ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Griddles
Fire Me Boy! 11:12 AM 07-31-2018
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

This is a place for sharing. What do you have, what do you like to cook on it?

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:13 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The version you're likely to find at Wal-Mart right now is slightly different. They have a grease trap on the right side and a channel in the front. So the larger pieces on that setup are a little more difficult to deal with but I prefer having that front channel to get grease into while I'm cooking.

He has the updated model that's been out for a month or so. For me personally that model would be a bit of a pain in the ass because the back of mine us up against the rail on my deck so the 'old' version was the way to go. I'd have to slide it out everytime I wanted to get to that grease trap. So depending on where you intend to set yours up, you may want to try to find the style with the right side grease catch and front channel.
I've heard the reason for the redesign was the grease trap - that it doesn't work very well in the old model. I actually wanted the new model because I wanted the full vertical stop in the front.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:19 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I've heard the reason for the redesign was the grease trap - that it doesn't work very well in the old model. I actually wanted the new model because I wanted the full vertical stop in the front.
Yup - that's the only change.

The present trap has a quirk that needed correcting - the little 'nub' after the drain hole is too far back and not angled correctly so the grease will hit it and run backwards toward the front right leg. It makes a damn mess.

There are a dozen different fixes for it and they all work well. The simplest is probably just putting some JB Weld on it to make the nub larger and angled forward towards the trap. The laziest (and thus the one I chose) was just gutting the top off a beer can and putting it over the channel so it falls straight into the beer can.

My dad has the newest version and he kinda hates that vertical stop in the front but I can see plusses and minuses either way. Personally I think I'd prefer being able to take a direct line of attack towards anything on the front of the griddle rather than having to angle down or come from the sides, but having the larger rear opening to shovel the slag into would be nice as well.

Like I said - ultimately I just decided I'd prefer not have to deal with moving my grill out to get to the back anytime I needed to empty the trap.

One thing I really wish they'd have offered on them is a side-burner. I'm still contemplating taking the side burner off my present gas grill and rigging up the regulator to the Blackstone and bolting it on where the side table presently sits. Those side burners come in handy every now and then...

What did you do to put the paper towel rod in? I tear through papertowels trying to keep the utensils in decent working order and everything goes so fast you can't really run inside and grab more. Having a whole roll on a rod would be nice.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:27 AM 08-01-2018
Yup - that's the only change.

The present trap has a quirk that needed correcting - the little 'nub' after the drain hole is too far back and not angled correctly so the grease will hit it and run backwards toward the front right leg. It makes a damn mess.

There are a dozen different fixes for it and they all work well. The simplest is probably just putting some JB Weld on it to make the nub larger and angled forward towards the trap. The laziest (and thus the one I chose) was just gutting the top off a beer can and putting it over the channel so it falls straight into the beer can.

My dad has the newest version and he kinda hates that vertical stop in the front but I can see plusses and minuses either way. Personally I think I'd prefer being able to take a direct line of attack towards anything on the front of the griddle rather than having to angle down or come from the sides, but having the larger rear opening to shovel the slag into would be nice as well.

Like I said - ultimately I just decided I'd prefer not have to deal with moving my grill out to get to the back anytime I needed to empty the trap.

One thing I really wish they'd have offered on them is a side-burner. I'm still contemplating taking the side burner off my present gas grill and rigging up the regulator to the Blackstone and bolting it on where the side table presently sits. Those side burners come in handy every now and then...

What did you do to put the paper towel rod in? I tear through papertowels trying to keep the utensils in decent working order and everything goes so fast you can't really run inside and grab more. Having a whole roll on a rod would be nice.
The rod came with it. We just installed it like the directions said.

I'm going to add a speed rail this weekend (not my pic). Will be a great addition for all the squeeze bottles and sauces.

Thinking about adding a magnetic knife strip somewhere for knives and utensils.

[Reply]
Dunit35 10:05 AM 08-01-2018

I'm going to add a speed rail this weekend (not my pic). Will be a great addition for all the squeeze bottles and sauces.

I’m going to need you to stop posting pictures of your griddle. You’re going to hurt my checking account.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:07 AM 08-01-2018
That rail's a great idea. I presume Blackstone makes it?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:14 AM 08-01-2018
That rail's a great idea. I presume Blackstone makes it?
No, it's a mod I've seen. The one in the pic is a 32", which the guy said is a little small, but it's what he found.

I bought this: http://a.co/bLQFaB9. It's a 36" so should fit perfectly. I may have to drill through legs to install, but we'll figure it out.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:14 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
I’m going to need you to stop posting pictures of your griddle. You’re going to hurt my checking account.
That one's not mine. :-)
[Reply]
Dunit35 10:40 AM 08-01-2018
That Blackstone was $325 on Amazon this morning and it’s now $299.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:43 AM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
That Blackstone was $325 on Amazon this morning and it’s now $299.
The $299 is fairly normal price. You can sometimes find it for $247.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:57 AM 08-01-2018
The $299 is fairly normal price. You can sometimes find it for $247.
Walmart always has it at $247 with free shipping. At least they did a couple of weeks ago.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:06 AM 08-01-2018

oh I like that rail...That would be perfect to have.
[Reply]
Dunit35 12:10 PM 08-01-2018
Walmart always has it at $247 with free shipping. At least they did a couple of weeks ago.
They still have it for $247 but out of stock.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 12:18 PM 08-01-2018
No, but I got me a fine wife and I got me ol fiddle.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:22 PM 08-01-2018
Wife wants cheese steaks this weekend, so I guess I'm doing cheese steaks. Thin sliced ribeye, onions, peppers, and cheese. I may do one with steak, mushrooms, and cheese, with an au jus.
[Reply]
MahiMike 02:43 PM 08-01-2018
I used to have one. Really liked it. Bit the dust after so many years though.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up