ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 3903
« First < 404647484950 51525354601001505501050 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 12:58 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by R Clark:
Lol I’ve noticed most people who are wearing masks are Asian
Chinese. Serves them right for China creating this shit in the first place.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 12:59 PM 03-05-2020
What impact will COVID-19 have on PROSTITUTION(the worlds oldest profession)? Will rates go down? Will masks be required? Will a STD be the least of your worries?
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 03-05-2020, 01:01 PM
This message has been deleted by BIG_DADDY. Reason: Didn't read previous post
DaFace 01:01 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
The WHO sent 25 international experts to China and here are their main findings after 9 days:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c...erts_to_china/
This is encouraging.

Love or hate China, they certainly are able to mobilize a huge response to this kind of thing.
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:01 PM 03-05-2020
The WHO sent 25 international experts to China and here are their main findings after 9 days:

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c...erts_to_china/
It sounds like the Chinese did a pretty good job.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 03-05-2020, 01:05 PM
This message has been deleted by BIG_DADDY. Reason: Didn't read previous post
TLO 01:16 PM 03-05-2020
Something I keep hearing people talking about is this "massive outbreak" that the hospitals won't be able to handle.

Ok I suppose that this definitely is a possibility. But this thing went undetected in Washington State for 4-6 weeks. Did the hospitals gets overrun during this time? It doesn't seem like it. Yes Washington State has been the hardest hit, but the numbers aren't outrageous horrifying. (Unless you're a much older person)
[Reply]
BWillie 01:19 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
If I have to cough or sneeze I try to hold it until I can stand right next to one of those people wearing a mask and then I really let it fly.
Why would you do that?
[Reply]
TLO 01:21 PM 03-05-2020
ER doctor: Americans must live their lives, 98 to 99% of people who get coronavirus will 'do just fine'

In the face of rapidly spreading coronavirus anxiety, Americans must continue to live their lives, said emergency room physician Dr. James Phillips.

In an interview Tuesday on "America's Newsroom" with host Ed Henry, Phillips stressed that the vast majority of the public is "going to do just fine."

"Most of us are going to get this virus. It's undeniable. You won't find a single expert out there who is saying that this is going to be contained," said Phillips, who serves as the George Washington University School of Medicine's operational medicine fellowship director.

"And, the more we learn about it, the more we see that the spread is going to be global and, for the most part, that's OK because the data we know from China shows that roughly 98 to 99 percent of us are going to do very, very, well," he told Henry.

Thus far, there are over 95,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus and over 3,300 deaths worldwide. Of those cases, there are at least 129 cases and 11 deaths recorded in the United States. Washington state has been hit especially hard by the virus, with nine deaths at a nursing home near Seattle. The death rate is about 3.4 percent.

Most of those taken by the COVID-19 virus are older, infirmed, or those with weak immune systems and Phillips conceded that there is a "certain percentage" of Americans who are "going to get more sick than others.

"The way that this virus tends to make people sick is really by giving people pneumonia. So, a lower respiratory illness as opposed to most colds that cause upper respiratory infections," he told Henry.

Phillips said coronavirus presented itself like pneumonia in its hosts, but the strength of the virus depends on the proximity from it and the amount of time spent around it.

"The problem with pneumonia is pneumonia itself can be deadly," he said.

Phillips' advice during the outbreak?

"Everyone," he said, "should take a deep breath."
[Reply]
loochy 01:21 PM 03-05-2020

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fbt49e/the_who_sent_25_international_experts_to_china/

Interesting read.

I'll post this tidbit:

Originally Posted by :
That means: If you have direct personal contact with an infected person, the probability of infection is between 1% and 5%.
and this:

Originally Posted by :
Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China. These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans. Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures.

[Reply]
suzzer99 01:22 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It sounds like the Chinese did a pretty good job.
Originally Posted by :
China can now produce 1.6 million test kits for the novel coronavirus per week. The test delivers a result on the same day. Across the country, anyone who goes to the doctor with a fever is screened for the virus: In Guangdong province, far from Wuhan, 320,000 people have been tested, and 0.14% of those were positive for the virus.
Meanwhile in the US we're turning people away w/o testing whom doctors are 99% sure have the virus.
[Reply]
TLO 01:22 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
Interesting read.

I'll post this tidbit:
Is it me, or does that not seem all that high?
[Reply]
suzzer99 01:23 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It also doesn't necessarily jibe with the first bullet point.

Originally Posted by :
When a cluster of several infected people occurred in China, it was most often (78-85%) caused by an infection within the family by droplets and other carriers of infection in close contact with an infected person.
Maybe close contact vs. close extended contact?
[Reply]
loochy 01:25 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
No, it doesn't. The numbers just seem huge because of 1) the massive population of china makes the overall numbers seem high 2) Wuhan's hospital capacity shortage:
Originally Posted by :
Healthcare system: 20% of infected people in China needed hospital treatment for weeks. China has hospital beds to treat 0.4% of the population at the same time - other developed countries have between 0.1% and 1.3% and most of these beds are already occupied with people who have other diseases. The fatality rate was 5.8% in Wuhan but 0.7% in other areas of China, which China explained with the lack of critical care beds in Wuhan.

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 01:26 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Why would you do that?
:-)Just trying to have a good time. :-)
[Reply]
loochy 01:31 PM 03-05-2020
Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY:
:-)Just trying to have a good time. :-)" smilieid="71" >:-)

YEAH THAT SEEMS SO FUN

HOW ABOUT I SNEEZE ON YOUR UNVACCINATED PIT BULL?
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:33 PM 03-05-2020
Yeah for as much shit as China received for their reaction to this it seems they actually did a very good job of containing this. If these reports of people showing up to the ER with several different reasons to think they have coronavirus, but are being sent away, then this is gonna spread pretty rapidly in the US. I don't believe stories like that most of the time as they are filled with half truths and sensationalized, so who knows.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 3903
« First < 404647484950 51525354601001505501050 > Last »
Up