ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Beards
Holladay 10:19 PM 11-21-2020
I don't like shaving. Most guys don't. My wife doesn't like facial hair but alas she is away for awhile. I am ex-military. We weren't allowed to grow beards (not a submariner) so now I can grow a beard to save time.

For one, it itches like a bit@##. It is now long enough to grab (1/4"). I have tried a few times in the past, but after a week, it itches so bad, I cut the dang thang off.

Second, I looked into "how to make it softer". Dang you are suppose to oil it 2x per day. That takes longer than shaving.

I read to use coconut oil on the hair follicles to imbibe moister thus keeps them from being brittle.

Originally Posted by :
What you have to do is warm two teaspoons of olive oil and then massage it on your beard. You could also leave it overnight since olive oil has no side effects. Wash it off with lukewarm water and your beard will softer in the first use itself.
Gross:

Originally Posted by :
Sorry to break it to you, but that beard on your face is technically pubic hair. ... The follicles of beard hair are composed similarly to the hair on a man's groin and armpits,
Dunno, is it worth the time.

Of course a personal point. Also a desired look....mine is all grey:-)
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:43 AM 11-22-2020
I have had a beard most of my adult life. I think it is a family thing, my dad has always had some form of facial hair pretty much at all times. He has played Santa Claus in recent years only needing to add a stomach pouch to look the part. At 81 he has decided he doesn't want to deal with the kids like that but still has the beard for the part.

I let mine grow out this year but finally got tired of it and trimmed it back with a 1/2" guard a few days ago. Took a good 3" off. Kind of cold right now! :-)

But at no point in my life have I felt a great need for any kind of oil. I used some this year with the longer beard but not with any consistency. It made it smell nice but it also made it kind of shiny which I really did not like.

Finally, I also just lather it in the shower with my Pert and trim the edges also while in the shower. Trim the length as needed when if the length bothers you or it just need tamed a little.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 09:33 AM 11-22-2020
I'm off and on with it...

I have to oil mine in the winter dry air because if I dont, my chin strap area gets really dry, to the point my skin underneath starts flaking, and its gross. Summer time it's humid enough here in midwest I don't run into that problem.
[Reply]
oldman 09:55 AM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by unlurking:
Anyone else dealing with "mask beard"? Early on a friend make me some masks with a beard pocket. Unfortunately that was like 8 months ago and my beard has grown out of it and I don't feel like having her make longer ones. I now keep a comb in my truck just to try and minimize the stupid crease my Chiefs masks make. :-)
Look on Amazon, they have several masks for guys with beards. Just make sure you order the kind with filters and you get the XL size. Unless you have a mountain man/ZZ Top beard, you should be good to go.

Beards will itch for a few days while growing them. I normally keep mine pretty short and don't have any problem with itching after about a week. I've never used any oils.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:27 AM 11-22-2020
I just shaved this morning because I was starting to look like Todd Haley...
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 10:30 AM 11-22-2020
Anyone else dealing with "mask beard"? Early on a friend make me some masks with a beard pocket. Unfortunately that was like 8 months ago and my beard has grown out of it and I don't feel like having her make longer ones. I now keep a comb in my truck just to try and minimize the stupid crease my Chiefs masks make. :-)
Normally I let my beard just go mountain man in the winter, but with wearing a mask, I've been trying to keep it trimmed up - been using a #2 guard on the Wahl barber shears. That seems to keep it long enough to look like a beard but short enough the mask doesn't ride up over the chin or get matted/weird looking after wearing it.

*sigh*
[Reply]
Lzen 12:21 PM 11-22-2020
Haven't noticed that but my motorcycle helmet strap has always caused mine to look funny. I carry a beard comb on the bike nowadays.
[Reply]
eDave 12:25 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
:-)

Far from a hipster but men have been using oils in hair and beards for a long long time.

As a kid going to the barber I would see men getting a hair cut and beard trims. After is was all said and done there was a bottle of Cremo beard and hair treatment if you preferred. My dad was a Brylcreem hair gel guy who never wore a beard as far as I remember.
Do you oil the hair on your head and on your balls?
[Reply]
Lzen 12:35 PM 11-22-2020
I use beard oil. That's because mine is coarse and the oil helps to control it.
[Reply]
Pablo 12:39 PM 11-22-2020
Had a beard for about 5 years now. Used to go clean shaven or stubble for my adult life. Wife never had seen me with one and she likes the way it looks. Easy for me, just trim it up and it grows in thick and luscious. I do use beard oil and a shower scrub like once a week, but will start doing more in the winter time because I got the dry skin and it makes a big difference.

I never let mine get to a long stage, just enough that it looks good and I don't have to do too much maintenance. The wife hates when I let the handlebars out though. I can get some really nice ones going and she says it makes me look like a rapist. I can live with that.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:47 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
This may be the only time I have agreed with SRVY. I have literally had a beard for the last 6 years and I can definitely tell a difference when I don't oil it a few times a week. I don't use much cuz I don't like my beard being shiny, just soft.
[Reply]
MatriculatingHank 12:53 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I just shaved this morning because I was starting to look like Todd Haley...
Todd Haley says "Fuck you George!" :-)
[Reply]
srvy 01:01 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Dont have enough hair on my head nowadays.
[Reply]
srvy 01:06 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
I'm off and on with it...

I have to oil mine in the winter dry air because if I dont, my chin strap area gets really dry, to the point my skin underneath starts flaking, and its gross. Summer time it's humid enough here in midwest I don't run into that problem.
I am right with you on this. We had an old bottle of baby oil still around the house with no babies I tried but seemed way too oily. I read and gave coconut oil a try it works really good but again smells. Settled on beard oil in sandalwood or deep forest scent and it tolerable with no flaking.
[Reply]
unlurking 01:24 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by oldman:
Look on Amazon, they have several masks for guys with beards. Just make sure you order the kind with filters and you get the XL size. Unless you have a mountain man/ZZ Top beard, you should be good to go.

Beards will itch for a few days while growing them. I normally keep mine pretty short and don't have any problem with itching after about a week. I've never used any oils.
Nothing on Amazon, keep checking. My friend made me 4 of these...

https://www.instructables.com/COVID-19-Beard-Mask/

Not ZZTop, but my beard was the same length as his 8 months ago. With a regular mask, my face looks like a bikini on Mrs. Bigfoot.
Attached: Screenshot from 2020-11-22 12-27-32.png (279.8 KB) 
[Reply]
unlurking 01:30 PM 11-22-2020
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan:
Normally I let my beard just go mountain man in the winter, but with wearing a mask, I've been trying to keep it trimmed up - been using a #2 guard on the Wahl barber shears. That seems to keep it long enough to look like a beard but short enough the mask doesn't ride up over the chin or get matted/weird looking after wearing it.

*sigh*
I went the other way and decided to give a go at a beardly since I've basically had a large chin strap most of my adult life. Figured I don't have to dress for work at the moment, and I've always been curious how I'd look with longer beard.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up