ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>VPN service
JakeF 12:50 AM 05-19-2020
Can they really keep your own internet service provider from tracking your internet use? I didn't think that was possible since you went through their servers? Have things changed recently?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 08:39 AM 05-19-2020
I guess what everyone is trying to say is, the authorities are gonna frame you as a lunatic outlaw no matter what, so you might as well keep your internet speed.
[Reply]
Chiefs Party 08:49 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Sorce:
I believe PIA doesn't even log so nothing to purge.
Iz nice! - Borat voice :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:18 AM 05-19-2020
I got one because my understanding was that it made it safer to get into my financial stuff when I'm traveling (well, back when I was traveling). The funny thing, though, is that one of my financial sites could tell when I was using the VPN and it would block me from logging on. That kind of defeats the purpose.

I did notice once that I got banner ads for stuff that I was looking at while on the VPN, which made me suspicious. (And no, I wasn't searching for underage hookers or anything. I was searching for a particular brand of jeans at a particular store.) It's possible that I also searched for those jeans off the VPN, but I remember seeing the ads show up immediately when I was on the VPN in a hotel, immediately after doing the search, and the ads were from the store I'd been searching. Maybe I don't understand how the search stuff works, but I wouldn't have thought that I'd get followup ads when I'm on a VPN. Am I misunderstanding something?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:45 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
AND if your doing anything that the authorities may want to see, they can get it so why slow yourself down?

And don't believe that BS they throw their logs away. I did a restore contract for a major VPN after a ransomware attack from their off site backups and logs.
PIA has been to court on several occasions and have had absolutely nothing to turn over to the courts.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:50 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
I can only imagine what this nut job is searching for that he doesn’t want to be tracked.
Not wanting a 3rd party to be able to invade your privacy makes someone a nut job? That smack of "if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument
[Reply]
Chiefs Party 11:50 AM 05-19-2020
AND if your doing anything that the authorities may want to see, they can get it so why slow yourself down?

And don't believe that BS they throw their logs away. I did a restore contract for a major VPN after a ransomware attack from their off site backups and logs.
Just curious, did that VPN service say that they purged their logs?

I personally don't want big brother tracking me. I know it'll never be 100% private, but you can mitigate a lot of information they receive.

Also, Google sucks. They track everything and def use IPs to do that along with other markers. duckduckgo.com seems to be the way to go on that front.
[Reply]
Chiefs Party 05-19-2020, 11:52 AM
This message has been deleted by Chiefs Party.
DaFace 11:53 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
PIA has been to court on several occasions and have had absolutely nothing to turn over to the courts.
Yep. You can't turn over what you don't keep in the first place.
[Reply]
Chiefs Party 11:53 AM 05-19-2020
Not wanting a 3rd party to be able to invade your privacy makes someone a nut job? That smack of "if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear".
:-)
[Reply]
DaFace 11:58 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I got one because my understanding was that it made it safer to get into my financial stuff when I'm traveling (well, back when I was traveling). The funny thing, though, is that one of my financial sites could tell when I was using the VPN and it would block me from logging on. That kind of defeats the purpose.

I did notice once that I got banner ads for stuff that I was looking at while on the VPN, which made me suspicious. (And no, I wasn't searching for underage hookers or anything. I was searching for a particular brand of jeans at a particular store.) It's possible that I also searched for those jeans off the VPN, but I remember seeing the ads show up immediately when I was on the VPN in a hotel, immediately after doing the search, and the ads were from the store I'd been searching. Maybe I don't understand how the search stuff works, but I wouldn't have thought that I'd get followup ads when I'm on a VPN. Am I misunderstanding something?
Banner ads are usually tracked by cookies - not IP addresses. You'd need to be using incognito mode (or an extension that blocks ad trackers) if you don't want ad personalization.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:09 PM 05-19-2020
Sure pal :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:17 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Yep. You can't turn over what you don't keep in the first place.
I'm not saying anything specific to an individual company. NDA's and all that jazz. But, I've seen behind the curtain.

Some of the biggest companies, well regarded etc. every single one of them are putting out BS about their tech, preparedness, privacy controls and their tech capabilities.

I'd bet anyone that works in tech will tell you the same thing. It's just what they do to make sure to keep their stock up, buy time until their security shit is fixed or just to obfuscate their ineptness.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:27 PM 05-19-2020
Sure pal :-)
Bud... it is documented. Your anecdote doesn't trump documented fact. The VPN you did work for may have kept logs but there are some out there that flatly do not. In fact, PIA doesn't do business in any country that requires logs be kept.
[Reply]
Shaid 02:24 PM 05-19-2020

[Reply]
Shaid 02:27 PM 05-19-2020
I've got a lifetime subscription that I got through windscribe a few years back. Don't use it a ton but it's there if I want to.
[Reply]
srvy 02:42 PM 05-19-2020
PIA was sold to Kape Technologies the owners of Cyberghost both of who had terrible reputations. So if you are using PIA its something to consider.

https://www.techradar.com/news/cyber...eate-vpn-giant

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrivateInte...dressing_your/
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up