ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock Offseason 12/11
kccrow 09:08 PM 12-11-2018
Been doing alot of thinking since the Le'Veon mock, and maybe too much but here goes it...

Extensions

WR Tyreek Hill: It's imperative to lock up the team's most dynamic player long-term and give Mahomes a weapon for the foreseeable future. Hill must be retained and he won't get cheaper.
5 years/$95.0m contract extension with $65m in guarantees, $42m guaranteed at signing, and $20m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 6.097 2020: 18.75 2021: 19.25 2022: 19.75 2023: 18.25 2024: 15.00
Notes: Hill will earn the NFL Proven Performance Escalator for the last year of his rookie deal which means his base salary will increase to the Right of First Refusal tender amount. That amount was $1.907 million in 2018 and increases by the percentage the cap increases with a minimum of 5% and a maximum of 10%. If the NFL carries through with an approximate 6% increase in the cap, then that base will be $2.02 million, which was used in the 2019 cap estimate.

DL Chris Jones: I've been preaching the same thing Andy Reid mentioned not too long ago: the quickest route to the QB is a straight line and having defensive lineman that can get after them up the middle is better than good edge rushers in today's NFL that sees QBs get the ball out quicker than ever. Jones has stepped up his game considerably and we should project that to continue.
5 years, $81.0m contract extension with $40.0m guaranteed at signing including $20.0m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 5.98 2020: 13.00 2021: 15.00 2022: 16.00 2023: 17.00 2024: 16.00

Tags/Tenders

FS Jordan Lucas: RFA Original Round Tender estimated $2.02m
OC Austin Reiter: RFA Original Round Tender estimated $2.02m (I'm just going to leave this in here until the details of his extension are released)
DL Justin Hamilton: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
PK Harrison Butker: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
WR Markus Kemp: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus
WR Gehrig Deiter: ERFA Tender estimated $570k + $30k bonus

Acquisitions

CB E.J. Gaines (CLE): A native of Lee's Summit, Gaines may want to return home. Gaines is a solid CB but has an injury history. He should come relatively cheap given that he has missed some games this year after signing a 1 year deal for $4m in Cleveland but he's been very solid when on the field. Gaines can allow Fuller to continue to take over slot duties in 3 CB sets because of his ability on the outside.
3 years/$14m with $5.0m guaranteed and $3.0m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 3.75 2020: 4.75 2021: 5.50

TE Maxx Williams (BAL): Williams has had alot of injuries throughout his career but he's still extremely young and has flashed what made him a high round pick. He'd make an excellent number two type with solid hands, route running, and blocking ability.
3 years/$9.0m with $1.5m signing bonus, and $1.0m roster bonuses in 2020 and 2021 if he's on the roster the 5th day of the new league year. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 2.00 2020: 3.25 2021: 3.75

Re-Signings

CB Steven Nelson: Nelson has proven to be a solid CB here in KC as a starter with continued improvement throughout his tenure. If the team can expect him to continue to play as well or better than he has this year then he deserves a re-signing.
4 years/$31.0m with $10.0m guaranteed at signing, and $6.0m signing bonus and another $6.0m guaranteed (salary) if on the roster the 5th day of the 2020 league year. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 5.50 2020: 7.75 2021: 8.50 2022: 9.25

ED Dee Ford: Ford has developed into one of the premier edge rushers in the NFL, so letting him go would be a tough pill to swallow. It's a bit scary doing so given his inconsistent history, but if he can hold up physically he should continue to push double-digit sacks annually. That said, re-signing him with the extensions of Hill and Jones will force the Chiefs' hand in the handling of the future salary cap.
5 years/$86.00m with 41.00m guaranteed at signing including a 20.00m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 13.00 2020: 16.00 2021: 17.00 2022: 20.00 2023 20.00

FB Anthony Sherman: Sherman is one of the better fullbacks in the league and is excellent on special teams. His volume of usage offensively gives me pause, but if there's space to sign him then I'd undoubtedly do so.
4 years/$8.4m with $5.0m guaranteed and $2.4m signing bonus. Estimated Cap Hits 2019: 1.90 2020: 2.00 2021: 2.20 2022: 2.30

RB Spencer Ware: Ware is just a solid all-around back and that makes it difficult to get rid of him. Once he was healthy, Reid immediately turned to him as Hunt's primary backup and he's been nothing but a team player. I think he's brought back on a friendly deal.
2 year/$3.0m with $500k roster bonuses in each year. Estimated Cap Hits: 2019: $1.40 2020: 1.60

All PS on Minimal Deals that likely don't affect Top-51.
I'm sure we'll see a couple low-key FA D-Line signings that are easy on the cap as usual.

Let Walk

DE Allen Bailey, CB Orlando Scandrick, TE Demetrius Harris, FS Josh Shaw, RB Damien Williams, OC Mitch Morse, FS Ron Parker, WR De'Anthony Thomas, OLB Frank Zombo, ILB Terrence Smith, WR Chris Conley

Cuts
SS Eric Berry - June 1st Designation: The Chiefs will have to make tough choices over the next couple of seasons if they want to retain players that are actually performing on the field (see Tyreek Hill, Chris Jones, Dee Ford especially) so, despite the woes at safety, it's time to move on.

Draft

Chiefs trade 2018 1st round pick and 2018 2nd round pick to move up to the 20th overall selection.
Chiefs have a projected 6th round compensatory selection for Bennie Logan.

1. ILB Mack Wilson, Alabama (6'1" 235)
It has become overwhelmingly apparent that the Chiefs must address the situation at ILB going into 2019 and the best way to do that may just be in the draft. Getting a young player that can cover while still having the ability to come downhill in the run game and be a 3-down player is paramount. Wilson is the best coverage linebacker in the draft and has shown a penchant for laying the wood as well. The Chiefs need a tone-setter and a defensive captain, and Wilson is that guy.
2. DT Isaiah Buggs, Alabama (6'5" 290)
Double-dipping from Alabama here, but Buggs is an impressive 2-year JUCO transfer that has been lights out the past 2 seasons. He really developed in his senior year, getting 9.5 sacks. This guy consistently pushes the pocket in 1-on-1 match-ups with outstanding strength and solid technique. He's got that big bubble ass you look for in an interior defensive lineman, and he also uses it follow through on his tackles and crush people.
3. SS Khari Willis, Michigan State (6'1" 215)
Another guy that will come down hill and smack people, I think you're seeing the theme here. This defense needs a tougher attitude and some guys that will flat-out smack you around. If Veach is serious about playing faster while also having Steelers' and Ravens' style defenses, then he better get guys like these 3 that are willing to hit people and hit them hard. Willis is fundamentally sound in coverage with good range and may be one of the best box defenders in the draft.
5. RB Jordan Scarlett, Florida (5'10" 215)
I have a feeling Scarlett will declare, as most solid RBs do after their junior year. Scarlett was in some trouble early on in his career at Florida and he'll have to make amends on that with NFL evaluators, but he has outstanding talent and should end up a steal for someone.
6. FS Kyle Gibson, Central Florida (5'11' 185)
Very quick safety with range and decent ball skills. Played a ton of single-high at UCF and was one of their best defenders. Good in coverage and good at flowing to the football but needs to put on more weight for hitting NFL players and keeping them down.
6. OL Sean Rawlings, Ole Miss (6'5" 294)
Very athletic offensive lineman with good technique. Will need to add good weight and strength at the pro level but is the type of player Reid tends to covet on the offensive line. Experience at tackle and center, but looks best on the inside and would be a good developmental player behind Reiter.
7. RB Tony Brooks-James, Oregon (5'9" 180)
Andy Reid's new play thing with a similar skillset to D'Anthony Thomas and may have more potential as a WR. Outsanding speed and agility. Ace kick return type.

Estimated Remaining Cap: $6.87m
Note: In this scenario, these transactions would leave KC with only $4.78m in projected cap space in 2020, which means changes would have to be made with guys like Justin Houston, Eric Fisher, Sammy Watkins, Cam Erving, and Daniel Sorensen for relief in some combination. I think extending Houston is likely, including a restructing of his 2020 salary into some bonus money such as 3 years with 16 of his 17 million converted to signing bonus which would free up $10.5m in 2020 (Think Terrell Suggs contract extension in 2014). I think Sorensen and Watkins would be the most likely cut candidates, while a Fisher restructure/extension and a Cam Erving release would also create more room.

Roster (Not representative of 53)

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Chad Henne, Chase Litton
RB: Spencer Ware, Darrel Williams, Jordan Scarlett, Tony Brooks-James (/WR)
FB: Anthony Sherman
TE: Travis Kelce, Maxx Williams, Deon Yelder
WR: Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, Demarcus Robinson, Byron Pringle, Marcus Kemp, Gehrig Dieter
OT: Eric Fisher, Mitchell Schwartz, Andrew Wylie
OG: Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Cameron Erving, Ryan Hunter, Khalil McKenzie
OC: Austin Reiter, Sean Rawlings, Jimmy Murray
DE: Chris Jones, Isaiah Buggs, Justin Hamilton, Joey Ivie
NT: Derrick Nnadi, Xavier Williams
OLB: Justin Houston, Dee Ford, Breeland Speaks, Tanoh Kpassagnon, Rob McCray
ILB: Mack Wilson, Anthony Hitchens, Dorian O'Daniel, Ben Niemann, Reggie Ragland, Ulysees Gilbert III
CB: Kendall Fuller, Steven Nelson, E.J. Gaines, Charvarius Ward, Tremon Smith, D'Montre Wade
FS: Eric Murray, Jordan Lucas, Kyle Gibson
SS: Khari Willis, Daniel Sorensen, Armani Watts
ST: Harrison Butker, Dustin Colquitt, James Winchester
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:17 PM 12-11-2018
Eh. You still have a useless sack of ass starting at FS and man are the Chiefs really fucked when Sammy Watkins has his annual injury. Robinson and Pringle would be your 2/3 and yikes.

I know people will shout and yell and scream about this, but priority ahould be keeping the Ferrari in good shape and that's Pat and the Offense and I think you gotta get him another WR early.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:08 AM 12-12-2018
Honestly, the only way I can forsee KC getting everything we want out of this offseason is to either let Ford walk or tag and trade him for a pick(s). I think it's more important to lock down Jones and Hill than it is Ford for the long-term. Ideally, you tag him and try to get at least a 2nd for him. I'd rather some space went to the secondary.
[Reply]
O.city 09:03 AM 12-12-2018
I'd probably tag and trade or just let Ford go. It sucks but you can't keep everyone and i'm not about keeping guys on long term deals with back injuries.

I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing some WR help with one of those early picks.
[Reply]
O.city 09:07 AM 12-12-2018
Pat does such a good job avoiding it, we've kind of glossed over it but theyre giving up a lot of pressure.

I think a lot of that is from teams just blitzing and pressuring to take away the deep game, so we need to either shore up the line a bit or get some little shifty WR's to help with the quick game.
[Reply]
O.city 09:09 AM 12-12-2018
I would also give that Steven Nelson contract to Bryce Callahan.
[Reply]
O.city 09:17 AM 12-12-2018
Just a weird thought, but with all hell breaking lose in Jacksonville, I wonder who they'll make available via trade?

I know we've heard Ramsey and I'd love to trade for him, he's a badass, he's gonna be expensive.

I wonder if you traded Ford and got a 2nd back for him, if you could flip one of those for Myles Jack?
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:30 AM 12-12-2018
Things I like:

1. Letting Morse walk.

Things I don't like:

1. Drafting an ILB in the 1st....and trading up to do it.
2. Signing E.J. Gaines and Steven Nelson.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:38 AM 12-12-2018
Let's see an offseason and mock where we switch to a 4-3.
[Reply]
Hoover 10:42 AM 12-12-2018
So I'm down with the offseason movement, but don't like the draft, mail because for the longterm viability of this team, I think we need to keep those two second round picks. If I'm trading any pick, its to come up into the end of round one to make two picks there and get the 5 year option on guys. However I don't think that is going to happen.

I think ILB play is a little overblown. We just spent a bunch of cash on the position and it still sucks. Not sure is throwing high picks at the position really solves anything.

I'm not really sold on any particular player. But I think we need to be looking at DL and DB's in rounds one and two. Beyond that I'm looking for youth at RB, TE, OL, and WR
[Reply]
O.city 11:02 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by Hoover:
So I'm down with the offseason movement, but don't like the draft, mail because for the longterm viability of this team, I think we need to keep those two second round picks. If I'm trading any pick, its to come up into the end of round one to make two picks there and get the 5 year option on guys. However I don't think that is going to happen.

I think ILB play is a little overblown. We just spent a bunch of cash on the position and it still sucks. Not sure is throwing high picks at the position really solves anything.

I'm not really sold on any particular player. But I think we need to be looking at DL and DB's in rounds one and two. Beyond that I'm looking for youth at RB, TE, OL, and WR
When you look at the best defenses in the league right now, they've got 2 really good really athletic ILBs that just fly around. The Cowboys, the Bears, the Ravens etc.

I think Hitchens is playing pretty well now, but Ragland in there just kills him.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:33 AM 12-12-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
When you look at the best defenses in the league right now, they've got 2 really good really athletic ILBs that just fly around. The Cowboys, the Bears, the Ravens etc.

I think Hitchens is playing pretty well now, but Ragland in there just kills him.
Agree. I think we need an ILB badly.

Still sad Zach Cunningham didn’t drop to us.
[Reply]
O.city 12:01 PM 12-12-2018
Yeah, that would have been nice.

I still wonder if they could trade one of those 2nds for an ILB somewhere around the league.

More ideally, if they could get a guy with 1 of those picks in the draft that can step in day one and be a badass.
[Reply]
O.city 12:07 PM 12-12-2018
How high would you have to trade up to get the ILB from LSU? I think he's gonna be a freakin monster.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:08 PM 12-12-2018
I'd rather keep our picks and take a guy like Germaine Pratt (ILB) out of N.C. State in the 2nd round with one of our two picks.

1. Jerry Tillery, DT/DE, Notre Dame
2. Germaine Pratt, ILB, N.C. State
2. Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State
3. Khaleke Hudson, S, Michigan
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up