ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 42
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump Abandons Syria, Opening Door for Slaughter of Kurdish Allies
Cave Johnson 07:41 AM 10-07-2019
Slightly worse than being stiffed for your work as a contractor on the Trump Taj Mahal.

Money quotes:

“One U.S. commander who helped lead the anti-ISIS effort told Fox News the decision amounts to a propaganda victory for China and Russia, saying those countries can tell would-be U.S. partners that America will abandon them.

“No one will ever partner with us again,” the commander said.

As for Turkey's intentions with the Kurds, the senior military officer said: “They are going to slaughter those cats.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ll-out-war.amp
[Reply]
patteeu 02:01 PM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Turkey is a member of NATO. That makes them an ally. Not that I like their leader, for other reasons, but we can't risk them aligning with Russia either any more than we have with our actions to date.
Ok. Meanwhile, right after Trump warns Turkey to leave the Kurds alone...

Turkish jets strike Kurdish targets in northern Syria: reports
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:01 PM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
What do you think? Is it about time or are we making a mistake? Personally, I agree with Cave Johnson and Lindsay Graham that we shouldn't be abandoning the Kurds.
Why should we alienate Turkey, a member of NATO, instead?

We don't really have anything to gain, helping the Kurds.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:02 PM 10-07-2019

So.

I already knew that and knew it would happen. Kurds go over the border into Turkey committing terrorist acts —including on tourists. I thought we don't negotiate with terrorists? Turkey has just as much right to their national security as we claim we do.

You act as if there are some good players in the Middle-East. Kurds are thugs and communistic.
[Reply]
Cave Johnson 02:04 PM 10-07-2019

[Reply]
patteeu 02:09 PM 10-07-2019
So.

I already knew that and knew it would happen. Kurds go over the border into Turkey committing terrorist acts —including on tourists. I thought we don't negotiate with terrorists? Turkey has just as much right to their national security as we claim we do.

You act as if there are some good players in the Middle-East. Kurds are thugs and communistic.
So... you ignored the point of the post you replied to earlier and this is a follow-up to that point. Feel free to ignore it again if you want. It wasn't directed at you in the first place.

For everyone else, Trump is not adequately feared or respected by international leaders as a result of the bluff and blink pattern he's established.
[Reply]
Coyote 02:09 PM 10-07-2019
“No Friends But the Mountains”.
The Peshmerga are realists.
https://thekurdishproject.org/histor...ish-peshmerga/

I have some time in the region and my loyalties are with the Kurds. They are mostly on their own and hunted by every regional power. However as much as I think we are abandoning them, we have been protecting them in some manner since at least 1991. How long is enough for America?
We knew this was coming and many worked to find some middle ground. Like much in the region, there simply isn’t middle ground at the end of the day. It kinda reminds me of the Hmong and Vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Provide_Comfort

I also worked with Turkey on attack helicopters from 1990s till 2010. They use them basically to hunt Kurds. When I worked policy Issues with the Turks, all I could think of us was their then pilots sole focus on killing Kurds. And the lies they told to us in order to go after Kurds.

To the point of my guys teaching them how to use the “whiskey” model Cobra frequently finding themselves trying to get back to Turkish airspace and turning off the fire that was not part of the flight schedule. State Dept was useless in turning it off. We (USMC) got out of there clean but I never trusted the Turks again. https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...updated-02397/

BTW, I had similar experiences with the Israelis on “operator to operator” exchanges in the Bakaa. Both simply wanted to get the US involved. But I learned in 1983 not to trust Israelis.

In 2003, TF Tripoli was rapidly created to basically occupy northern Iraq (again) ground from SOF and Peshmerga control until we could uncoil 4th ID from Kuwait. This was because Turks denied us from attacking with 4th ID from the North. I suspect with memories of Post Desert Storm Operation Provide Comfort that we protected Kurds from Turks and Iraqis by. This is a long running US and Turkish dance.

Will the UK or others fill our withdrawals? Doubtful.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:10 PM 10-07-2019
It's good to see someone on the left who judges an issue based on the issue and not because it's an R or a D after their name.
Party affiliation isn't really important. Getting out of disasters is a win, regardless of who initiates it.
[Reply]
banyon 02:10 PM 10-07-2019
Why should we alienate Turkey, a member of NATO, instead?

We don't really have anything to gain, helping the Kurds.
As the former aide's tweet described, they have been managing the ISIS camps.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:13 PM 10-07-2019
US Troops Will Withdraw From Northeast Syria to Avoid Turkish Assault
SDF Warns of 'All Out War', Trump and Erdogan Agree to Meet Over Syria 'Safe Zone'

The SDF is led by the Syrian Kurdish Militia YPG, who the Turkish government considers to be a terrorist organization. [ It is.]...

In August, Turkey and the U.S. agreed to create a safe zone in Kurdish controlled Syria along the Turkish border to settle some two million Syrian refugees. Part of the deal was to clear the area of all the Kurdish fighters, which Erdogan complains the U.S. military has failed to do...

Washington has always hoped to avoid a military confrontation between Turkey and the YPG. The shortsighted policy of arming and backing an enemy of Turkey so close to their border was bound to have dangerous consequences.

https://news.antiwar.com/2019/10/06/...rkish-assault/
It was long planned folks. This does not make clear if U.S. troops will fully withdraw from Syria or if they will just relocate. The statement also says, “Turkey will now be responsible for all ISIS fighters in the area captured over the past two years.”Now, lets get the fuck out.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:14 PM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by banyon:
As the former aide's tweet described, they have been managing the ISIS camps.
I didn't read that tweet. So I don't get your point.
[Reply]
mlyonsd 02:14 PM 10-07-2019
Where are UN troops in all this?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:15 PM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Party affiliation isn't really important. Getting out of disasters is a win, regardless of who initiates it.
I agree. :-)
[Reply]
banyon 02:15 PM 10-07-2019
So what.

This is what the American people want as polls show they are sick of these forever wars. Besides, Russia pretty much already defeated ISIS before Trump put us in there. ISIS was backed by Obama administration along with other jihadi-linked groups including AQ/AlNusra to foment conflict with atrocities in there to get rid of Assad.

The three of them have been allies even before we went in there. And our even going into the area, starting with Iraq has just made it better for them than it was before. Everything NeoCons and NeoLibs does not get the intended results they thought but made things worse. It's a shame people still listen to them.

Suddenly banyon supports such military intervention because it's the opposite of what Orange-Man-Bad is doing.
Re-read what I posted. I didn't say I supported it. I said I didn't support making promises and then abruptly abandoning them.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:16 PM 10-07-2019
I haven't really read all that you posted. I just skimmed by to get the gist of things. You seemed to post some pro support.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:17 PM 10-07-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
This can’t possibly be a serious question.
It is when it's asked by manchambo.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 42
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up