ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 31
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Media Center>Chernobyl
Frazod 09:08 PM 05-06-2019
Just finished the first episode; I guess I'll be keeping HBO a bit longer after Game of Thrones ends.

It is fascinating, horrifying and infuriating. And spellbinding.
[Reply]
Skyy God 10:07 AM 05-24-2019
Have they gotten to the part where the sniper takes out a guy in Pripyat??
[Reply]
Amnorix 10:33 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs:
Aren't nuclear reactors air-gapped?

Yes, but as Stuxnet showed, that doesn't make them impervious.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:34 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
He talked about it in the last episode a bit when they were walking. It's terrifying to think about and i'm gonna go out on a limb and say pretty painful to go thru.
Watched it last night.

Holy hell - if that ghostly sort of inhuman zombie thing is what those poor guys really went through - man, a bullet was a far easier way to go.

And some of the REALLY unlucky ones took a month to die.

And I'm sure the miner guy is some kind of amalgam w/ a fair amount of artistic license, but you have to hope there's some truth to that character. I don't suspect we'll see a ton more of him, but I can hope (wait...given the context of that last scene, that didn't come out right)
[Reply]
notorious 11:24 AM 05-24-2019
I flew a cattle inspector from Texas to Florida once a month for 4 years. Center routed us over a nuclear power plant in Arkansas consistently. I never would, but a pilot could easily fly into a nuke plant. It would probably be similar to a fly hitting a windshield though. :-)
[Reply]
Amnorix 11:53 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
I flew a cattle inspector from Texas to Florida once a month for 4 years. Center routed us over a nuclear power plant in Arkansas consistently. I never would, but a pilot could easily fly into a nuke plant. It would probably be similar to a fly hitting a windshield though. :-)

Perfect analogy.
[Reply]
Otter 12:52 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
If you've ever flown out of Harrisburg, PA you fly directly over the cooling towers of 3 Mile Island on take off sometimes to the point you would be able to see to the bottom if the weren't so dark.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 02:05 PM 05-25-2019
Gotta love Communism.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:05 PM 05-25-2019
Listened to the chapter 3 podcast today. Very interesting background. They had an opening scene with the director of the nuclear plant in the hospital that got cut. They felt background on the people’s personal motives wasn’t necessary with only a 5 show run.

The real life Director was in a nuclear accident while working on a reactor on a submarine. Supposedly got a lethal dose. He didn’t die. The producer was saying the future director felt that nuclear radiation fears were overblown since. That explains why he was so slow to act and why he sent the engineers to their deaths.

After the accident on the sub, he wore the same clothes home. His kid welcomed him home with a big hug. His kid died of luekiema within a few years. The director says it had nothing to do with the accident because he’s still alive. Just chance his kid got cancer and died shortly after the accident.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 06:28 PM 05-25-2019
Also remember modern reactors have a lot of passive cooling and the design of reactors is different from what is in the West and Japan and the old Soviet era reactors.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:16 PM 05-25-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Listened to the chapter 3 podcast today. Very interesting background. They had an opening scene with the director of the nuclear plant in the hospital that got cut. They felt background on the people’s personal motives wasn’t necessary with only a 5 show run.

The real life Director was in a nuclear accident while working on a reactor on a submarine. Supposedly got a lethal dose. He didn’t die. The producer was saying the future director felt that nuclear radiation fears were overblown since. That explains why he was so slow to act and why he sent the engineers to their deaths.

After the accident on the sub, he wore the same clothes home. His kid welcomed him home with a big hug. His kid died of luekiema within a few years. The director says it had nothing to do with the accident because he’s still alive. Just chance his kid got cancer and died shortly after the accident.
Also interesting on the issue of sufficiency of the response, all the work of those naked miners constructing a firewall between the plant and groundwater in case of meltdown was completely unnecessary.

A leviathan effort out of abundance of caution. An irony borne of tragedy.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:48 PM 05-25-2019
3rd highest rated podcast in the world on I-Tunes right now. Seems like word of mouth is propelling this show.
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:29 AM 05-26-2019
Abandoned amusement park from Chernobyl....

[Reply]
C3HIEF3S 07:40 AM 05-26-2019
I think the most fucked up part of this is that the symptoms of radiation poisoning actually subside after a couple days, only to hit harder and faster after about another day. It was fucked up, but they nailed that point home in episode 3.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:27 AM 05-26-2019
Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S:
I think the most fucked up part of this is that the symptoms of radiation poisoning actually subside after a couple days, only to hit harder and faster after about another day. It was fucked up, but they nailed that point home in episode 3.
yeah they explained that in the podcast when talking about the wife's first visit to the hospital. They had some burns but were playing cards, joking around. Survivable. But.....

The radiation poisoning is breaking down their cells at the DNA level. It takes a day or two after exposure. Then the worst pain imaginable happens. Everything just melts because its lost its cellular structure. The arteries and veins are useless so they cant even give them morphine for the pain. They turn black on the outside while their internal organs are melting. They decided not to show that graphic part.

When they got that bad, why didn't they just kill them? To be in that much pain, your organs are melting for crissakes. The producer said they could survive in this state for days.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:29 AM 05-26-2019
i cant believe it took me this long to stumble into this thread. i fucking love this show! always been stupid interested in the event, and even partially subscribe to the conspiracy about duga 3 radar being killed by the KGB via the meltdown. currently listening to the podcast i appreciate you guys posting about that i would have never found it, locked on chiefs is gonna be on pause for a few days.
[Reply]
Page 14 of 31
« First < 41011121314 1516171824 > Last »
Up