ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Playing with cap #'s for 2019
Chris Meck 01:10 PM 12-15-2018
So...

using Spotrac and assuming their numbers are correct...and knowing that this defense needs a complete overhaul-

It looks like our estimated cap # is just shy of $152m, with $42.5m free.

But-
releasing Houston post June 1st frees up $15m (with 5.6m dead money)
That would nearly be enough to pay Ford on it's own, for example. Not saying that's necessarily what I'd do with it.

Releasing Berry post June 1st would save just about $9.5m (with $7m dead money)

Releasing Sorensen post June 1st saves $3.7 Million (with $1m dead cap money).

That's roughly another $28m right there, putting the team at $69m under the estimated cap.

That's a fair amount of dead money, but still. With a defense this bad...you could fill some serious holes and revamp quickly.

I tend towards filling holes with NFL FA's and drafting for depth and development; assuming a draftee will pan out is dangerous, I think.
[Reply]
In58men 01:15 PM 12-15-2018
RELEASE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:24 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:
RELEASE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
That's not what I'm saying.

I like Houston; but he's real expensive for half a season to 2/3rds of a season's availability and post 30, I doubt that's going to improve.

Berry has played one 3/4 of a game in two years.

Sorensen blows.

IF you wanted to move to a 4-3, we'd be in position to do so, for example. IF you want to stay with a 3-4, you can tag Ford and go get a stud inside rusher to sit opposite Jones. And still extend Hill. Just saying, there are options.

I guess nobody's interested in that conversation.
[Reply]
loochy 01:24 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by In58men:
RELEASE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
* on the defense
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Hoover 01:39 PM 12-15-2018
Help me with a little context:

Tyreek Hill: He's under contract for 2019, but we sign him to a new deal if we wish, he could also hold out. No brainer to work something out now. Right? If its an extension then can't we keep his 2019 # relatively low?

Chris Jones: He's in the same boat as Hill.

I ask about those two because I think they are key building blocks that have waaaay outperformed the rookie contracts they are on. Frankly if we can come to deals with these guys this offseason it provides with some certainty with two good young players. If they want to play the year out then enter free agency, I guess thats fine too, but one of them would be tagged. I hope it wouldn't come to that.

Dee Ford: Ford is the only free agent to really worry about in my book. I think you keep him if at all possible but you can't let him hurt you in future years. We have every right to tag him if we must, but otherwise give this cat a fair deal and focus on rebuilding other parts of the defense.

So here are my questions:

How likely is it for the Chiefs to be able to extend Jones, Hill, and sign Ford this offseason? If they do that, would they have to to cut bait with guys like Houston and Berry? I ask because if I can swallow Houston's contract for another year maybe I do it. I don't know.

As for free Agency, a young legit FA corner or Safety would be awesome. I just don't see how we will be able to be overly active in the Free Agency market.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:44 PM 12-15-2018
You can only make two June 1st cut designations.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:51 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Help me with a little context:

Tyreek Hill: He's under contract for 2019, but we sign him to a new deal if we wish, he could also hold out. No brainer to work something out now. Right? If its an extension then can't we keep his 2019 # relatively low?

Chris Jones: He's in the same boat as Hill.

I ask about those two because I think they are key building blocks that have waaaay outperformed the rookie contracts they are on. Frankly if we can come to deals with these guys this offseason it provides with some certainty with two good young players. If they want to play the year out then enter free agency, I guess thats fine too, but one of them would be tagged. I hope it wouldn't come to that.

Dee Ford: Ford is the only free agent to really worry about in my book. I think you keep him if at all possible but you can't let him hurt you in future years. We have every right to tag him if we must, but otherwise give this cat a fair deal and focus on rebuilding other parts of the defense.

So here are my questions:

How likely is it for the Chiefs to be able to extend Jones, Hill, and sign Ford this offseason? If they do that, would they have to to cut bait with guys like Houston and Berry? I ask because if I can swallow Houston's contract for another year maybe I do it. I don't know.

As for free Agency, a young legit FA corner or Safety would be awesome. I just don't see how we will be able to be overly active in the Free Agency market.
ah, the conversation I was looking for. It's all speculation of course; but I agree completely on Hill and Jones.

I'm not sold on Ford's worth as he'll draw big money due to the sack totals but he's a liability against the run; disappears a lot, can't cover-I mean, he literally can rush the passer and that's it. Is that worth $15m plus a year? I don't know. He's a good pass rusher, real good. It's kind of like Peters-yeah, he gets INT's, but there are so many other things he doesn't do well is it worth the price of admission? I don't know. Not comparing them as people of course, I think Ford's a good guy and Peters is an asshole.

I guess it depends on who's available in FA. The 'Patriot Way' is to eschew stars and just go get good solid football players. that extra $28 would go a long way if that's the path. You could probably sign 4 solid or ascending players for that money. Or you could sign 2 stars. Still leaving money to extend your Hills and Fords and perhaps look at the OL a little bit.

Which way to go? I don't know. I'd really like to sign Landon Collins. Or Earl Thomas. Or both.

I'd like to sign whomever the best interior pass rusher available will be to put across from Jones.

A couple of 2nd tier corners...?
[Reply]
Bwana 01:51 PM 12-15-2018
Yeah we have a lot of holes to try to fill on the defense, which is painfully obvious every week. We also need to try to upgrade the fat boys on the OL before our new toy takes a hit he doesn't get up from. He's taking way to many hits right now. As far as the list, get Hill and Jones inked for sure.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:52 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
You can only make two June 1st cut designations.
ah. Good to know.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 01:53 PM 12-15-2018
Keep Houston
Cut Berry (Love the guy but he is done after this year)
Franchise Ford
Try to resign Hill
Let Jones contract play out another year (Price would be crazy high after this season. See if he can repeat)

Draft all Offensive Line and Defense
[Reply]
Hoover 01:58 PM 12-15-2018
It just kills me to see K-Pass and Speaks without a true position on this defense. Two high draft picks that in the modern NFL you need to contribute to your team. I fear we are just developing them for another team. Looking ahead to the next draft, I think you have to look at the first three picks and and ask yourself what positions are you going to start them at, if not year one, then year two.

We badly need to draft corners and safeties, but I don't want to draft some DL or LB that going to sit on the bench when we could use another TE, RB, or WR to help keep the offense dynamic.
[Reply]
oldman 02:06 PM 12-15-2018
Where did you get the $152M number? It's $177M this year and projected to be somewhere around $190M for 2019.
I agree we should try to make some kind of a deal with both Jones and Hill right now. I think the Ford/Houston thing depends on which one you think is more valuable over the next couple years. Ford is playing for a contract and has back issues.
As far as fatties go, I only see LG as a must have. I thought Reiter did OK sanding in for Morse and he'd have all off season to bulk up and work on technique. Let's look at the draft for another C.
I'm OK with signing a stud FA safety. If it means parting ways with Berry, that might be the thing to do, but let's look at how he performs over the next 3 games.
[Reply]
oldman 02:10 PM 12-15-2018
Another thing to look at is if the football gods smile upon us and Sutton gets fired/retired and our new DC is a 4-3 guy. That gives a position to either Kpass of Speaks as DE.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 02:13 PM 12-15-2018

NFL told its teams today that the 2019 salary cap is projected to be in the range of $187-to-$191.1 millon.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) December 11, 2018

[Reply]
The Franchise 02:16 PM 12-15-2018
Re-sign Hill and Jones. Talk to Berry about restructuring his contract or taking a pay cut (depending on his health)

Tag Ford.

Switch to a 4-3. Move Houston to DE. Move Jones to DT. Put KPass and Soeaks at DE.

Your LBs are Ford, Hitchens and DOD.

Draft two CBs, a safety and some defensive line depth.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up