ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2395 of 3903
« First < 1395189522952345238523912392239323942395 239623972398239924052445249528953395 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 02:27 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I agree with the outdoor AND moving around piece as a mitigation focus in some states. All our parks and trails opened this week and indoor dining opens as part of our (IL) phase 4 on Friday. Still no lakefront beaches or playgrounds though, which seems to be about lack of movement even though its outdoors.
The thing that's tricky about all of this is that it's all about risk factors, and none of them can be calculated easily based on the research we currently have. As long as there's a breeze, going to a beach seems pretty low-risk to me. Playgrounds? Eh, it's hard to keep kids apart there, though there hasn't been much to suggest that kids are common means of spread. I don't think I'd personally be worried about either of those two.

Dining indoors is still one thing I don't think I'll do any time soon.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:28 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Its sad how delusional this belief is. You've been wrong 99.9% of the time, the only reason people stop interacting with you is because its like arguing with an insane person that has no connection to logic.

My favorite part is when he talks out of his ass and then later says he was being sarcastic.
Yet you needed basic math explained to you yesterday but you do you, bro
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:32 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
The thing that's tricky about all of this is that it's all about risk factors, and none of them can be calculated easily based on the research we currently have. As long as there's a breeze, going to a beach seems pretty low-risk to me. Playgrounds? Eh, it's hard to keep kids apart there, though there hasn't been much to suggest that kids are common means of spread. I don't think I'd personally be worried about either of those two.

I agree for the most part. I'm not too concerned about any of them really, but feel, at least here, the decision makers are leaning heavily on their science adviser. Gathering points on our trails are still blocked off, promoting keeping everyone moving. Also, Lake Michigan beaches aren't the Bonzai Pipeline either. They can be narrow and the waters is still cold enough to kill you, so people are more likely to sit and gather than be up moving around. So like everywhere, what might work best here, might not be the best decision somewhere else.
[Reply]
SupDock 02:32 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I doubt many people would be opposed to individuals distancing on a beach.

We are in an era where masking is a political statement, and many decisions don't seem closely married to data.

It's also unfortunate that as we learn more about the virus, people see it as a "gotcha" moment rather than support that the scientific method works, and we change our stance based on the most recent data (high level reproducible data)
[Reply]
DaFace 02:35 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
It's also unfortunate that as we learn more about the virus, people see it as a "gotcha" moment rather than support that the scientific method works, and we change our stance based on the most recent data (high level reproducible data)
At its core, the most depressing thing about all of this for me has been realizing how few people understand that "science" is more about consensus than it is about doing a study.
[Reply]
eDave 02:37 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
ask yourself the basic question
Why don't you just tell me what you are trying achieve here instead of talking in code.
[Reply]
TLO 02:39 PM 06-23-2020
Some Missouri information for those interested.

75% of these "record high cases" the media is reporting has come from 3 or 4 counties in SW Missouri. This is due to testing people at meat packing plants. The majority of these positive tests are asymptomatic.

Hospitalizations are at "an all time low" according to Dr. Williams. (They haven't updated our hospitalization count in a few days so I can't verify this)

The state has an "ample" supply of remdesivir. They have sent some extra doses to the Joplin area due to an increase in cases.
[Reply]
TLO 02:44 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Why don't you just tell me what you are trying achieve here instead of talking in code.
Off topic but you mentioned something about cigarette smoke earlier today or last night.

There have been several studies that have come out that have shown a lower rate of Covid-19 patients that are smokers. Like - statistically significant amounts lower. I don't feel like getting into a lot of detail but it is hypothesized that nicotine binds to the ACE-2 receptor, thus blocking the virus' entry point. The authors feel like it's a double edged sword because they don't want to encourage people to smoke, yet smoking seems to show some protective effect. An excerpt from one of the studies.

Originally Posted by :
"The risk of infection by COVID-19 appears to be reduced by half among current smokers"
These same studies have shown that smokers who do get diagnosed with covid-19 don't show any increased likelihood for adverse reactions (ICU admission, need for a ventilator, death)

I can find the studies and post them if you'd like. These aren't rinky dink 200 people studies either. One of them from Israel looked at a group of over 3 million individuals. A similar study from Mexico did the same.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:46 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
ask yourself the basic question
What Would Patrick Do?
[Reply]
petegz28 02:51 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
What Would Patrick Do?
Jet-Chip-Wasp...bitches!
[Reply]
sedated 02:51 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Yet you needed basic math explained to you yesterday but you do you, bro
Care to elaborate?
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:53 PM 06-23-2020
Best breakdown I've seen. Enjoy.

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covi...s-3a08e42ee36f
[Reply]
lewdog 02:55 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Best breakdown I've seen. Enjoy.

https://medium.com/analyticaper/covi...s-3a08e42ee36f
You should summarize your thoughts on this.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:59 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You should summarize your thoughts on this.
We know that would lead to a day long pissing match. I have no desire to sit in front of an electronic device all day when there is this big beautiful world our there to enjoy and a family to spend time with. It's easier to post a link to summarize what myself and others have stated, but in a one stop shop.
[Reply]
stumppy 03:01 PM 06-23-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
We know that would lead to a day long pissing match. I have no desire to sit in front of an electronic device all day when there is this big beautiful world our there to enjoy and a family to spend time with. It's easier to post a link to summarize what myself and others have stated, but in a one stop shop.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 2395 of 3903
« First < 1395189522952345238523912392239323942395 239623972398239924052445249528953395 > Last »
Up