away quickly.
[Reply]
RedRaider56 10:18 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
This chick may have lured your cats away:

You might be right! :-)
[Reply]
Bwana 10:40 AM 05-24-2019
I have no idea if these work? :-)

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-44x1...%2C264&sr=1-12
[Reply]
Vannz 06:21 AM 08-24-2020
The cats ruined all my furniture, now I have to buy a new one.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up