ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which city downtown would you choose to live?
Manhattan 23 22.55%
San Francisco 16 15.69%
San Jose 2 1.96%
Portland 4 3.92%
Chicago 13 12.75%
Miami 9 8.82%
Different city downtown 31 30.39%
Where ever Gaz lives. 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 15
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>If money were no object, which major USA downtown would you pick to live?
Trivers 10:55 AM 06-10-2018
During the past three months, I've traveled to Manhattan, San Francisco, San Jose, Portland, Chicago, and Miami for biz/personal trips.

I've stayed in mid-priced hotels. (Actually, non were cheap as in staying at a Best Western in the 'burbs. :-) )

Observations:
Manhatten: Used to love to go here. Now I find it crowded, dirty, and people are rude on the streets, but normal once inside. Least value per sq ft of hotel space of all the cities.
San Fran: Love the Wharf. Expensive, a homeless problem, past its prime?
Portland: Beautiful, had to fight off the homeless on every block as I walked. No sun the entire trip.
San Jose: Energy! Wonderful weather, expensive as hell. Traffic sucked.
Chicago: More I go, the more I fall in love. Clean, not crowded, people are friendly. Saw two panhandlers the entire weekend. Good hotel value.
Miami: Great food, the babes on South Beach were amazing eye candy. It would be too hot in summer. Condos expensive.

So if I had to move from middle of no-where Wisconsin where there are more cows that cars, I would pick downtown Chicago and try to find a condo overseeing a river or Lake Michigan.

What about you?
[Reply]
BWillie 06:19 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by FD:
Gang-bangers, smog, what? Have you not been to Los Angeles in the past 20 years?
I was in LA 6 months ago. A few times before that. Very overrated downtown scene compared to places like Manhattan, SF, Seattle, Chicago, IMO. For the 2nd biggest metro area in the country, I just expected more. Their skyline also kind of weak to look at. Probably Top 12, but again, 2nd biggest metro area in the country.

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
DC is a shithole with horrible people and even worse traffic.
DC is boring IMO. I get it. Lots of old shit and historic places. But I really DGAF. That rule they have that no building can be over like 3 stories or something like that really hinders that place.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:21 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I was in LA 6 months ago. A few times before that. Very overrated downtown scene compared to places like Manhattan, SF, Seattle, Chicago, IMO. For the 2nd biggest metro area in the country, I just expected more. Their skyline also kind of weak to look at. Probably Top 12, but again, 2nd biggest metro area in the country.
LA is really a decentralized place. They're got a downtown, but it doesn't seem like it's a hub for anything.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:23 PM 06-10-2018
Muh Land! Planet
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:28 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
If money were no object, the last place I'd live would be near any city. Look for me up in the mountains somewhere.

Just don't look too hard. :-)
Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Had a turtle walk into my shop today. :-)

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Pass on the big city, no thanks.
[Reply]
Iowanian 06:39 PM 06-10-2018
In the middle of 10,000 acres. The last place I would live would be in a major metro.
[Reply]
cdcox 06:50 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Exactly. I don't want to get close to a city, especially a big one. The Sams run to Springfield Friday made me break out in aids.

Had a deer walk right beside me mid-day yesterday when I was out washing my car.

Years ago I was in NY at a Broadway show and there was a murder at the intermission in the lobby.

Ed, glad you are loving retirement. I'm curious what your typical day so are like? I'm about 10 years from retiring. I am worried about isolation, about how I will fill my days. Urban seems better for me but I'm curious how rural/lake people spend their time.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:52 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by canoworms:
Ed, glad you are loving retirement. I'm curious what your typical day so are like? I'm about 10 years from retiring. I am worried about isolation, about how I will fill my days. Urban seems better for me but I'm curious how rural/lake people spend their time.
I think they set up militias and count the amount of guns they have. Read "Guns and Ammo" magazine alot. Drink lots of crappy domestic beer.
[Reply]
SAUTO 06:53 PM 06-10-2018

I had a big ass turtle in the shop last week lol
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 07:26 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
LA is really a decentralized place. They're got a downtown, but it doesn't seem like it's a hub for anything.
I imagine it is like Houston. Downtown doesn't exactly have a lot of things. In Houston, you wouldn't live downtown. Mid Town, Westheimer, or Galleria is better.

Just like in DC downtown is kinda barren of things to do. Adams Morgan or Chinatown are much more happening.
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:48 PM 06-10-2018
Since it's past his bedtime and I've visited his place a few times I'll answer for him. He has a huge out building where he tinkers with his cars, and has an old truck he's restoring. Some days he goes out on the lake on his pontoon boat. Some days he might go out on the fishing boat. Some days he plays golf. Some days he works in his wood shop. Some days he may just nap all day. In short, whatever the hell he feels like. He's living the dream.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:00 PM 06-10-2018
I know this will WTF a few on here - but I'd probably live in Pittsburg Kansas if I could find a job that paid well enough. So if any of you could assist, PM me - I wouldn't mind getting out of Atlanta for a while.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 08:03 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I know this will WTF a few on here - but I'd probably live in Pittsburg Kansas if I could find a job that paid well enough. So if any of you could assist, PM me - I wouldn't mind getting out of Atlanta for a while.
What do you do for a living?
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:05 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
I had a big ass turtle in the shop last week lol
Aren't they neat!? We have had some really large ones walking around our place but the one this morning looked pretty young and I put him out heading the right direction.

See Bugeater's post below. :-)

Actually, you do make compromises. Impulse shopping, nope.
Dining out? On occasion, but it turns into a pretty big deal. But after 18 years of the Chicago area rat race, I don't miss those things as much as enjoy "looking up when a car goes by."

Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Since it's past his bedtime and I've visited his place a few times I'll answer for him. He has a huge out building where he tinkers with his cars, and has an old truck he's restoring. Some days he goes out on the lake on his pontoon boat. Some days he might go out on the fishing boat. Some days he plays golf. Some days he works in his wood shop. Some days he may just nap all day. In short, whatever the hell he feels like. He's living the dream.
904 now friend, so it is bed time and look forward to your next visit.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:07 PM 06-10-2018
Originally Posted by LoneWolf:
What do you do for a living?
I sell technology solutions - basically there are three elements to our solutions (which we manufacture) - Remote Monitoring, Quality of Experience and Secure Access.... I sell on-premise appliances to Managed Service Providers MSPs

Technology Sales in a nutshell.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:11 PM 06-10-2018

You'll have to expand on that lobby intermission murder story one of these days. :-)
[Reply]
Page 5 of 15
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up