ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>Bohemian Rhapsody spinoff - Great Guitar Tone
Fishpicker 09:27 PM 12-04-2018
I saw the movie last month. it sent me on a Queen listening binge. Brian May kills it with his playing and his tone. His tone is very recognizable. That's part due to his red special guitar, May really made it sing.

This thread is for discussing guitar tone and the appreciation we have for players that developed their sound into something unique.

love the tone and distortion. May is playing a flying V in the video but I wonder which guitar he recorded with.

Freddie King had amazing tone considering the ancient equipment he had to rely on. that fuzzy distortion helps Kings guitar scream and emote
[Reply]
Dayze 09:43 PM 12-04-2018
Eric Johnson was the first I remembered as sounding different durin my ignorant thrash metal days, not that I don’t love thrash, but up to that point I didn’t know what tone was. Lol

Bonamasa has killer tone as well.
[Reply]
Pants 10:35 PM 12-04-2018
I honestly wish I knew more about music and playing instruments.

I'm such a fucking ignoramus. My wife can play a bunch of instruments and it's basically magic to me. Like I don't get it.

But I feel like the GOAT basically has to be Hendrix, right? He's like Gandalf the White of guitar playing.
[Reply]
eDave 11:28 PM 12-04-2018
David Gilmour.
[Reply]
Third Eye 11:34 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
David Gilmour.
Yes.

My contribution: Mark Knopfler
[Reply]
Fishpicker 11:35 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by Pants:
I honestly wish I knew more about music and playing instruments.

I'm such a ****ing ignoramus. My wife can play a bunch of instruments and it's basically magic to me. Like I don't get it.

But I feel like the GOAT basically has to be Hendrix, right? He's like Gandalf the White of guitar playing.
tone is more about gear than it is about playing. and the pros utilize customized gear. thats why I mentioned May's custom guitar, the special red. the tone is affected by the material that the guitar is made out of, the gauge of the strings, the tuning, and all the sound equipment external to the guitar.

Jimi had kind of a thin tone. the amps he was playing on were chosen for sheer size/volume so that he could step into the magenetic field around them to get feedback resonating in the guitar. that was the basis of his sonic experiment style solos.
[Reply]
Nzoner 07:34 AM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
David Gilmour.
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Yes.

My contribution: Mark Knopfler
The first two that came to my mind.
[Reply]
Nzoner 07:45 AM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
I saw the movie last month. it sent me on a Queen listening binge. Brian May kills it with his playing and his tone. His tone is very recognizable. That's part due to his red special guitar, May really made it sing.
Personally one of my top live tracks of any band.

[Reply]
srvy 08:32 AM 12-05-2018
For guitar geeks these rig rundowns can be interesting. Brian talks about Red his guitar at 12:10.

[Reply]
Dartgod 09:51 AM 12-05-2018
Alex Lifeson
[Reply]
eDave 12:37 PM 12-05-2018
eDave.
[Reply]
EPodolak 10:53 PM 12-05-2018
Slash has the classic, crunchy Les Paul tone I love. My favorite Les Paul player is Jimmy Page though.

Jimi Hendrix' set up is the other tone I love, a deep warm Stratocaster sound.
[Reply]
Rivaldo 11:45 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Eric Johnson was the first I remembered as sounding different durin my ignorant thrash metal days, not that I don’t love thrash, but up to that point I didn’t know what tone was. Lol

Bonamasa has killer tone as well.

[Reply]
Rivaldo 11:55 PM 12-05-2018
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Alex Lifeson
oh yes

[Reply]
Rivaldo 12:25 AM 12-06-2018

[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up