ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 60 of 171
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110160 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:20 PM 09-28-2019
Marianne on Netflix if you're into suspense/horror. French, subtitled, and extremely filmatic for a series. Demonic type suspense/horror that's very well done. Had to pull myself away from it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:16 AM 10-02-2019
If you haven't watched, you owe yourself, and the new season starts soon!!

[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 09:55 AM 10-03-2019
I've been watching "The Righteous Gemstones". It's not as good as "Eastbound and Down" but it's pretty entertaining and funny. Goggins as "Baby Billy" cracks me up.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:07 PM 11-08-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm not gonna look it up...

Killing Eve on BBC America just finished its second season, and it's one of the best shows on TV. Only 8 eps/season, so it's not hard to get caught up. I DVR'd and watched the entire second season in one sitting, in fact. It's worth it.
Fleabag lives up to the hype. [FTR, lead actress, writer and creator of Fleabag is writer and creator of Killing Eve].

Very British, very now. But still very relatable.

The central conceits are the competing stresses of family and relationships, particularly in the clash/environment of wild personal lives with proper manners/etiquette. This is informed by the central character making the audience her confidante, telling the camera the subtext of the situation or her personal reactions in the middle of the scene. I've honestly never seen someone who can say so many many many things with her eyes.

It's 2 seasons, 6 eps each, 30-minute eps. Very bingeable, or nice little bite-sized bits to mix into your rotation. Looks like it's done, but it's done like the BBC Office was, not because it wasn't popular but because the story is told [for now]. And besides the humor and situations, the overall story is moving as well.

Somewhere midway between Hugh Grant, Woody Allen and Ricky Gervais.

EDIT - to add, thinking on it, a lot of people might be dissuaded from this show by the buzz of how it's all this feminist girl power. That it might be some of that strident preachy stuff that's en vogue right now. But one of the most refreshing things about the show overall is how open and honest it is about the main character talking a good game about modern empowerment, while she harbors some deeply sentimental and traditional notions. There's a lot that's messy, but the things they are striving for will set many hearts aflutter as it resonates with their own personal foibles. It's tough to detail without spoiling far too much, but there are decisions made and growth demonstrated that you might not think possible these days. Maybe the talent of Phoebe Waller-Bridge, beyond just being a good writer, is being a good writer who respects the complexity of both trying to be unique AND finding meaning.
[Reply]
MelGrif 04:50 AM 11-11-2019
Great thread! Since The Big Band Theory finished, I'm looking for the good series to watch. I've already seen True Detective (liked the 1st and the 3rd seasons), The Umbrella Academy (now I'm looking forward to the new season) and How to Get Away with Murder (liked only three first seasons). I should say, there are many good suggestions here. Tanks for sharing!
[Reply]
MahiMike 03:17 PM 11-11-2019
I'm getting tired of LeftFlix. Seems every show I try to watch has not so subtle leftist undertones. Is there anything left that doesn't include LGBTQ bias?
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:21 AM 12-26-2019
The Confession Killer on Netflix

bugs bunny sawing texas off the union.gif

It's a Making A Murderer, Innocent Man type docuseries.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:33 AM 12-26-2019
‘You’ Season 2 hits Netflix today.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:26 AM 01-07-2020
I'll add Messiah on Netflix for the first 4 episodes alone. From there it gets a little wonky (change in directors) but still finishes relatively strong. Overall, it's very well done with a lot of layered thought material. Still processing it a day later. It's a legit binger.

Synopsis: conman, the actual messiah, or antichrist, intertwined into present day geopolitics
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 10:36 AM 01-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'll add Messiah on Netflix for the first 4 episodes alone. From there it gets a little wonky (change in directors) but still finishes relatively strong. Overall, it's very well done with a lot of layered thought material. Still processing it a day later. It's a legit binger.

Synopsis: conman, the actual messiah, or antichrist, intertwined into present day geopolitics
This! It really is a good show.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:40 AM 01-10-2020
I got a half rate on Showtime for a few months so I decided to watch a couple series I've been wanting to catch.

Ray Donovan I didn't really know what to expect here. I thought maybe it would suck hard, but holy fuck I couldn't get enough. Especially binging it. Liev destroys the role. God I wish I was as cool as that dude. There aren't too many things that the show did wrong. It wasn't terribly groundbreaking in terms of plot, but the writing was tight and it did everything well. I cared about all the characters, even the ancillary ones like Terry and Bunch. John Voigt was probably born to play Mickey Donovan. I think one of my favorite characters was dog the dog. Or colloquially Dawwg the Dawwwwwwg.

Homeland Long live Inigo Montoya! Mandy Patinkin does a kick ass job in this show. The first season does a great job of leaving it up in the air of whether Brodie is a terrorist or not. 2 and 3 aren't as good because it's out, but it picks up after that. It does a really solid job and Claire Daines gets better every season.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 01:07 AM 02-09-2020
I thought I'd posted about it in past seasons, but High Maintenance is back.

Such a gem of a show. Just the right length, brilliant concept, and this season's premiere was genuinely moving.

If you're not familiar with the conceit, the bearded biking dude in the trailer is 'the dude' and he's a weed dealer in NY. And the stories are only peripherally about him. Week to week, you drop in on his various and random [though occasionally serialized] customers as they go about their lives then interact with him when they buy their weed. So it's a bunch of little slice of city life stories connected by weed.

And the greatness of it is it can go anywhere. From loners and shut-ins to yuppies and broadway stars to nudists and swingers, to even boomers in the suburbs. Whomever wants some weed is the storyline for the week.

If you haven't caught any of it, they are worth catching up with past seasons, and it started as a web series, so you can still find a lot of it on youtube and vimeo and dailymotion. And of course, HBO has the whole package if you stream them.

[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:05 PM 03-08-2020
I finished Ballers on HBO. It was entertaining but somewhat hollow.

Thinking of hitting Deadwood or Rome next. The first episode of Rome did not impress.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:08 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I finished Ballers on HBO. It was entertaining but somewhat hollow.

Thinking of hitting Deadwood or Rome next. The first episode of Rome did not impress.
Rome is legit. It’s not aged the best but it is good. Stick with it.

Have you watched the wire?
[Reply]
vailpass 08:13 PM 03-08-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Rome is legit. It’s not aged the best but it is good. Stick with it.

Have you watched the wire?
This x100. Liked it so much I ended up naming my dog after a character.
[Reply]
Page 60 of 171
« First < 10505657585960 6162636470110160 > Last »
Up