ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>Playing with cap #'s for 2019
Chris Meck 01:10 PM 12-15-2018
So...

using Spotrac and assuming their numbers are correct...and knowing that this defense needs a complete overhaul-

It looks like our estimated cap # is just shy of $152m, with $42.5m free.

But-
releasing Houston post June 1st frees up $15m (with 5.6m dead money)
That would nearly be enough to pay Ford on it's own, for example. Not saying that's necessarily what I'd do with it.

Releasing Berry post June 1st would save just about $9.5m (with $7m dead money)

Releasing Sorensen post June 1st saves $3.7 Million (with $1m dead cap money).

That's roughly another $28m right there, putting the team at $69m under the estimated cap.

That's a fair amount of dead money, but still. With a defense this bad...you could fill some serious holes and revamp quickly.

I tend towards filling holes with NFL FA's and drafting for depth and development; assuming a draftee will pan out is dangerous, I think.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:21 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
As of now, I’d still love to see KC keep Ford, Houston, and Jones around for 2019. That pass rush is awesome and if they can get some other things tightened up at the back levels, they can be an extremely good team next year with all of them in tow.
I think that's true. I guess the question is...do you blow it up or do you tweak it?

Meaning-If you keep Ford and pay him that $15m plus, you need to stay in a 3-4. He's not a 4-3 LB. So, that limits your new DC possibilities. Also, handicaps your available money to sign secondary help if you want to extend Hill and/or Jones, which I think you need to ASAP.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:24 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Re-sign Hill and Jones. Talk to Berry about restructuring his contract or taking a pay cut (depending on his health)

Tag Ford.

Switch to a 4-3. Move Houston to DE. Move Jones to DT. Put KPass and Soeaks at DE.

Your LBs are Ford, Hitchens and DOD.

Draft two CBs, a safety and some defensive line depth.
Sutton isn't a 4-3 guy so that would involve changing our DC. I imagine Reid would try to promote his son to DC to run a 4-3 and tell Sutton to retire. Then Reid could keep all of his other coaches on defense.

I also think that Jones can play DE in a 4-3.

Jones,Williams,Nnadi,Houston
Ford,Hitchens,DoD

although we might be better off letting Ford walk and drafting a 4-3 LB in the draft. The reason I put Jones at DE is his hunger to rush the QB. He tends to ignore his assignments in the running game and that really hurts us when he's inside. Putting Jones at DE lets him become our Reggie White and let's him focus on hitting the QB.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:25 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think that's true. I guess the question is...do you blow it up or do you tweak it?

Meaning-If you keep Ford and pay him that $15m plus, you need to stay in a 3-4. He's not a 4-3 LB. So, that limits your new DC possibilities. Also, handicaps your available money to sign secondary help if you want to extend Hill and/or Jones, which I think you need to ASAP.
Well if they go to the 4-3, all bets are off, but I think Ford could at least play DE and still be a very good pass rusher.

I’m expecting that they will attempt to sign a safety named either Thomas or Collins this March and that is going to make their decisions on the front 4 pretty interesting.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:30 PM 12-16-2018
Well if they go to the 4-3, all bets are off, but I think Ford could at least play DE and still be a very good pass rusher.

I’m expecting that they will attempt to sign a safety named either Thomas or Collins this March and that is going to make their decisions on the front 4 pretty interesting.
I think so too, regarding Collins or Thomas.

Ford would end up being a guy that doesn't play 3 downs in a 4-3. $15m plus is a lot of money for a guy you have to take off the field on certain downs.

I like him, I'm not dead set against it, I just wonder if it's a good value.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:40 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I think so too, regarding Collins or Thomas.

Ford would end up being a guy that doesn't play 3 downs in a 4-3. $15m plus is a lot of money for a guy you have to take off the field on certain downs.

I like him, I'm not dead set against it, I just wonder if it's a good value.
Here’s the way I look at it—if the alternative to keeping Ford is starting Speaks and he’s playing at his current level, that’s a bad situation. Sure he may be better against the run, but to this point he doesn’t offer much of any pass rush capability.

I’d pay Ford to stick around and be your best edge rusher until Speaks or someone else shows that they can provide minimal drop off in that department, which might be in 2020 if Speaks shows great improvement next year. Worst case scenario, you’ve got really solid depth at DE where as you said, Houston is liable to miss games anyways.

Regarding the 3-4, I’d like to see what Speaks can do rushing from a 3 technique. Maybe what he lacks in strength compared to Allen Bailey can be made up for with speed. At least a 3rd down option that I figured would have already been looked at, but you know, Sutton gonna Sutton...
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:41 PM 12-16-2018
Here’s the way I look at it—if the alternative to keeping Ford is starting Speaks and he’s playing at his current level, that’s a bad situation. Sure he may be better against the run, but to this point he doesn’t offer much of any pass rush capability.

I’d pay Ford to stick around and be your best edge rusher until Speaks or someone else shows that they can provide minimal drop off in that department, which might be in 2020 if Speaks shows great improvement next year. Worst case scenario, you’ve got really solid depth at DE where as you said, Houston is liable to miss games anyways.
Fair point. I just don't want the contract to preclude a Collins/Thomas signing. The secondary is the biggest problem, IMO.
[Reply]
Sofa King 02:32 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Nobody is giving up a pick for a healthy scratch player.
It happens all the time and it's based on "potential".
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up