ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 166 of 173
« First < 66116156162163164165166 167168169170 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 02:16 PM 01-26-2024
Need more Loudermilk....such great and intriguing
sidecharacters
[Reply]
ModSocks 04:26 PM 01-26-2024
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Two good ones start tonight:

1. True Detective Night Country (Max) - only 6 episodes and reviews are that it’s the best since season 1 (which I think is the best season of any show ever). Obviously, Jodie Foster.
2. Monsieur Spade (AMC) - created by the guy who did Queen’s Gambit and starring Clive Owen.
Yes, i think the new True Detective has been pretty good so far. Interesting premise.

We're doing that whole, "30 days of night" theme in this season and so far it's working to create a real atmospheric series. I skipped season's 3 & 4. This isn't quite season 1, but i have no complaints so far.
[Reply]
blake5676 06:31 PM 01-26-2024
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Yes, i think the new True Detective has been pretty good so far. Interesting premise.

We're doing that whole, "30 days of night" theme in this season and so far it's working to create a real atmospheric series. I skipped season's 3 & 4. This isn't quite season 1, but i have no complaints so far.
I never finished Season 2 but enjoyed Season 3. Definitely not as good as the first but nothing ever will be…it was damn near perfect.

I’m undecided on this season so far. Kinda intriguing and I like the characters at this point, but I kind of feel like they’re leaning on Season 1 too much as a crutch. I guess I will be interested to see how they tie it together, but the symbolism seems too in your face so far to me. And if I remember right, I don’t think writer or director are the same…Nick Pozz-whatever is not involved?
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:08 PM 01-26-2024
The Jodie Foster sex kitten thing is kind of weird

I like the mystery but it feels kind of Steven King cable adaptation ish

Hoping it improves
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:20 PM 01-26-2024
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
The Jodie Foster sex kitten thing is kind of weird

I like the mystery but it feels kind of Steven King cable adaptation ish

Hoping it improves
There are only 6 episodes and we’re through 2. It’s been a little slow going thus far but obviously high quality production and acting. The reviews are excellent so I have to think the pace is gonna pick up shortly and it’ll be humming on Sunday when we watch it completely hammered post-AFCCG victory and don’t even remember it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:32 PM 01-26-2024
There are only 6 episodes and we’re through 2. It’s been a little slow going thus far but obviously high quality production and acting. The reviews are excellent so I have to think the pace is gonna pick up shortly and it’ll be humming on Sunday when we watch it completely hammered post-AFCCG victory and don’t even remember it.

[Reply]
Buehler445 08:57 AM 01-27-2024
I like it. I like it a lot.
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 09:35 AM 01-27-2024
I hadn't really watched True Detective since S1. I tried an episode or 2 of season 2 I think.

I like the remote, isolated dark setting. I was a bit surprised how heavy it was on the supernatural. You get the sense they're going to "figure" that out. I've enjoyed it through two episodes. I didn't realize it was 6 episodes. That's awesome, I think most shows do better with less episodes.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 11:05 AM 01-27-2024
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
..., I think most shows do better with less episodes.
I think so, too. There are a lot of series that are scheduled for 10 episodes (give or take) and it often seems like an episode or two are 'filler'. As if the writers have a story that is easily and completely told in 4 or 5 episodes, but they are contracted for more, so they meander down a non-important side story. It could be called character development, but more often than not that development doesn't add to the story.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:14 AM 01-27-2024
Beef....kind of sucked to be honest
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:34 PM 01-27-2024
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
I think so, too. There are a lot of series that are scheduled for 10 episodes (give or take) and it often seems like an episode or two are 'filler'. As if the writers have a story that is easily and completely told in 4 or 5 episodes, but they are contracted for more, so they meander down a non-important side story. It could be called character development, but more often than not that development doesn't add to the story.
That's one unintended consequence of streaming. It's FAR better to tell the right story than to fit it to a structure. Hopefully that increases.

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni:
Beef....kind of sucked to be honest
I liked it. I didn't think it was as good as some of the reviews, but I thought it was a decent enough watch. One thing it did do was hook me pretty hard. I couldn't quit the shit, regardless of what I thought of it.
[Reply]
KCUnited 01:34 PM 01-27-2024
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:
I hadn't really watched True Detective since S1. I tried an episode or 2 of season 2 I think.

I like the remote, isolated dark setting. I was a bit surprised how heavy it was on the supernatural. You get the sense they're going to "figure" that out. I've enjoyed it through two episodes. I didn't realize it was 6 episodes. That's awesome, I think most shows do better with less episodes.
I really need to go back and re-watch S2

S1 was perfect so felt initially like S2 fell short but I do remember enjoying the dark, seedy atmosphere they created
[Reply]
crayzkirk 06:04 PM 01-27-2024
I got a 'free' Disney+ subscription through Spectrum and decided to watch the Doctor Who 60th anniversary specials. Part of the way through the Capaldi era, I started to lose interest as the show started to move in a direction that I didn't enjoy. The Whitaker era continued this trend and with Tennant back to reprise the Doctor, I thought I would give it a try.

Well, I didn't think it was as bad as many said however... It wasn't good. I get it; some people don't feel their gender is correct. I get The Message; men bad, women good. Always check with someone before using certain pronouns.

Disappointed that another one of the shows that I liked is gone.

What is Disney going to do with Deadpool?
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 06:12 PM 01-27-2024
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I really need to go back and re-watch S2

S1 was perfect so felt initially like S2 fell short but I do remember enjoying the dark, seedy atmosphere they created
Sorry, I wasn't clear there. I was talking about the latest season. I only watched a couple eps from season 2 forever ago and never tried S3. I've enjoyed the new season with Jodie Foster so far
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:51 PM 01-27-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
That's one unintended consequence of streaming. It's FAR better to tell the right story than to fit it to a structure. Hopefully that increases.

I liked it. I didn't think it was as good as some of the reviews, but I thought it was a decent enough watch. One thing it did do was hook me pretty hard. I couldn't quit the shit, regardless of what I thought of it.
It had me for awhile, but ultimately was a complete mess of "shock drama"
[Reply]
Page 166 of 173
« First < 66116156162163164165166 167168169170 > Last »
Up