ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>PC Maintenance-What Do You Do?
vailpass 12:46 PM 12-06-2018
It's been almost 2 years since we built my sons' rigs. They are all running fine but seems to me I should be doing some sort of tune up or clean out. Should I?

What do you do for periodic maintenance and well-care for your PC?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:51 PM 12-06-2018
Windows 10 has built in maintenance routines for the most part. The only thing I run manually on my Windows machines is the built in Disk Cleanup tool.
[Reply]
eDave 12:52 PM 12-06-2018
Virus scan
Malware scan
Defrag
Plenty of PC cleanup utilities out there.
[Reply]
Fish 12:56 PM 12-06-2018
No longer necessary with the most recent OSes. If the machine isn't showing serious signs of performance issues, then just leave it alone.

I highly recommend not using any 3rd party PC Cleaner/Registry Fixer/Speed Booster/etc. They are all shit.
[Reply]
Fish 12:57 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
Virus scan
Malware scan
Defrag
Plenty of PC cleanup utilities out there.
FYP
[Reply]
TambaBerry 12:58 PM 12-06-2018
open it up and clean it out with canned air
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:02 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
I highly recommend not using any 3rd party PC Cleaner/Registry Fixer/Speed Booster/etc. They are all shit.
Most of them will actually make things WORSE in the long run.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:02 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Probably the biggest, best tip there is honestly.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:50 PM 12-06-2018
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize Win10 performed maintenance.
We do virus scans and compressed air clean out (it's dusty her in AZ) fairly regularly so maybe a defrag and leave it at that.

What say you on organizing your hard drive, any tips?
SSD, what do you keep on it? Theirs are all 250 GB so there isn't room for much.
[Reply]
Fish 01:56 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize Win10 performed maintenance.
We do virus scans and compressed air clean out (it's dusty her in AZ) fairly regularly so maybe a defrag and leave it at that.

What say you on organizing your hard drive, any tips?
SSD, what do you keep on it? Theirs are all 250 GB so there isn't room for much.
FYI... never try and defrag an SSD drive. It's 100% unnecessary due to the very different way it stores data. It will also drastically reduce the life span of the drive if you try it.

Defrag got a very undeserved reputation as being a fix all maintenance procedure back in the early Windows days. But it's the equivalent of blowing on the NES cartridge to make it work. 95% of the time it was unnecessary and did nothing to improve actual performance.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:58 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
FYI... never try and defrag an SSD drive. It's 100% unnecessary due to the very different way it stores data. It will also drastically reduce the life span of the drive if you try it.

Defrag got a very undeserved reputation as being a fix all maintenance procedure back in the early Windows days. But it's the equivalent of blowing on the NES cartridge to make it work. 95% of the time it was unnecessary and did nothing to improve actual performance.
All of this. Completely unnecessary to defrag modern filesystems and will actually shorten the life of an SSD.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 02:06 PM 12-06-2018
I don't do shit.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:07 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Probably the biggest, best tip there is honestly.

But don't stick your hands in there when you spray. If you sneeze you'll pull all of the wiring loose. And then you'll end up paying someone to plug all of that shit back in.
[Reply]
jd1020 02:09 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
I unplug mine, take both side panels off, and use a leaf blower on it. Canned air takes too much damn time and doesn't do a good enough job, imo.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 02:11 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I unplug mine, take both side panels off, and use a leaf blower on it. Canned air takes too much damn time and doesn't do a good enough job, imo.
thats actually not a terrible idea. I just blow mine out every 2-3 weeks so it doesnt get build up on it.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up