ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Media Center>First Rock & Roll concert you ever saw?
BigRedChief 01:33 AM 07-19-2020
Share whatever you want of the milestone

Oct. 2nd 1974. The New York Dolls and Lynyrd Skynyrd in Springfield, Missouri in what Was a bowling alley but I think it’s a Church now on Glenstone. Not too far from chestnut expressway. They both blew my mind. Opened up possibilities.
[Reply]
oldman 12:03 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
All these years and I just fairly recently learned from my mother that she saw The Who at Shawnee Mission South.

You read that right....The Who played SM south’s prom (in 68 I believe).

Can you imagine??!!!
That's true, it was either the 1st or 2nd year for SM South, but I think it was their winter formal or maybe Homecoming. My best friend graduated from there in 1969.
[Reply]
sully1983 12:06 PM 07-29-2020
don't laugh too hard but it was Matchbox 20 (can't quite remember the year exactly tho as I was a high teenager at the time). Oh and it was a free concert too

2nd concert was Staind. Now that was insane. Just a wild show all together
[Reply]
stevieray 04:50 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
before REO went with the ballad shit, they were a great rock and roll band from 1973-1982 or so. Gary was very underrated guitarist of that generation.
Flying Turkey Trot!
[Reply]
stevieray 04:52 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This was broadcast on radio nationwide live. Excellent capture of them at their height. Quality live recording for 1978. First tour they did Roll with the Changes.
The Checkerdome, St. Louis, Missouri May 11 1978 WCOZ-FM Boston Mass (RIP) Broadcast 01.

Dj Intro
02. Son Of A Poor Man
03. Like You Do
04. Lucky For You
05. Say You Love Me Or Say Goodnight
06. Roll With The Changes
07. Being Kind
08. Keep Pushin'
09. The Unidentified Flying Tuna Trot
10. 157 Riverside Avenue
11. Ridin' The Storm Out --- Station ID + DJ Talking Before
Encore
12. Golden Country

like you do jams!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:38 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
like you do jams!
I know. Back in the day I’d try to get people to listen to REO. They rock ....... here just listen to Gary here......just couldn’t get them past the ballad shit. I stumbled onto that recording searching for something else. Recording live radio with tech 42 years old and it still sounds good.
[Reply]
EPodolak 09:07 PM 07-29-2020
Originally Posted by oldman:
The Beatles, Kansas City Muncipal Stadium, September, 1964. We were sitting on the field. I'd like to say it was the best concert I ever saw, but it was pretty bad. Only about 30 min. and we couldn't hear much.
Heh...this still kinda wins the thread, for me.
[Reply]
Pushead2 01:18 AM 07-30-2020
Metallica on the Load tour at MSG.
[Reply]
Steron 06:39 AM 07-30-2020
First :
Boston - Third Stage, Norfolk, VA 1987

Best :
Eagles (twice) - Farewell 1, Washington, DC, 2003 & History of, Raleigh, NC, 2015
[Reply]
Frazod 08:14 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Steron:
First :
Boston - Third Stage, Norfolk, VA 1987

Best :
Eagles (twice) - Farewell 1, Washington, DC, 2003 & History of, Raleigh, NC, 2015
I've seen the Eagles four times over the years - twice on the Hell Freezes Over tour, and twice after that. While they were always great, on Hell Freezes Over they were exceptional. It seems clear that they were sending a message to everybody that they were back and meant business. They seemed to be more relaxed and having more fun in the two later shows.

As for Boston, my second favorite group, I had tickets to see them and Cheap Trick back in '96, but Tom Scholz broke his arm and the show was cancelled. Never did end up seeing them.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:00 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
As for Boston, my second favorite group, I had tickets to see them and Cheap Trick back in '96, but Tom Scholz broke his arm and the show was cancelled. Never did end up seeing them.
Did it take 7 years to heal?
[Reply]
Frazod 09:17 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Did it take 7 years to heal?
No idea. If they were up here again after that I must have missed it. Wish now that I’d paid more attention to their schedule.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:24 AM 07-30-2020
No idea. If they were up here again after that I must have missed it. Wish now that I’d paid more attention to their schedule.
Heh, it was meant as a joke about Scholz's, shall we say, deliberate way of producing albums. :-)
[Reply]
Cristina0007 07-30-2020, 09:50 AM
This message has been deleted by Bearcat.
Frosty 11:57 AM 07-30-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Dale Bozzio the singer of Missing Persons has seen better times.
Strangely, almost 40 years can do that to a person.

I saw Missing Persons in '83 when Dale was still in her prime.

This is how she looked in the concert I saw, with the same outfit:

[Reply]
Steron 01:18 PM 07-30-2020
I've seen the Eagles four times over the years - twice on the Hell Freezes Over tour, and twice after that. While they were always great, on Hell Freezes Over they were exceptional. It seems clear that they were sending a message to everybody that they were back and meant business. They seemed to be more relaxed and having more fun in the two later shows.

They never broke up, they just took a 14 year vacation. :-)

I took my dad to the Farewell 1 show for Christmas. They were always his favorite band and because of him they became mine too. He never got to see them live. Watching him sing along with every song was cool. It was a very special time that I won't forget. He's much older and frail now and I don't think he could take going. Strokes are rough things. The second time time I saw them, I took my wife. It was amazing. Joe Walsh must have been feeling good that night. He was the life of the show.

It was such a sad day when Glenn Frey died. I'm not ashamed to say that it made me cry. I was kind of pissed when I heard Henley say they were going back on tour. Then I heard Deacon Frey was joining them along with Vince Gill. I have watched a bunch of concert footage with Deacon singing lead. He only does 2 or 3 but he does them really well. He has certainly grown more confident now. That said, I don't think I could go see them without Glenn Frey. It just doesn't feel right.

Dude, that sucks about Boston. They were so good.
[Reply]
Dartgod 02:02 PM 07-30-2020
So you never saw Boston? I knew you were a big fan, I always assumed you had seen them live a few times.

I saw them in '79 at Municipal Auditorium in KC and then again in '95 in Las Vegas on a whim. I was out there for a dart tournament and was looking for something to do one night and saw that they were at the old Aladdin for one show. My buddy won enough on a slot machine while we were waiting in line to pay for our tickets.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Up