ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Playing with cap #'s for 2019
Chris Meck 01:10 PM 12-15-2018
So...

using Spotrac and assuming their numbers are correct...and knowing that this defense needs a complete overhaul-

It looks like our estimated cap # is just shy of $152m, with $42.5m free.

But-
releasing Houston post June 1st frees up $15m (with 5.6m dead money)
That would nearly be enough to pay Ford on it's own, for example. Not saying that's necessarily what I'd do with it.

Releasing Berry post June 1st would save just about $9.5m (with $7m dead money)

Releasing Sorensen post June 1st saves $3.7 Million (with $1m dead cap money).

That's roughly another $28m right there, putting the team at $69m under the estimated cap.

That's a fair amount of dead money, but still. With a defense this bad...you could fill some serious holes and revamp quickly.

I tend towards filling holes with NFL FA's and drafting for depth and development; assuming a draftee will pan out is dangerous, I think.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:20 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by oldman:
Where did you get the $152M number? It's $177M this year and projected to be somewhere around $190M for 2019.
I agree we should try to make some kind of a deal with both Jones and Hill right now. I think the Ford/Houston thing depends on which one you think is more valuable over the next couple years. Ford is laying for a contract and has back issues.
As far as fatties go, I only see LG as a must have. I thought Reiter did OK sanding in for Morse and he'd have all off season to bulk up and work on technique. Let's look at the draft for another C.
I'm OK with signing a stud FA safety. If it means parting ways with Berry, that might be the thing to do, but let's look at how he performs over the next 3 games.
Spotrac's adjusted salary cap #.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:21 PM 12-15-2018
Definitely extend Houston. Turn his base salary next year into signing bonus. We can practically get him for free year 1. I've said before, we have the leverage on that contract to sign him to a new deal that's much more representative of what he'd negotiate in the open market, which should be far cheaper.
[Reply]
Kman34 02:25 PM 12-15-2018
Didn’t we draft Watts to be a safety???
[Reply]
chinaski 02:33 PM 12-15-2018
'Revamping' the defense won't mean shit if Sutton is still here. So said 'revamping' needs to include firing Sutton, if not meh.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 02:41 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
So...

using Spotrac and assuming their numbers are correct...and knowing that this defense needs a complete overhaul-

It looks like our estimated cap # is just shy of $152m, with $42.5m free.

But-
releasing Houston post June 1st frees up $15m (with 5.6m dead money)
That would nearly be enough to pay Ford on it's own, for example. Not saying that's necessarily what I'd do with it.

Releasing Berry post June 1st would save just about $9.5m (with $7m dead money)

Releasing Sorensen post June 1st saves $3.7 Million (with $1m dead cap money).

That's roughly another $28m right there, putting the team at $69m under the estimated cap.

That's a fair amount of dead money, but still. With a defense this bad...you could fill some serious holes and revamp quickly.

I tend towards filling holes with NFL FA's and drafting for depth and development; assuming a draftee will pan out is dangerous, I think.
UFAs:
Ford (Tag)
Bailey (Let walk)
Harris (Let walk)
Conley (Re-sign)
Nelson (Let walk)
Sherman (Re-sign)
Morse (Offer prove it deal?)
Scandrick (Let walk)
Damien Williams (Re-sign)
Ware (Re-sign)
Devey (Offer prove it deal?)
Parker (Let walk)
Terrance Smith (Let walk)
De'anthony Thomas (Offer prove it deal?)
Zombo (Let walk)
Allen (Let walk)
Benjamin (Offer prove it deal?)
West (Let walk)

Tender offers on all ERFAs and RFAs.

Potential Cuts:
Daniel Sorensen
James Winchester (Snaps have looked poor this year)
Chad Henne (Cut or Extend)
Reggie Ragland (Cut or Extend)
Cameron Erving (Cut or Extend)

Extension Candidates:
Mitchell Schwartz
Xavier Williams
Chris Jones
Justin Houston
Kendall Fuller
Tyreek Hill

So in summary:
Tag (1) - Ford
Re-sign (3) - Conley, Williams, Ware
Prove-it deals (4) - Morse, Devey, Thomas, Benjamin
Extend to free up space (6-9)
Cut (2-5)

Looking at free agents, it looks to be a decent year for Running Back, Wide Receiver, O-line, Free Safety, and Pass rusher.

Free agency, we should probably be looking hard at O-line, Safety, and Interior D-Linemen.
A free agent class including Landon Collins and Matt Paradis would do wonders to shore up the roster.

Draft we will need to look at Corners, O-line, 5-techs, 3 techs, ILB. We could also have a spot at tight end.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 03:00 PM 12-15-2018
Apparently it doesn't matter if you spend all the cap money or leave 20% because some people will tell you the league is fixed. How much you spend doesn't have any effect on the game, the refs will decide it.
[Reply]
Flying High D 03:04 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Apparently it doesn't matter if you spend all the cap money or leave 20% because some people will tell you the league is fixed. How much you spend doesn't have any effect on the game, the refs will decide it.
Don’t forget the spirit, sometimes it there and you play and sometimes it not and you don’T.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 03:05 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Yes they will. The NFL is multi mega billion dollar business and like all multi mega billion dollar businesses it's corrupt.
Why would it not be? The owners didn't get mega rich by playing fair and leaving things to chance.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Nightfyre 03:08 PM 12-15-2018
Any further discussion of the "NFL is rigged" nature should result in folks getting a romper time out, because it is clearly spilling into other threads and there is no actual discussion happening.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 03:10 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Re-sign Hill and Jones. Talk to Berry about restructuring his contract or taking a pay cut (depending on his health)

Tag Ford.

Switch to a 4-3. Move Houston to DE. Move Jones to DT. Put KPass and Soeaks at DE.

Your LBs are Ford, Hitchens and DOD.

Draft two CBs, a safety and some defensive line depth.
You lost me with Ford. He’s a pure edge rusher, he should stay at DE.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 03:14 PM 12-15-2018
I’d try to extend Hill and Jones both ASAP. Tag Ford. Keep Berry another year so long as this one ends with him healthy and playing well, but try to adjust the contract. Houston needs to probably take a pay cut but idk that it will happen.

The Chiefs are in a tricky spot—I’d like to see them keep Ford, Jones, and Houston together for 2019. It’s such a good pass rush, I’d hate to let it get away any faster than it has to. But Houston is dangerously close to being a guy that needs to be released for his current price and I’m not sure Ford can be trusted on a long term contract. Jones is a must sign imo because of all that.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:21 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
Any further discussion of the "NFL is rigged" nature should result in folks getting a romper time out, because it is clearly spilling into other threads and there is no actual discussion happening.
I'm starting to agree.
[Reply]
MahiMike 03:27 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:
RELEASE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
Beat me to it. Only Jones, Ford are allowed to come back. Everyone else can go in a Chiefs estate sale.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 03:32 PM 12-15-2018
I’m a little hesitant to say cut everyone because who knows what some of these guys might look like in a new scheme, under a new coordinator. The secondary needs tons of work regardless, but beyond that.

I know, Andy has to fire Bob first or have him retire. But what if he does? Then you’ve got quite a bit of talent sitting there to play around with as the new DC. There is little to no doubt that this defense would improve under the coordination and coaching of about any other NFL defensive mind.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:31 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Re-sign Hill and Jones. Talk to Berry about restructuring his contract or taking a pay cut (depending on his health)

Tag Ford.

Switch to a 4-3. Move Houston to DE. Move Jones to DT. Put KPass and Soeaks at DE.

Your LBs are Ford, Hitchens and DOD.

Draft two CBs, a safety and some defensive line depth.
I dig it
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up