ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Blizzard Bans Pro Esports player for supporting Hong Kong Protesters
Imon Yourside 03:38 PM 10-08-2019
Blizzard Entertainment has sent a professional esports player home from a tournament and handed him a 12-month ban after he voiced support for Hong Kong protesters during a postgame interview.

The esports player, whose real name is Chung Ng Wai but who is known as Blitzchung, will also be fined the full amount of the prize money he won from the Hearthstone Grandmasters regular-season tournament.

During the interview on the official Taiwanese Hearthstone stream, Blitzchung appeared wearing a gas mask, which he lifted up before shouting "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age!" in Chinese.
Blizzard appears to be arguing that Blitzchung's statements about the Hong Kong protests offended "a portion or group of the public" or damaged the company's image.

The situation highlights the thorny trade-off US-based companies face when operating in China, which offers a lucrative and massive market but a different set of rules companies must play by.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bliz...erview-2019-10
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 08:44 PM 10-09-2019
Watching alien-faced Adam Silver genuflect for a bunch of human-rights violating, polluting, intellectual property-stealing Commies is cute. He obviously went to the same "How to be a Pussy" finishing school as Obama. Nauseating. Fuck the Chinese government.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 09:22 PM 10-09-2019
Not sure if this was true, but if it was, holy cow....


[Reply]
Sorry 09:27 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Watching alien-faced Adam Silver genuflect for a bunch of human-rights violating, polluting, intellectual property-stealing Commies is cute. He obviously went to the same "How to be a Pussy" finishing school as Obama. Nauseating. **** the Chinese government.
I get it from silvers even though I think es a bitch for it. There's major cap/revenue at pay here but their supposed goal of promoting equality goes out the window if they stay silent
[Reply]
Setsuna 12:28 AM 10-10-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Not sure if this was true, but if it was, holy cow....

Who knows. I already had my account cancelled well before this.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 11:56 PM 10-11-2019
Blizzard breaks its silence on controversial suspension of pro Hong Kong Hearthstone player

Video game developer Blizzard Entertainment has finally broken its silence after banning a professional player of popular virtual card game Hearthstone for voicing support for the Hong Kong protests. In a lengthy statement, the company says it will reduce the one-year suspension of player Ng “Blitzchung” Wai Chung to a six-month one, and it will restore the prize money it withheld from him.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/11/...ng-prize-money

They need to apologize for being pussies and double his money.
[Reply]
patteeu 07:58 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Blizzard breaks its silence on controversial suspension of pro Hong Kong Hearthstone player

Video game developer Blizzard Entertainment has finally broken its silence after banning a professional player of popular virtual card game Hearthstone for voicing support for the Hong Kong protests. In a lengthy statement, the company says it will reduce the one-year suspension of player Ng “Blitzchung” Wai Chung to a six-month one, and it will restore the prize money it withheld from him.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/11/...ng-prize-money

They need to apologize for being pussies and double his money.
Blizzard and the NBA look bad kowtowing to China, but keeping politics out of sports, especially esports which are heavily international, seems like the right policy. They need to apply that rule to domestic politics too though.
[Reply]
notorious 08:15 AM 10-12-2019
This is absolutely disgusting. I don’t even know where to start.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:09 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
This is absolutely disgusting. I don’t even know where to start.
Nuking Bentonville, AR and killing every member of the Walton family is a good start.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:35 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Blizzard and the NBA look bad kowtowing to China, but keeping politics out of sports, especially esports which are heavily international, seems like the right policy. They need to apply that rule to domestic politics too though.
How does one keep politics out of sports when the sports leagues, themselves, have become internally political? The best answer is the obvious answer, but it's also the answer that's got no shot of being implemented.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:38 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Blizzard breaks its silence on controversial suspension of pro Hong Kong Hearthstone player

Video game developer Blizzard Entertainment has finally broken its silence after banning a professional player of popular virtual card game Hearthstone for voicing support for the Hong Kong protests. In a lengthy statement, the company says it will reduce the one-year suspension of player Ng “Blitzchung” Wai Chung to a six-month one, and it will restore the prize money it withheld from him.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/11/...ng-prize-money

They need to apologize for being pussies and double his money.
Blizzard's full of shit. I wonder if the gamers are going to buy the company's patently absurd excuse.
[Reply]
patteeu 11:52 AM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
How does one keep politics out of sports when the sports leagues, themselves, have become internally political? The best answer is the obvious answer, but it's also the answer that's got no shot of being implemented.
I hear you and agree. Blizzard is different than the major sports leagues though.

For the same reason I thought it was bad decision for the NFL to let Colin Kaepernick comandeer his gameday platform for his personal political cause, I think it would be a bad decision for Blizzard to allow Hong Kong protests at it's events.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 12:09 PM 10-12-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I hear you and agree. Blizzard is different than the major sports leagues though.

For the same reason I thought it was bad decision for the NFL to let Colin Kaepernick comandeer his gameday platform for his personal political cause, I think it would be a bad decision for Blizzard to allow Hong Kong protests at it's events.
Blizzard was once a non-political company. Years back, however, she SJWs took over and turned it into a P.C. company that has infused its games with the politics of the left.

So the politics are now inherent to Blizzard. Company silence is now political every bit as much as company comments and company actions, and that certainly includes company-enforced silence, and that's the choice of the company.
[Reply]
Taco John 01:57 PM 10-12-2019
In Starcraft lore, Communist China has been eradicated...
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:40 PM 10-12-2019
It's hard to stay neutral when you go from a charming smaller studio developer to being an asset to a soul less corporation.

It's just a pure business decision.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 02:33 PM Yesterday
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
It's hard to stay neutral when you go from a charming smaller studio developer to being an asset to a soul less corporation.

It's just a pure business decision.
Blizzard was a huge part of my childhood. Up on the pedestal with Nintendo for knocking every game out of the park. Don't even know them anymore, and I've had to cancel WoW Classic. They can get fucked along with China.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up