ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 34
« First < 162223242526 27282930 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Best BBQ joint in KC area?
BossChief 12:20 PM 02-07-2015
We are driving down to KC and I usually go to Gates, but want to try something different this time around.

I'm looking to go to the absolute best BBQ joint in the KC area for dinner tonight and figured you guys would know best. Maybe a few of you want to come out and eat with us.

What say you, CP?

(The search function is off or I'd use it.)
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:31 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
Cocktails you say?
Good cocktails, obviously. :-)
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 08:25 PM 12-15-2018
What are the thoughts on RJ's over on Johnson Drive? Any good or not worth the time?
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:43 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
1. Oklahoma Joes
2. Q39
3. Bryant
4. Jack Stack
5. Gates
6. Rosedale

In that order.

LCs BBQ is ****ing terrible.
FYP

Zardas is waaaaaaay overrated.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 09:19 PM 12-15-2018
One thing that's weird is once you get outside of the KC metro...there's not many good bbq places. When I lived in Lawrence there were surprising few good places. Vermont St was good but that was the only place I remember going to more than once.

When I lived in Newton and McPherson there was nothing. Maybe we're just spoiled in KC.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:38 PM 12-15-2018

Danny Edwards - Big D sandwich. Insane. Pisses me off so bad that he closes for Xmas every year when I come back.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:03 PM 12-15-2018
Speaking of ribs, and not relying on sauce, Moms chose Brobeck's for her most recent B-day dinner. IIRC, my sis had her work bring some in for an office lunch one day, leading to the recommendation.

All seemed pleasantly surprised, and everyone's eyes widened when they tried their ribs.

They rely on their meat and don't even 'offer' a BBQ sauce. They have it, but they were clearly an afterthought, and the prominently also offer competitors sauces. . . KC Masterpiece X-tra Hot, Curley's Sweet and Smoky, etc. And they say on the menu to feel free to bring in your own sauce from home if you like something better.

In addition to great ribs, they have some unique things to recommend them. They have a smoked ham salad. The day we were there, they had a really really good smoked jalapeno cheddar long sausage. They do a good job on cheesy corn. Great onion rings. etc.

https://brobecksbbq.com/

I wouldn't put them on the highest level with Joe's KC, but they are a credit to the KC BBQ scene. A pleasant surprise, without all the hassle of being the 'go to' place at present. If you get a craving for that smoke ham salad, that's the only place to get it. And their ribs are good enough to elicit a smile and a moan or two.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 10:36 PM 12-15-2018
Rib tips from LCs
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:40 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
The family did Q39 last week. OMG. So good. All other BBQ is a sham compared to this. The brisket tasted like chocolate. Delish.
I did Q39 for the first time a few weeks ago and had a sampler plate.

I liked the ribs but really disliked the brisket. Seemed more like roast than brisket.

I much prefer the thin sliced brisket at Zarda and Zarda original is my favorite sauce. Usually get a pound to go as there is not much else there I like that well.

Get Jacks BBQ beans to go as well.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:43 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar:
One thing that's weird is once you get outside of the KC metro...there's not many good bbq places. When I lived in Lawrence there were surprising few good places. Vermont St was good but that was the only place I remember going to more than once.

When I lived in Newton and McPherson there was nothing. Maybe we're just spoiled in KC.
Yes you are spoiled. Really spoiled.

The only place near my house is Dicks and it is pretty sad.

I've hunted a little bit for BBQ in San Francisco and have been disappointed so far.
[Reply]
Fish 10:08 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by suzzer99:

Danny Edwards - Big D sandwich. Insane. Pisses me off so bad that he closes for Xmas every year when I come back.
It gets good reviews. But doesn't look that appealing to me at all. Give me a Z-man..
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:06 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by philfree:
It looks like Joe eats a lot of his own cooking so that's a good sign. When in KC we usually go to Jack Stack but I think I need to branch out. Next time maybe I'll try Slap's.
Jack Stack, IMO, is pretty Kediocre in KC. You definitely need to branch out.

Jack Stack is like Rendezvous in Memphis. It's got the name, but it's just not very good.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:07 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar:
Joe's KC but mostly because I can walk there
I'd be 500 lbs. and homebound if I could walk to Joe's.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:10 AM 12-16-2018
My stepdad got me into the Poor Russ and then the French Dip at jackstack. I feel bad for not ordering BBQ but that French Dip might be the best thing on their menu.
THIS is why JS sucks. When the best thing on your menu is sides and non BBQ, maybe you're doing something wrong.

And fuck Jack Stack right in the mouth for their take on burnt ends. Fucking cubed brisket isn't burnt fucking ends.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:13 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Yes you are spoiled. Really spoiled.

The only place near my house is Dicks and it is pretty sad.

I've hunted a little bit for BBQ in San Francisco and have been disappointed so far.
Man, all I can get around here is Dreamland, and they wouldn't know what beef looked like if it walked in the door and mooed.
[Reply]
Munson 11:13 AM 12-16-2018

Damn, that looks delicious.

I had never heard of this place. But after seeing that picture, I'm gonna have to give them a visit this week.

https://www.dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com/
[Reply]
Page 26 of 34
« First < 162223242526 27282930 > Last »
Up