ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 116 of 130
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Official 2017 STL Cardinals Thread
BigRedChief 08:06 PM 01-27-2017
My as well get it started. Here's my "Matheny" lineup.....

Fowler CF
Diaz SS
Carpenter 1B
Piscotty RF
Grichuk LF
Molina C
Peralta 3B
Wong 2B
Pitcher

My "Matheny" Starting rotation

Martinez
Reyes
Wainwright
Lynn
Leake
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:43 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Motherfuckers can bring it.
I thought about reminding the guy that called Donaldson a douche that he's not actually a douche, Royals fans just hate him because...Royals fans.
[Reply]
Marco Polo 04:04 PM 12-14-2017
ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Diamondbacks have also checked in on Manny Machado.

Arizona has 2017 All-Star Jake Lamb at third base and a handful of decent shortstop options, so an upgrade for the left side of the infield wasn't on their priority list. Still, when a talent like Machado becomes available, it's worth checking in. Olney things the White Sox and the Cardinals have the best offers out for Machado right now.

Do we have any idea of what Moe has offered?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 04:05 PM 12-14-2017
Brandon Phillips isn't a douche, Cardinals fans hate him because...Cardinals fans.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:11 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I thought about reminding the guy that called Donaldson a douche that he's not actually a douche, Royals fans just hate him because...Royals fans.

I think he's a douchebag because... he's a douchebag.

My friend who covered him when he was in college: says he is a douchebag

My friend who is a national baseball writer: says he is a douchebag

He looks, acts and talks like a douchebag, too.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:14 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think he's a douchebag because... he's a douchebag.

My friend who covered him when he was in college: says he is a douchebag

My friend who is a national baseball writer: says he is a douchebag

He looks, acts and talks like a douchebag, too.
Having met Hosmer, he's a MASSIVE bro-douche.

But when he's your guy, he's YOUR douche. And you call it 'fire'.

I'd love to add Donaldson's attitude to the clubhouse and I suspect Royals fans would to if they weren't already predisposed to hating him. I know this because the guy IS Hosmer.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:14 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Brandon Phillips isn't a douche, Cardinals fans hate him because...Cardinals fans.
{shrug}

I'm over booing Phillips. He actually seems like a pretty funny guy. I think I probably actually like the dude.

Johnny Cueto, OTOH, can die in a fire.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:23 PM 12-14-2017
Having met Hosmer, he's a MASSIVE bro-douche.

But when he's your guy, he's YOUR douche. And you call it 'fire'.

I'd love to add Donaldson's attitude to the clubhouse and I suspect Royals fans would to if they weren't already predisposed to hating him. I know this because the guy IS Hosmer.

Hosmer is a douche, but he treats people well around him. Donaldson doesn't do that.

My friend who writes nationally says Donaldson is one of the five worst people he has had to work with (George Brett also on the list. And he's a Cardinals fan).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:27 PM 12-14-2017
Hosmer is a douche, but he treats people well around him. Donaldson doesn't do that.

My friend who writes nationally says Donaldson is one of the five worst people he has had to work with (George Brett also on the list. And he's a Cardinals fan).
Maybe your friend is a douche...

:-)
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:34 PM 12-14-2017
George Brett has never struck me as anything other than an abusive, loud alcoholic. I legit despise that guy.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:42 PM 12-14-2017
All I'll say about Hosmer is that I think the metrics at 1B place too much emphasis on range and don't do a good job of accounting for various run-saving items (scoops, stretches, etc).

Hosmer does not have good range... but he has exceptional feet, and saves a bunch of throws a year that the average 1B either couldn't reach or scoop while maintaining contact with the bag.

The 1B metrics are so far out of round with the eye test, I can't place any weight in them. Eric Hosmer being a worse defender than guys like Chris Carter, Jose Abreu, etc. is not credible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:49 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
George Brett has never struck me as anything other than an abusive, loud alcoholic. I legit despise that guy.
Never met him but my mom did a couple times.

She friggen loathes the guy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:55 PM 12-14-2017
All I'll say about Hosmer is that I think the metrics at 1B place too much emphasis on range and don't do a good job of accounting for various run-saving items (scoops, stretches, etc).

Hosmer does not have good range... but he has exceptional feet, and saves a bunch of throws a year that the average 1B either couldn't reach or scoop while maintaining contact with the bag.

The 1B metrics are so far out of round with the eye test, I can't place any weight in them. Eric Hosmer being a worse defender than guys like Chris Carter, Jose Abreu, etc. is not credible.
The value of 'run prevention' from those kind of plays at 1b is never noticed until you lose it. The best example you'll ever see is the swap from Olerud to Zeile to Mo Vaughn with the Mets in the early 2000s. They went from having articles written about them being the best defense in baseball history with Olerud at first to a complete laughing stock with Vaughn despite most of the parts being the same. It completely wrecked Rey Ordonez.

I've never got the impression watching Hosmer that he's the comically bad 1b that the metrics say he is. I just never got the impression that he's particularly good either. On balance, I wouldn't bother calling his defense an asset or a liability. And since his bat takes every other year off (and every other month off even when he's good), I'm completely disinclined to pay for his stick.

An erratic offensive player at an offense first position who's defensive weaknesses probably roughly match his strengths? Um...okay. Have fun paying that guy $20 million/season. I'm out.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:25 PM 12-14-2017
The value of 'run prevention' from those kind of plays at 1b is never noticed until you lose it. The best example you'll ever see is the swap from Olerud to Zeile to Mo Vaughn with the Mets in the early 2000s. They went from having articles written about them being the best defense in baseball history with Olerud at first to a complete laughing stock with Vaughn despite most of the parts being the same. It completely wrecked Rey Ordonez.

I've never got the impression watching Hosmer that he's the comically bad 1b that the metrics say he is. I just never got the impression that he's particularly good either. On balance, I wouldn't bother calling his defense an asset or a liability. And since his bat takes every other year off (and every other month off even when he's good), I'm completely disinclined to pay for his stick.

An erratic offensive player at an offense first position who's defensive weaknesses probably roughly match his strengths? Um...okay. Have fun paying that guy $20 million/season. I'm out.

All fair, man.

I'm terrified of what he's going to be once his hand-eye starts to erode as he leaves his prime physical years.

IF you could convince him actually adjust his swing, it would become less of a problem. But I don't believe anyone can do that.

I'd be hesitant to hand out any big contract to him. Just had to chip in on his defense a bit.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:19 PM 12-14-2017
With all this talk about the Orioles ready to trade Machado, the owner is making it sound a bit more bleak.

The guy is worried about the Yankees eventually winding up with him. Just ****ing trade him to the Yankees you moron, it's not like you are competing for the division this year. He's on a 1 year contract and they have a need and given that they are in your division you could probably get the best possible return from them and they have one of the best farm systems in the game. In all likelihood hes gonna end up there next year anyways so you might as well try to nuke that farm system so they dont have even MORE ammo for the future.
[Reply]
kcpasco 07:58 PM 12-14-2017
Originally Posted by jd1020:
With all this talk about the Orioles ready to trade Machado, the owner is making it sound a bit more bleak.

The guy is worried about the Yankees eventually winding up with him. Just ****ing trade him to the Yankees you moron, it's not like you are competing for the division this year. He's on a 1 year contract and they have a need and given that they are in your division you could probably get the best possible return from them and they have one of the best farm systems in the game. In all likelihood hes gonna end up there next year anyways so you might as well try to nuke that farm system so they dont have even MORE ammo for the future.
So you wouldn’t have a problem with the Cubs trading Bryant or Rizzo to the Cardinals? That’s basically what you are asking Orioles fans to put up with.

You don’t trade star players within the division unless the return is so absurd it’s laughable.
[Reply]
Page 116 of 130
« First < 1666106112113114115116 117118119120126 > Last »
Up