ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Most important trait for Mahomes' targets?
Dante84 12:41 PM 11-26-2018
Specific to Mahomes' skillset, what is most important for his wr/rb/te targets?

Is it ability to create separation (speed + routes: Tyreek, Sammy)
Is it ability to make the contested catch (height + vert + hands: Kelce)
Is it ability to create YAC (elusiveness + tackle breaking: Kareem)

Trying to imagine who would be the best addition for this offense as it relates to Mahomes, or what skills we should be looking for.
[Reply]
O.city 01:10 PM 11-26-2018
Do you have hands? Can you run?

Yeah, you'll work.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:20 PM 11-26-2018
I prefer separation, but all of our studs can do all those things right now.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 01:36 PM 11-26-2018
great catch radius, good route running, and creating separation
[Reply]
Dante84 02:38 PM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Nice, hadn't considered that one.

How do you scout for that - arm measurement? Obviously seeing it on film helps.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:52 PM 11-26-2018
Ball awareness/tracking.

You can't sit there and hope you see the QB throwing you the ball.

The ball is in the air before you are looking for it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:01 PM 11-26-2018
Persistence.

Think of how many WRs we've seen run their route and then kinda drag. These guys know where they are in the progression and if they look up and the QB's not on them, they know the progression is not coming to them so they'll meander a bit. It's a common thing.

With Mahomes these guys have to be !@#$ing animals. They have to run through the whistle on every play. That means a whole bunch of pretty good football players just wouldn't work here; the attitude isn't right.

I think you actually want some underwear Olympics champions, to be honest. Its counter-intuitive but if you can give me some toolsy guys who operated under the radar, those dudes are gonna come in here without the sort of prima donna bad habits that the more coddled WRs develop. They're gonna come in here with a chip on their shoulders and they're going to battle every snap.

Think of a pre-breakout Antonio Brown. Dude played at 100 mph all the time and just forced his way into the limelight. He had tools for days and people just didn't really realize it.

Gimme that. Gimme some toolsy small-school guys who will go out there, play their asses off and work their way in.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 03:43 PM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Nice, hadn't considered that one.

How do you scout for that - arm measurement? Obviously seeing it on film helps.
Arm length, Body type, vertical( Randy Moss, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson)

basically having a NBA forward measurables.

Kelce with more ups, and longer arms.

Dorsey was hoping that Demetrius Harris would be that type of player, but he lacks the other qualities stated in this thread.
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:50 PM 11-26-2018
Whomever has a flair for TD celebration choreography
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:15 PM 11-26-2018
Arm length, Body type, vertical( Randy Moss, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson)

basically having a NBA forward measurables.

Kelce with more ups, and longer arms.

Dorsey was hoping that Demetrius Harris would be that type of player, but he lacks the other qualities stated in this thread.
SPARQ score also helps; dudes with those springs in their legs can get up/out better and give the QB a slightly better catch radius.

Sportscience did an episode with guys diving/jumping for balls and halfway convinced me that no pass should ever hit the ground. The amount of space some of the truly elite WRs can cover by diving one direction or another is just unreal.

Found one (not the one I saw) that goes over Megatron's catch radius:

4,000 cubic feet. That's just hilarious.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:20 PM 11-26-2018
Depends on what we have. Speed is the most important to me (tyreeks got it and that's why he's perfect for mahomes). A big possession guy is nice (kelce covers that). So whats missing most? I think we need a sprint option. Albert wilson would have been downright lethal in this offense. I want a guy who can sprint underneath the coverage and kill you with YAC. Not necessarily speed. Burst and agility. They tried to do that with DAT but it just wasnt the same.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 07:25 PM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Depends on what we have. Speed is the most important to me (tyreeks got it and that's why he's perfect for mahomes). A big possession guy is nice (kelce covers that). So whats missing most? I think we need a sprint option. Albert wilson would have been downright lethal in this offense. I want a guy who can sprint underneath the coverage and kill you with YAC. Not necessarily speed. Burst and agility. They tried to do that with DAT but it just wasnt the same.
Yup.

In this system and with Kelce on hand, gimme three water bugs flying around into empty space.

That's also why Watkins is so dangerous in this system when healthy. Enough speed to pressure anywhere on the field but the tenacity to do work in the red zone. He really is an incredible fit but health is a skill and he doesn't have it.
[Reply]
Direckshun 07:47 PM 11-26-2018
Bingo.

You need a big catch radius, soft flexible hands, and the ability to climb the ladder.

The ideal Mahomes receiver is probably prime Larry Fitz.
[Reply]
Cosmos 08:05 PM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Bingo.

You need a big catch radius, soft flexible hands, and the ability to climb the ladder.

The ideal Mahomes receiver is probably prime Larry Fitz.
What came to mind is hands, exceptional hands... aside from a couple of spectacular catches this year, I cringe at some of Kelce’s drops.

As good as Kelce is, I hope Veach spends some effort/draft capital on our next pass catching TE. It’s critical to have options everywhere for Mahomes at WR, SLOT, RB, TE.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:07 PM 11-26-2018
Quickness to separate, hands, agility to get YAC.

And just how the fuck do you embed videos here anymore? I can't figure it out... Apparently it throws a fit over iframes or some shit now..
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up