ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Nzoner's Game Room>This offensive line can runblock.
Direckshun 12:56 PM 09-15-2020
So GamePass is being a jerk and not making the All 22 available as of yesterday (haven’t checked back today).

But look at this Baldinger analysis of Clyde’s first game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRFxf3-kAc&t=207s (I’m on my phone.)

Look at that OL. The blocking was superb all game, except on JJ Watt.

It’s pretty fascinating to me the impact a single guard can make. Osemele has added a level of physicality that the entire line has adopted. Wylie looked solid. Reiter looked solid. Fisher and Schwartz were moving bodies. But Kelechi was straight up blowing holes open and the entire line seemed to respond. Why does one guard make the entire line better? Seems crazy but here we are.

Some of that, it must be said, is Clyde, who has Jamaal’s ability to slip through cracks as if they’re wide open holes.

What do you guys see from the offensive line against the Texans?
[Reply]
Kman34 01:00 PM 09-15-2020
Except when we are inside the 5 yard line...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:04 PM 09-15-2020
Zone and cutback runs.

All fucking day.

[Reply]
Sorce 01:05 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Yeah they had trouble against goal line defense. I think part of it was everyone knew we were just running up the gut. the game was pretty much over at that point. I think if we needed to score Andy would have had something more complex to make sure they couldn't just stack the box.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:09 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
So GamePass is being a jerk and not making the All 22 available as of yesterday (haven’t checked back today).

But look at this Baldinger analysis of Clyde’s first game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NCRFxf3-kAc&t=207s (I’m on my phone.)

Look at that OL. The blocking was superb all game, except on JJ Watt.

It’s pretty fascinating to me the impact a single guard can make. Osemele has added a level of physicality that the entire line has adopted. Wylie looked solid. Reiter looked solid. Fisher and Schwartz were moving bodies. But Kelechi was straight up blowing holes open and the entire line seemed to respond. Why does one guard make the entire line better? Seems crazy but here we are.

Some of that, it must be said, is Clyde, who has Jamaal’s ability to slip through cracks as if they’re wide open holes.

What do you guys see from the offensive line against the Texans?
Oh there are plenty of runs that weren't blocked up worth a damn.

The one I just put in the CEH thread - there was NOTHING there and it was a run off the left side. That should've been a no-gain and CEH popped if for 12ish.

One guard made the line better, yes. As did having Fisher back (who was a HUGE difference-maker for the team last year). And getting Wylie back to the right side where he was a genuine asset in 2018.

So essentially 60% of your OL is different than last year and your RB is better at putting you in favorable down/distance spots even when the blocking fails. So you have defenses less able to predict your tendencies and attack them.

It's much more than 'one guard making the entire line better' - there's plenty of turnover among the starters and a RB who gave them a lot of help.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:10 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Kman34:
Texans sold out for the run on those goal line stands. That's why we were able to have receiving TDs down there. Plus Patrick Mahomes is a QB God.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:13 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Oh there are plenty of runs that weren't blocked up worth a damn.

The one I just put in the CEH thread - there was NOTHING there and it was a run off the left side. That should've been a no-gain and CEH popped if for 12ish.

One guard made the line better, yes. As did having Fisher back (who was a HUGE difference-maker for the team last year). And getting Wylie back to the right side where he was a genuine asset in 2018.

So essentially 60% of your OL is different than last year and your RB is better at putting you in favorable down/distance spots even when the blocking fails. So you have defenses less able to predict your tendencies and attack them.

It's much more than 'one guard making the entire line better' - there's plenty of turnover among the starters and a RB who gave them a lot of help.
All of this. They still aren't a great run-blocking unit, but KO made a difference, plus CEH just has much better vision than any RB we have in the room. To say that they've made some huge improvement in that area is a little bit of a stretch right now.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:18 PM 09-15-2020
With a legit running game, this is EASILY the most flawless offense in the league.

If CEH is the guy we think he is, then this is a truly historic offense. It’s hard to find an offense in NFL history that was elite at QB, TE, WR, and RB.

The mid-2000’s Colts were pretty loaded, but Dallas Clark wasn’t elite (even though he was pretty good).
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:24 PM 09-15-2020
DJ and Megatron said it already.

They were good at times and not so good at times. KO was a big improvement at one position but we're yet to see that translate across the rest of the line. It will take time.

And CEH is just going to get better at the season goes on.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:30 PM 09-15-2020
Those zone stretch runs to the outside are going to be absolutely deadly.

Just faking that action and having Hill or Hardman going the other direction is a massive problem for defenses.

Especially when your QB can roll all the way outside the right hash and throw clear to the other boundary. :-):-):-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:37 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
With a legit running game, this is EASILY the most flawless offense in the league.

If CEH is the guy we think he is, then this is a truly historic offense. It’s hard to find an offense in NFL history that was elite at QB, TE, WR, and RB.

The mid-2000’s Colts were pretty loaded, but Dallas Clark wasn’t elite (even though he was pretty good).
The Rams are as close as I can come up with and they had dick at TE.

But they made up for it by having a guy in Faulk who simply wasn't human and 2 HoF caliber WRs. They had their own Robinson in Proehl and their own Hardman in Hakim.

And while Schwartz is a hell of a good OL, he ain't Orlando Pace. And Nutten, Timmermann and Miller were very good in their own right. Warner was also the best pure thrower of a football I've ever seen.

I think you can make a pretty decent argument for that being the best offense of all time, though by year's end this squad, if fully healthy, has a shot at running them down.
[Reply]
Shoes 01:39 PM 09-15-2020
Osemele seems to be a nice pickup- although only one game in.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:43 PM 09-15-2020
The Rams are as close as I can come up with and they had dick at TE.

But they made up for it by having a guy in Faulk who simply wasn't human and 2 HoF caliber WRs. They had their own Robinson in Proehl and their own Hardman in Hakim.

And while Schwartz is a hell of a good OL, he ain't Orlando Pace. And Nutten, Timmermann and Miller were very good in their own right. Warner was also the best pure thrower of a football I've ever seen.

I think you can make a pretty decent argument for that being the best offense of all time, though by year's end this squad, if fully healthy, has a shot at running them down.
Warner was terrific. I always respected his game. Best touch on the ball ever IMO.

That said, I believe Mahomes takes things to another level. For as great as Warner was, he DID have a ceiling (albeit an extremely high one). I’m honestly not sure what Mahomes’s ceiling is. It’s that high.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:53 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Warner was terrific. I always respected his game. Best touch on the ball ever IMO.

That said, I believe Mahomes takes things to another level. For as great as Warner was, he DID have a ceiling (albeit an extremely high one). I’m honestly not sure what Mahomes’s ceiling is. It’s that high.
No question.

But purely as a thrower, he still has a step to take. And I think he's gotten there as a processor because of the incredible strides he made last year, but he'll prove it for sure this year.

That's what made Warner so amazing as well - dude's touch (even when he was throwing those wounded ducks half the time) was supernatural and he seemingly NEVER missed the open guy. He knew who would break open and when it would happen. Guy was a maestro. Mahomes is getting there (may be there) in terms of his feel for the offense, but he doesn't have quite the touch on his passes yet.

But like you said - there's no ceiling on the kid. He could be everything that every great QB in this league ever was. Brady's ability to process in a maelstrom, Manning pre-snap reads, Young's mobility inside the pocket and ability to get necessary yards with his feet, Marino's raw arm strength, Elways fire, Montana's calm, Favre's joy, Rodgers ability to improvise, Brees's precision, Unitas's leadership. Then package it with Jordan's psychotic competitive streak and need to push himself.

I mean literally - take the greatest strength of every one of the top 10 passers of all time and tell me there's a single one of those areas where Mahomes cannot meet or exceed them.

It's just....not human. He's so !@#$ing gifted man, it makes me shake my head. I don't even know what to say about the kid at this point. This kind of guy shouldn't exist.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:54 PM 09-15-2020
Warner was also the best pure thrower of a football I've ever seen.
Who's better: Kurt Warner or Steve Young?
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up