ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1158 of 3903
« First < 15865810581108114811541155115611571158 115911601161116211681208125816582158 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:42 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, "well just get the R0 down below 1" seems like quite the throwaway given that we manage to pull that off...well, never. Especially not with something that seems fairly transmittable on its own.

Getting it to 2 seems reasonable, or even a tick below that. I just cannot imagine they're hand-waiving something as rare as driving a disease out of existence through naturally mitigation. Especially not over a timeline that isn't substantially longer than any potential vaccine would take.

That being the underlying premise just doesn't pass the sniff test to me.
If the virus peaks and then declines, the R-effective is less than 1.

From 538:

Moreover, interventions such as social distancing are being undertaken to bring down R, although actions can vary from location to location. The goal, though, is to get R below 1, which means that a disease begins to die out in a population. (It will die out gradually if R is close to 1 and quickly if it’s close to zero, say, 0.2.
[Reply]
Tnerped 12:44 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Or, you may have some heart problems.
Possibly hypertension, but I've never had any problems... ever. I get checked yearly. I'm 35, never even had the flu, rarely get colds, etc.. it would just seem odd to suddenly have heart issues.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:48 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
If the virus peaks and then declines, the R-effective is less than 1.
It can 'decline' at anywhere between 1 and 2 as the eligible carrier population reduces.

Without a massive reduction in eligible carriers, the odds of it getting anywhere near 1 are effectively zero. And if you just continue to try to stamp it out, you'll never reduce that eligible carrier pool by an amount significant enough to make a dent.

And again, it can't even just be here - that would essentially have to be worldwide unless you're going to lock the borders down, which we couldn't do even if we actively tried to (and for a myriad of reasons, we'll never actually attempt it).

What works in theory won't work in practice here. Not over any reasonable timeline. And frankly, with a disease that can spread through fairly innocuous means, it's unlikely to happen at all. Especially not if this thing ever shows an ability to mutate even slightly.
[Reply]
Pants 12:50 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Tnerped:
Possibly hypertension, but I've never had any problems... ever. I get checked yearly. I'm 35, never even had the flu, rarely get colds, etc.. it would just seem odd to suddenly have heart issues.
PLEASE go get checked. There are new articles coming out talking about COVID-19 causing cardiovascular damage in some people.

https://khn.org/news/mysterious-hear...d-19-patients/

Hopefully you have a good doctor who will listen and address your concerns. Even if it's not COVID-19, it will still pay to get checked.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:53 PM 04-06-2020
Tell me more about the IMHE models, fellas...

https://twitter.com/justin_hart/stat...02742977695744

Remember - these assumed social distancing was in place. These weren't the 'do nothing, worst case scenario' projections. And they only missed the mark in Alabama by a factor of 13.

Great models we're working from here.

NY -- from 75K to 25K (still way off)
Cal -- from 10K to 5K
Alabama -- from 26K to less than 2.
Colorado -- from 8300 peak to less than 500
Lousiana peak from 7400 to less than 1,000

State over state over state. They weren't missing by 25% or even 100% in most cases. They're missing in many cases by 5-6 orders of magnitude. I mean it's beyond any reason at all. Throw numbers in a fucking hopper and pull them out and you wouldn't have been worse off.

Just remarkably awful and THIS is what we were basing decisions off of.
[Reply]
TLO 01:00 PM 04-06-2020
Numbers in Missouri yesterday

Cases in Missouri: 2,367

Total Deaths: 34

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 29,480

Numbers in Missouri today

Cases in Missouri: 2,722

Total Deaths: 39

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 29,480 (not yet updated for 4/6/20)
[Reply]
O.city 01:01 PM 04-06-2020
I can’t seem to figure out what parameters they had set that caused the model to be off by THAT much. It makes no sense
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:02 PM 04-06-2020

Remember - these assumed social distancing was in place. These weren't the 'do nothing, worst case scenario' projections. And they only missed the mark in Alabama by a factor of 13.

Cal -- from 10K to 5K

State over state over state. They weren't missing by 25% or even 100% in most cases. They're missing in many cases by 5-6 orders of magnitude. I mean it's beyond any reason at all. Throw numbers in a ****ing hopper and pull them out and you wouldn't have been worse off.

I am glad they are showing way less. It has to be almost impossible to do a virus model because it is not like you can see this thing moving around and who has it or doesn't.

It is like the HINI numbers, they said 60 million Americans had it but they are guessing on that number. There is no way it was that high.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:04 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I can’t seem to figure out what parameters they had set that caused the model to be off by THAT much. It makes no sense
I mentioned it early on, but the best guess I have is that they assumed erratic behavior patterns rather than the fact that people have routines.

To use that domino thing they liked to do they kept assuming that any time a domino was removed in a chain via social distancing, it stayed removed. But anytime a domino was removed due to illness or isolation, another domino just popped into its place. It presumed behavior patterns that would yield identical likelihoods of bumping into a completely novel party when in fact, nearly all of us see the same handful of people every day. Pop a few of them out and we don't just go find someone else to bump into - the chain simply breaks.

Once a little more information emerged on the Imperial College trash, it suddenly made sense. They depended on an exponential growth model that required erratic human behavior. Humans don't behave erratically.

Just another example of math saying one thing when human behavior says another. Theory over practice. Again and again and again that's where we're screwing up here.
[Reply]
TLO 01:04 PM 04-06-2020
It really kind of boggles my mind.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:06 PM 04-06-2020

The imperial study was way worse. Everybody was using China numbers.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:06 PM 04-06-2020

Cal -- from 10K to 5K

State over state over state. They weren't missing by 25% or even 100% in most cases. They're missing in many cases by 5-6 orders of magnitude. I mean it's beyond any reason at all. Throw numbers in a fucking hopper and pull them out and you wouldn't have been worse off.

It's tough because it easily could have gone the other directly as well. It's not unlike making a weather forecast where they say we're gonna get 12" of snow and the system shifts unexpectedly and we get 1" instead. You have to prepare for the worst-case because it'd be catastrauphic otherwise.

But, yeah, it's not a good look if we go crazy with all of these lockdowns and then find that it's nowhere near as bad as expected.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:07 PM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's tough because it easily could have gone the other directly as well. It's not unlike making a weather forecast where they say we're gonna get 12" of snow and the system shifts unexpectedly and we get 1" instead. You have to prepare for the worst-case because it'd be catastrauphic otherwise.

But, yeah, it's not a good look if we go crazy with all of these lockdowns and then find that it's nowhere near as bad as expected.
The problem wasn't the initial effort. The problem was they were so clearly wrong so quickly and yet we didn't behave any differently.

We continued to act like the results of being wrong were just stats instead of people and kept ignoring those outcomes. Because "well this COULD still happen...all evidence to the contrary..."

You cannot work that way in the real world.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:15 PM 04-06-2020
I mentioned it early on, but the best guess I have is that they assumed erratic behavior patterns rather than the fact that people have routines.

To use that domino thing they liked to do they kept assuming that any time a domino was removed in a chain via social distancing, it stayed removed. But anytime a domino was removed due to illness or isolation, another domino just popped into its place. It presumed behavior patterns that would yield identical likelihoods of bumping into a completely novel party when in fact, nearly all of us see the same handful of people every day. Pop a few of them out and we don't just go find someone else to bump into - the chain simply breaks.

Once a little more information emerged on the Imperial College trash, it suddenly made sense. They depended on an exponential growth model that required erratic human behavior. Humans don't behave erratically.

Just another example of math saying one thing when human behavior says another. Theory over practice. Again and again and again that's where we're screwing up here.
This exact thing was pointed out weeks ago which is why the growth curve isn't exponential regardless of what steps you take.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:15 PM 04-06-2020
Boris Johnson moved to ICU as his conditions worsen.
[Reply]
Page 1158 of 3903
« First < 15865810581108114811541155115611571158 115911601161116211681208125816582158 > Last »
Up