ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Blizzard Bans Pro Esports player for supporting Hong Kong Protesters
Imon Yourside 03:38 PM 10-08-2019
Blizzard Entertainment has sent a professional esports player home from a tournament and handed him a 12-month ban after he voiced support for Hong Kong protesters during a postgame interview.

The esports player, whose real name is Chung Ng Wai but who is known as Blitzchung, will also be fined the full amount of the prize money he won from the Hearthstone Grandmasters regular-season tournament.

During the interview on the official Taiwanese Hearthstone stream, Blitzchung appeared wearing a gas mask, which he lifted up before shouting "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our age!" in Chinese.
Blizzard appears to be arguing that Blitzchung's statements about the Hong Kong protests offended "a portion or group of the public" or damaged the company's image.

The situation highlights the thorny trade-off US-based companies face when operating in China, which offers a lucrative and massive market but a different set of rules companies must play by.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bliz...erview-2019-10
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:25 PM 10-08-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
good thing our coward in chief stood up for hong kong...oh wait...

‘Hong Kong Thing’ Is ‘Very Tough,’ but Trump Doesn’t Criticize China

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/u...ong-trump.html
More whataboutary.

This topic isn't about Trump you deranged lunatic. "But Trump" isn't a valid response to everything dipshit.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 04:26 PM 10-08-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
More whataboutary.

This topic isn't about Trump you deranged lunatic. "But Trump" isn't a valid response to everything dipshit.
Bep brought up the left like it has anything to do with whats going on in china.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 04:30 PM 10-08-2019
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
Bep brought up the left like it has anything to do with whats going on in china.
Yeah. Left and right has NOTHING to do with liberal Hong Kong rebelling against communist china.

Derp.
[Reply]
oaklandhater 03:50 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Yeah. Left and right has NOTHING to do with liberal Hong Kong rebelling against communist china.

Derp.

You can't support the HK protestors and Trump at the same time. Pick one. https://t.co/wfdphe5ItM

— elemenohPlay! (@ElemenohPlay) October 9, 2019

[Reply]
Taco John 04:04 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
It'd be nice if they could innovate AND not cozy up to genocidal dictatorships huh
No one has sold out our country to China more than Democrats.
[Reply]
patteeu 05:03 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by Taco John:
I think I like the new SC2 balance patch for 2020. It seems to have some serious potential. I definitely like the Zealot nerf.
I take it you play zerg?
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 05:26 PM 10-09-2019
Big time issue
[Reply]
Taco John 05:43 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I take it you play zerg?
For the swarm!
[Reply]
patteeu 05:54 PM 10-09-2019
For the swarm!
Disgusting :-)
[Reply]
TLO 06:03 PM 10-09-2019
For the swarm!
Hell yeah!
[Reply]
Setsuna 07:04 PM 10-09-2019
We won our independence fighting an enemy that had to cross an entire ocean to get to us. HK is screwed because their enemy is all around them.
[Reply]
Sorry 07:10 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Blizzard is not a non-political company. Blizzard is the company that banned 18,000 gamers, and named them in a public registry for "toxicity", and changed a character from straight to homosexual in order to cater to the alphabet freaks.

Blizzard is a woke company that just shit down its leg and caved to the Chinese.
Are you serious? Fuck China and fuck their oppression.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:54 PM 10-09-2019
Originally Posted by RodeoPants2:
It'd be nice if they could innovate AND not cozy up to genocidal dictatorships huh

Never gets old
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 08:02 PM 10-09-2019
I think it's safe to say that Blizzard was not expecting the amount of backlash it's getting over this.
[Reply]
Sannyasi 08:12 PM 10-09-2019
I do think these western entertainment companies do good in China by promoting liberal values, so it can be argued ethically that the right thing for Blizzard to do is to find a way to continue to do business in China. But it would be nice if they could find a better compromise between Chinese censorship and Western-style free speech. I'm fine if China wants to censor this player's statements in their own country but by strong arming Blizzard into banning him and rescinding his prize money they are overstepping their marks.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up