ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 934 of 934
« First < 434834884924930931932933934
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
UteChief 07:40 PM 04-16-2024
I think it’s the 60/40 rule. I need to research as it’s been a while.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:12 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by myselff77:
For you option traders, any advice how you got started and avoid anything stupid that pisses away your money?

Also, I assume any gains are getting taxed at the short term rate unless in something like a roth or does some other tax situation exist when trading options?
There is no faster way to blow up an account than options trading.

What's your investing experience?
[Reply]
Dunit35 07:32 PM Yesterday
First off. I’m not a big investor. I have a separate police retirement growing but started a Roth IRA in December. I don’t put much in it, $100/every two weeks. I noticed it’s been dropping all week. Should I continue putting money in it or save my money since it’s tanking? I’m not negative yet but should be next week when this continues.

I only buy two mutual funds through Charles Schwab. SWTSX and SWISX. Mainly because I have no idea what I’m doing and just saw these on other forums.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:30 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
First off. I’m not a big investor. I have a separate police retirement growing but started a Roth IRA in December. I don’t put much in it, $100/every two weeks. I noticed it’s been dropping all week. Should I continue putting money in it or save my money since it’s tanking? I’m not negative yet but should be next week when this continues.

I only buy two mutual funds through Charles Schwab. SWTSX and SWISX. Mainly because I have no idea what I’m doing and just saw these on other forums.
If you're still in your working career, the accepted rule is that you keep putting money into it when it's going down. Eventually it'll go back up and you picked up some cheap shares. The concept is called dollar cost averaging.

We're all taking big hits this month. I have to adjust my mindset to know that it's just going to happen, and as long as I've got a system that lets me avoid selling during a pullback, I can soldier through it and it'll eventually go back up.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:31 PM Yesterday
Now is one of the better times to be buying. The market has been extended far too long and a healthy pullback and reset was due for equities.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:03 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by Dunit35:

Few things. You're doing the right thing.

I don't know what all you know, so if you already know it, accept my apologies.

What you have is a ROTH IRA. Understanding how it works impacts how you view it.

A ROTH IRA is a retirement account, meaning there are penalties if you pull it out before 59.5 years old That gives you a long term approach. The other component of ROTH that is important to know is that contributions go in after tax. Meaning you have paid tax on all contributions...BUT everything that comes out is tax free. So presuming there are capital gains, that is tax free. So the perspective to adopt here you are accumulating as many shares as possible because you have a long time for those shares to appreciate and capture the tax free gain.

Look up Dollar Cost Averaging. That prevents trying to time the market (and potentially being catestrophically wrong). Since you have time, I'd just buy it every 2 weeks and not even look at the balance. Just let it go.

Here is a 90 year graph of the S&P 500. At any point in history, if you have a 30 year time window, it will appreciate. Plus, if you're dollar cost averaging, you're buying more shares as the price goes down, so if it takes off, you're growing a bigger position. One way to think about it is when the market goes down, you're buying on sale. Same asset, cheaper price.

NOTE: I'm not licensed. I can't advise you, this is just what I'd do.

As far as the funds, I'm not a big International fund guy. There hasn't been a big time when International has outperformed American ones. But almost every fiduciary or CFP will tell you international is important to a diversified portfolio. They're probably correct. I just disagree.

I'm also a big S&P500 guy. But I ran a quick backtest of Schwabs S&P500 Index fund (SWPPX) to your SWTSX, and there isn't much of a difference so I think you're good there.

Backtest Link

If it's me (and it's not - it's very much you. We may have different risk tolerances), I'd switch it up a bit. What you have is about as diversified as you can be. Which is fine if that's what you're after. Since you have your pension, you have the base covered as essentially a risk free return, so I think you can be a little less conservative with your IRA. If it's me, I switch the funds up a little bit, and shoot for a little higher return and pull off some diversification. If it's my account I put 50% in SWPPX (S&P 500 Index Fund) and SCHG (Schwab Growth fund).

I ran a backtest on it, and the more aggressive approach yielded 4% better. Those haven't been around too long, so the test only goes back to 2010, so it doesn't look that much different, but it will over time as compounding happens.

Backtest link.

I feel pretty confident about the DCA comments, but probably less so about picking funds. I can be pretty wrong on that, but given what you described, this is what I'd do.
[Reply]
scho63 01:25 AM Today
My SHOP options were a FLOP. Market took back some of my profits.
[Reply]
Page 934 of 934
« First < 434834884924930931932933934
Up