ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Playing with cap #'s for 2019
Chris Meck 01:10 PM 12-15-2018
So...

using Spotrac and assuming their numbers are correct...and knowing that this defense needs a complete overhaul-

It looks like our estimated cap # is just shy of $152m, with $42.5m free.

But-
releasing Houston post June 1st frees up $15m (with 5.6m dead money)
That would nearly be enough to pay Ford on it's own, for example. Not saying that's necessarily what I'd do with it.

Releasing Berry post June 1st would save just about $9.5m (with $7m dead money)

Releasing Sorensen post June 1st saves $3.7 Million (with $1m dead cap money).

That's roughly another $28m right there, putting the team at $69m under the estimated cap.

That's a fair amount of dead money, but still. With a defense this bad...you could fill some serious holes and revamp quickly.

I tend towards filling holes with NFL FA's and drafting for depth and development; assuming a draftee will pan out is dangerous, I think.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:06 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm starting to agree.
Me too.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:09 PM 12-15-2018
I don't Ford has a real position in a 4-3. He's a liability in run or coverage defense, really only a plus player as a pass rusher. If you're staying in a 3-4 he makes sense to tag. otherwise, that's $15m plus you could use on an interior rusher, a couple of average to plus CB's, or an all-world S, or a couple of really good coverage LB's.
[Reply]
Coach 06:07 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I’m a little hesitant to say cut everyone because who knows what some of these guys might look like in a new scheme, under a new coordinator. The secondary needs tons of work regardless, but beyond that.

I know, Andy has to fire Bob first or have him retire. But what if he does? Then you’ve got quite a bit of talent sitting there to play around with as the new DC. There is little to no doubt that this defense would improve under the coordination and coaching of about any other NFL defensive mind.
The only individuals in my mind that should be automatic gone are:

1. Bob Sutton
2. Nelson (His contract ends this year - do not resign)
3. Parker (His contract ends this year - do not resign)
4. Sorensen
[Reply]
kcpasco 06:09 PM 12-15-2018
Nobody in this secondary should be brought back. All of them absolutely stink.
[Reply]
Flying High D 06:14 PM 12-15-2018
Is Alabama’s secondary better than the Chiefs?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 11:55 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Coach:
The only individuals in my mind that should be automatic gone are:

1. Bob Sutton
2. Nelson (His contract ends this year - do not resign)
3. Parker (His contract ends this year - do not resign)
4. Sorensen
Eric Murray
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 12:45 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Help me with a little context:

Tyreek Hill: He's under contract for 2019, but we sign him to a new deal if we wish, he could also hold out. No brainer to work something out now. Right? If its an extension then can't we keep his 2019 # relatively low?

Chris Jones: He's in the same boat as Hill.

I ask about those two because I think they are key building blocks that have waaaay outperformed the rookie contracts they are on. Frankly if we can come to deals with these guys this offseason it provides with some certainty with two good young players. If they want to play the year out then enter free agency, I guess thats fine too, but one of them would be tagged. I hope it wouldn't come to that.

Dee Ford: Ford is the only free agent to really worry about in my book. I think you keep him if at all possible but you can't let him hurt you in future years. We have every right to tag him if we must, but otherwise give this cat a fair deal and focus on rebuilding other parts of the defense.

So here are my questions:

How likely is it for the Chiefs to be able to extend Jones, Hill, and sign Ford this offseason? If they do that, would they have to to cut bait with guys like Houston and Berry? I ask because if I can swallow Houston's contract for another year maybe I do it. I don't know.

As for free Agency, a young legit FA corner or Safety would be awesome. I just don't see how we will be able to be overly active in the Free Agency market.
You make some very valid points. I don't know that I re-sign Ford. He has only played one good consistent year and that is 'this year' which is very telling from a character perspective. Meaning he gets his $ then goes back to being a dumb wuss.

The Mahomes factor definitely comes into play when it comes to FA because now what FA wouldn't want to come to KC and have a legit chance to win a SB ring? My point being we can get some serious FA defensive help this offseason and to your point not take the chance of Ford hamstringing us with his contract going back to being typical dumb hurt Ford.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:50 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
You make some very valid points. I don't know that I re-sign Ford. He has only played one good consistent year and that is 'this year' which is very telling from a character perspective. Meaning he gets his $ then goes back to being a dumb wuss.

The Mahomes factor definitely comes into play when it comes to FA because now what FA wouldn't want to come to KC and have a legit chance to win a SB ring? My point being we can get some serious FA defensive help this offseason and to your point not take the chance of Ford hamstringing us with his contract going back to being typical dumb hurt Ford.
I think I let him walk because you have Houston under contract already; and assuming we cut Grampa Bob loose, you have personnel to run either a 3-4 front or 4-3 front (Kpass and Speaks are better physically suited to a 4-3 I think) with a pickup or two. That money could be spent on a player that fits better as a 3 down defender either way.

I'm just kicking around different scenarios.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 12:57 PM 12-16-2018
The thing that I struggle with when it comes to letting Ford go is that I think he’s a better player than Houston at this point.
[Reply]
Sofa King 01:00 PM 12-16-2018
I think Kpass is traded in this offseason for a 5th round pick. I don't think they like him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:03 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
The thing that I struggle with when it comes to letting Ford go is that I think he’s a better player than Houston at this point.

Strictly as a pass rusher I'd agree. As an all-around LB, I would disagree. Ford is a below average run defender and a miserable coverage backer. Houston actually does everything pretty well. My only issue with Houston is that he's so damned expensive for a guy that'll play 1/2 to 2/3 of a season.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 01:04 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Sofa King:
I think Kpass is traded in this offseason for a 5th round pick. I don't think they like him.
Nobody is giving up a pick for a healthy scratch player.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:08 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Strictly as a pass rusher I'd agree. As an all-around LB, I would disagree. Ford is a below average run defender and a miserable coverage backer. Houston actually does everything pretty well. My only issue with Houston is that he's so damned expensive for a guy that'll play 1/2 to 2/3 of a season.
Yeah I’d agree on that, but I’d say if we’re being truthful, the rest of this season is going to play a huge role in how that plays out. Houston needs to produce into and through the playoffs in order to keep making his check IMO. Ford needs to do the same to at least earn the tag.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:14 PM 12-16-2018
As of now, I’d still love to see KC keep Ford, Houston, and Jones around for 2019. That pass rush is awesome and if they can get some other things tightened up at the back levels, they can be an extremely good team next year with all of them in tow.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:19 PM 12-16-2018
I don't think we can afford to release Houston or Berry until 2020.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up