ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 29
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Media Center>Heavy Metal & Hard Rock thread
Buddy Rich 10:00 AM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Dear God almighty, that's so terrible. It's like bad 80's Heart with more tattoos.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:02 AM 04-19-2023
Most of the metalheads here know I'm a massive stoner/doom fan.

My absolute favorite bands are Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Dio.

After that, it's stuff like Kyuss/QOTSA, Orange Goblin, Mastodon, The Sword, and High on Fire that gets me going. I love Motorhead. I love Ozzy's solo stuff. I also like a bit of metalcore/deathcore - bands like Phinehas and Impending Doom.

As far as controversial or disputable takes:

Megadeth > Metallica
Sabbath Dio > Sabbath Ozzy
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 02:10 PM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

After that, it's stuff like Kyuss/QOTSA, Orange Goblin, Mastodon, The Sword, and High on Fire that gets me going. I love Motorhead. I love Ozzy's solo stuff. I also like a bit of metalcore/deathcore - bands like Phinehas and Impending Doom.

Megadeth > Metallica
Megadeth was my first thrash metal over Metallica. And over the years, I don't think there should be any dispute that Megadeth is superior to Metallica on just about any level...but I also love me some Metallica.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 02:20 PM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
Megadeth was my first thrash metal over Metallica. And over the years, I don't think there should be any dispute that Megadeth is superior to Metallica on just about any level...but I also love me some Metallica.
I think "Rust In Peace" is better than any Metallica album, although neither band is exactly getting better with age. Both are nearly unlistenable at this point, imo.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:41 PM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I think "Rust In Peace" is better than any Metallica album, although neither band is exactly getting better with age. Both are nearly unlistenable at this point, imo.
Peace sells is still my favorite album from those guys.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 03:26 PM 04-19-2023
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Peace sells is still my favorite album from those guys.
Yep, front to back it's pretty awesome. That was my first Megadeth album. We had a guitar player back in the day who could thrash and we did a cover of Holy Wars...I fucking LOVED Rust in Peace.

I checked out of Metallica after the Black Album. Haven't gotten into any of the new album yet.

They're all getting old. The one that kills me the most is Maiden. Holy shit, they've become pretty unlistenable to me, though I didn't hate "The Writing on the Wall" on their latest album.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:47 AM 04-20-2023
New Megadeth, while not fantastic, is worlds better than anything Metallica has put out in 30ish years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:16 PM 04-20-2023
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
It really depends on what you "value" in your metal. Metallica is pretty straightforward anymore, it's commercial heavy rock pretty much since the Black album on. AFAIC, Master of Puppets is their pinnacle but even then, there's no comparison to Rust in Peace.

Rust in Peace is a cross-genre masterpiece - the addition of Friedman to the band took them to a whole different level musically. It's not just one of the best thrash albums or even heavy metal albums, it's one of the best rock albums ever.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:08 PM 04-20-2023

Megadeth > Metallica
Stoner metal, eh? Me too. NO, not because i'm a stoner....that's just a coincidence.

Some of my favorite Stoner metal tracks & Bands (These kick so much fucking ass):

[Reply]
htismaqe 10:08 AM 04-19-2023
Jake E. Lee is way underrated IMO. His work with Ozzy is brilliant and he's done some great stuff recently as well. Too bad so much of his career was consumed by the fallout from Sharon being a raging bitch.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:10 PM 04-19-2023
Jake E. Lee is way underrated IMO. His work with Ozzy is brilliant and he's done some great stuff recently as well. Too bad so much of his career was consumed by the fallout from Sharon being a raging bitch.
Ozzy - Bark at the Moon

[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 11:37 AM 04-19-2023
Devin Townsend is another guy who is crazy talented. His music is hit-and-miss with me, but his ability is off the charts.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 12:16 PM 04-19-2023
Devin Townsend is another guy who is crazy talented. His music is hit-and-miss with me, but his ability is off the charts.
Agreed on that. Some of his music is phenomenal. Other is WTF.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:33 PM 04-19-2023
I went from Led Zeppelin to buying Master of Puppets the day it came out. Wore out the tape completely. I've pretty much gotten away from the Metal thing these days but I occasionally go back and listen. I'm more into the Kyuss stuff now tho tbh.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 02:39 PM 04-19-2023
I'm more into this kind of genre now...

[Reply]
Page 4 of 29
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up