ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 976 of 1207
« First < 476876926966972973974975976 97797897998098610261076 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
SuperChief 03:10 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Why didn’t you invite me, asshole? :-)

If you haven’t tried dry brining, do it.
Ohhhhh, tell me more about this!

And yes - next time you're there duder! :-):-):-)
[Reply]
SuperChief 03:12 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Nice, VERY nice. One time you might want to try rosemary to the effort...

I actually use dried rosemary to season the grape seed oil in the pan, then do pretty-much what you do. Again, AWESOME!

Well, before I moved on to Sous Vide.... :-)
Ya know, I called my mom and talked about the endeavor after I devoured it, and the first thing she recommended was rosemary :-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 03:19 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Ya know, I called my mom and talked about the endeavor after I devoured it, and the first thing she recommended was rosemary :-)
True, and no need to buy-off on the fresh stuff, the stuff in the bottle will do just fine IMO.

And you can add it to your oily sex night and not suffer getting poked by the fresh stuff.... :-)

:-)
[Reply]
candyman 03:50 PM 03-23-2020
Wish FMB was here to answer this but I'll ask you degenerates instead.

Just started using a cast iron pan for steaks, amazing results but any tips on preventing the kitchen from smoking up?
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:59 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by candyman:

Just started using a cast iron pan for steaks, amazing results but any tips on preventing the kitchen from smoking up?
If you don’t have one above the stove, grab a fan from your grow operation and aim it at the nearest open window :-)
[Reply]
candyman 04:05 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
If you don’t have one above the stove, grab a fan from your grow operation and aim it at the nearest open window :-)
I do have one but it doesn't come close to containing all of that smoke.

I think I'm going to preheat the pan in the oven @ 500 then quickly take it out to a preheated gas grill outside before putting them on.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:12 PM 03-23-2020

This works, but it's a little tedious. The big keys here are an oil with a higher smoke point than olive oil or butter (I typically use canola), and allowing your meat to come to room temp before searing. This reduces the time needed to cook your steak through to whatever doneness you like. It can be as little as 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.

Coincidentally, this is also where sous vide comes to the rescue. If you sous vide your steaks or whatever prior to searing, then your time on the pan is reduced by half, meaning less time for the oils/fats to break down and begin smoking. But that's another story.
[Reply]
candyman 04:15 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
This works, but it's a little tedious. The big keys here are an oil with a higher smoke point than olive oil or butter (I typically use canola), and allowing your meat to come to room temp before searing. This reduces the time needed to cook your steak through to whatever doneness you like. It can be as little as 3 minutes per side for medium-rare.

Coincidentally, this is also where sous vide comes to the rescue. If you sous vide your steaks or whatever prior to searing, then your time on the pan is reduced by half, meaning less time for the oils/fats to break down and begin smoking. But that's another story.
I do sous vide before, still smokes the hell out of my kitchen after 3 batches of steak (large fam to cook for). I do use olive oil though. I'll try canola next time.
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:53 PM 03-23-2020
I do sous vide before, still smokes the hell out of my kitchen after 3 batches of steak (large fam to cook for). I do use olive oil though. I'll try canola next time.
Didn't know you were cooking more than a couple steaks.

This might be a better alternative:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2131274

Also, remember the bit about brushing the oil on the steak; don't pour oil into the pan. It should be a dry pan.

For multiple cycles, you'll have to wipe/pour out the pan out between batches if there's excess oils/fats in the bottom of it. You want the pan pretty dry before throwing new steaks on it. Basically a sheen of oil is okay, a little pond is not.

And besides canola you can try peanut oil. If you want that buttery flavor from butter or grassy flavor from EVOO right after the steaks come out of the oven pour a dollop of EVOO onto the steak and brush all over, or simply throw a pat of butter onto the steak and let it melt under the foil as its resting.

One other way to get that buttery flavor but with a meatiness is after cooking all of your steaks, pull the pan out of the oven and put it on the stovetop and toss a few pats/tablespoons of butter into it at medium-low heat until it turns slightly brown then pour over steaks.
[Reply]
candyman 05:32 PM 03-23-2020
Thanks. That's probably my biggest issue, not cleaning the pan out in between batches.
[Reply]
Pablo 05:58 PM 03-23-2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:12 PM 03-23-2020

If it's the meat, there's not much you can do, but try grape seed oil, it should help for the oil smoke part.

And Sous Vide solves a lot of it too, but you still have to sear when doing Sous Vide... But it's not as much smoke.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:16 PM 03-23-2020
This is true, Sous Vide is of the Gods (!!!!), it's one of the reasons I love my grills side-burner for either method. But I still use grape seed oil.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:08 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
Ohhhhh, tell me more about this!

And yes - next time you're there duder! :-):-):-)
Credit to FMB here. I wish he were around to explain it better than I can. But essentially, you rub the thawed steak with the salt and pepper you used this time and let sit 24 hours in the fridge.

I don't remember all the science, but I think the juices from the meat dissolve the salt and through osmosis is taken into the meat. Then when you cook it, it won't take juices away from your cooking to absorb the rub. This leaves you with juicier (yet - what you're doing leads to a good juicy steak) steaks, burgers, whatever.

I'm sure there are all sorts of stuff on the web, but I got all that from FMB. It's a noticeable difference. Just like a myriad of other foodie subjects, FMB did all the leg work, then improved my life with his knowledge. :-)
[Reply]
Sorce 12:19 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
This is true, Sous Vide is of the Gods (!!!!), it's one of the reasons I love my grills side-burner for either method. But I still use grape seed oil.
Avacado oil will have your highest smoke point. But is still 520. I like to get that cast iron pan as hot as I can for searing. I just normally do it outside on a side burner.
[Reply]
Page 976 of 1207
« First < 476876926966972973974975976 97797897998098610261076 > Last »
Up