ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 28
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign former Bills Punter Matt Araiza
wazu 02:06 PM 02-22-2024

A big development in KC: Chiefs are signing former Bills punter Matt Araiza, per source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) February 22, 2024

[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:57 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
No he isn't.

Find me some numbers that support it. He was, at best, an average punter last season. Even stuff like Puntalytics has him barely in the top 20 and that's all they do.

Wanna say you're worried about the holding aspect of it? Aight - worry away, I guess. But as a punter, Townsend was nothing special. He has been a JAG most of his career with one notably good season in 2022.
Tommy seems to have a big but very inconsistent leg.

Not someone I want to pay. Sometimes he looks incredible, but he’s shanked plenty in his career. Can’t have that inconsistency.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:59 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
https://youtu.be/b2QD1kwMse8?si=I8BwaCQ1-4TN5Jaw
Time to merge this thread with the Kagney Linn Karter thread.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 02:59 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by New World Order:
"It's like they're rubbing our noses in it.

I seriously hate them more than NE.
"

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/commun...ge/3/#comments
LOLOL I was just over there. Their responses are predictably epic. They hate us so much at this point, it's almost turned to admiration. I love that place!
[Reply]
staylor26 03:00 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch:
https://youtu.be/b2QD1kwMse8?si=I8BwaCQ1-4TN5Jaw
"I ate somebody's ass before, but that's only because they wanted it."

Sure, Jan.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:00 PM 02-22-2024
Butker has one more year left. Everyone okay with paying him big money? Because I sure as hell am
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:01 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
They better be 200% sure he can hold. Justin Tucker kept his punter around for an eternity because he refused to change holders. Doesn't make me comfortable that he was learning to hold for a very short buffalo training camp.

Also, as of now we know the dude has an unreal leg. Still a lot to prove that he's a better all around punter. Touchback rate isn't great for a league and a team that will need a lot of shorter field punts. I mean I guess it's worth a shot to see how much he can flash in the next few months before you make a decision on Townsend. But I don't think we'll have nearly enough time to know what we have before we make that call on Townsend
The call has been made on Townsend. He's a pending FA who hired Drew Rosenhause. He's gone.

Now there may still be a call to make between Araiza and some fungible UDFA or SFA competition - sure. And when it gets made, that's fine too.

Because all we've lost is a league average punter with consistency issues who was mis-hitting the shit out of about half his punts in the post-season. Credit to him for getting a tough snap down but there are bad snaps every single week and most holders get them down.

You know what Matt Ariaza will be doing for the 40 hours/wk his teammates are out there in pads? Learning how to hold. WTF else does he have to do?

That's why punters are almost always the holders now. Practice time limitations mean that you need your QB2 out there running scout team against your defense instead of hanging out with the STs bozos.

But your punter? He's just hanging out. So you send him out there with the long-snapper and teach him how to {checks notes} catch a snap.

It'll be fine.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:01 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Butker has one more year left. Everyone okay with paying him big money? Because I sure as hell am
Yes.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:03 PM 02-22-2024
Yes.
Tucker is the highest right now at about 6 mil a year. I’m okay paying Butker 8 mil. Dude missed 2 field goals all year and one was because of a deflated football
[Reply]
thabear04 03:03 PM 02-22-2024
Yup don’t want another kicker from a draft like that UCLA Kicker.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 03:05 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by thabear04:
Yup don’t want another kicker from a draft like that UCLA Kicker.
Justin Medlock.

Or how about when the Buccaneers drafted Aguayo? Weird that he was so damn bad.

We have the best in the game, possibly ever. He’s worth it hat it takes.
[Reply]
tredadda 03:05 PM 02-22-2024
Shouldn't change what we pay Jones - offer him what you think he's worth. If he takes it, fantastic. If not, move along.

But it frees up enough space for the kind of moves that paid huge dividends on the fringes of the roster for us the last several seasons. Again, to my eyes its actually:

Townsend

or

Araiza + Tranquill

That's an easy choice.
There might be a little bit more money for a potential FA WR as well.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 03:06 PM 02-22-2024
Originally Posted by tredadda:
There might be a little bit more money for a potential FA WR as well.
Not a chance, this allows us to resign Jones and Sneed but not really able to add a FA WR and that’s okay.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:08 PM 02-22-2024
Tucker is the highest right now at about 6 mil a year. I’m okay paying Butker 8 mil. Dude missed 2 field goals all year and one was because of a deflated football
I don't think you'll need to beat Tucker by that much but hey, if that's what it costs I'd be fine with it.

I've said this before but I've never understood the "Don't pay a kicker" or "Don't draft a kicker" thing. Those guys generate points. They're not punters - they friggen matter out there. And Butker has saved us innumerable times over the last several years. He's completely unflappable and I think if we needed a 65 yarder to win/tie in the post-season over the next 4-6 years, he'd hit it.

That's worth a fair chunk. I'd be just fine adding 5 years to the back of his present deal to take him through his age 34 season. 5/35 with, say, $15 million in guarantees? Yeah - done. I'm in.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 03:08 PM 02-22-2024
No he isn't.

Find me some numbers that support it. He was, at best, an average punter last season. Even stuff like Puntalytics has him barely in the top 20 and that's all they do.

Wanna say you're worried about the holding aspect of it? Aight - worry away, I guess. But as a punter, Townsend was nothing special. He has been a JAG most of his career with one notably good season in 2022.
Isn't that the same data that had him as the second best punter last season?
[Reply]
DRM08 03:08 PM 02-22-2024
He is already making big money by kicker standards. Not like he’s on a rookie deal for peanuts.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 28
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up