ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1768 of 3903
« First < 768126816681718175817641765176617671768 176917701771177217781818186822682768 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 09:30 AM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...anization.html
I was just reading a pre print paper on that. Thats crazy.
[Reply]
O.city 09:32 AM 05-02-2020
https://www.businessinsider.com/half...ilities-2020-4

We need to be locking those facilities down tighter than Billay's asshole.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:41 AM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
So if i'm reading this right, about 25%-30% of US Covid deaths are happening in nursing homes. That's just awful.
LIke I said-one within eye shot of me has 47-at last count.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:42 AM 05-02-2020

So what is the CDC saying here?
That the devil is in the details.

Here's the important difference: hospitalization rates are different than hospitalizations per illness. You have to remember that the seasonal flu affects somewhere around 40 million sympomatic carriers in a bad year (total numbers of infection would be higher). If the antibody studies are to be believed, then even the state with the highest rate of infection in the country would only extrapolate to about 40 million total infections. The reality is that it's probably somewhere around 20 million at most (that would correlate with around 6% infection rate).

It's also worth noting that standards for hospitalizations have changed. They are only admitting relatively serious COVID cases due to fear of spread and lack of equipment and PPE. Hospitals survive in part on soft admits, and I have no doubt that were the same principles applied to COVID as flu you'd have substantially more hospitalizations for the latter than currently exist.

Also, here is other data from the site:

The overall cumulative COVID-19 associated hospitalization rate is 40.4 per 100,000, with the highest rates in people 65 years and older (131.6 per 100,000) and 50-64 years (63.7 per 100,000).

Hospitalization rates for COVID-19 in adults (18-64 years) are higher than hospitalization rates for influenza at comparable time points* during the past 5 influenza seasons.

For people 65 years and older, current COVID-19 hospitalization rates are similar to those observed during comparable time points* during recent high severity influenza seasons.

For children (0-17 years), COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than influenza hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.

-------

Here's the other issue: the CDC extrapolated their case load for flu based on symptomatic illness, but the flu also has asymptomatic carriers. It doesn't make their data wrong, but the way we process it can be affected by how we see COVID cases. When we factor COVID hospitalizations and overall disease burden in we bake the asymptomatic carriers into the cake, but we don't do that when discussing the flu. Thus, if you were to put the asymptomatic carriers in with the flu the rates of hospitalization would drop by a fair amount (16% by one meta-analysis but it had an extremely high rate of heterogeneity).

The other thing to remember is that even the worst flu season of the last decade only saw 60,000 deaths. We're well above that now with mitigation efforts, the background death rate strongly suggests that it's undercounted even then, and the number of cumulative infections is without a doubt still quite a bit below where a normal flu season would be.

Fewer infections, more deaths = deadlier virus
Similar hospitalizations = equally deadly virus or difference in admit practices
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:50 AM 05-02-2020
OCity,

FWIW, it appears that the author of that tweet doesn't have the best reputation for sticking to the facts when it comes to science:

He authored the controversial 2019 book Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence that has been denounced as alarmist and inaccurate by many in the scientific and medical communities because of his claims that cannabis causes psychosis and violence; many scientists state that he is drawing inappropriate conclusions from the research, primarily by inferring causation from correlation,[14]:1[15]:1[16]:1[17]:1[18] as well as cherry picking[13]:1 data that fits his narrative, and falling victim to selection bias via his use of anecdotes[13]:1 to back up his assertions.[16]:1[17]:1[15]:1[19]:1[20] Other reviews have been less critical, accepting the anecdotes as real-life examples of the science presented.[21][22][23]

From Wiki.

Drawing inappropriate conclusions and cherry picking is exactly what he did there (and seems to be doing with all of his tweets on this topic).
[Reply]
lewdog 09:50 AM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by The PMII Hypothesis:
Exactly, it’s a nice $30 insurance policy to give you peace of mind akin to having a thermometer in the house. I know I’m glad I have it, and I’d never heard of them for personal use until this whole mess.
You linked a $70 one man!!!!!

My stimulus check can only go so far!
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 05-02-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
That the devil is in the details.

Here's the important difference: hospitalization rates are different than hospitalizations per illness. You have to remember that the seasonal flu affects somewhere around 40 million sympomatic carriers in a bad year (total numbers of infection would be higher). If the antibody studies are to be believed, then even the state with the highest rate of infection in the country would only extrapolate to about 40 million total infections. The reality is that it's probably somewhere around 20 million at most (that would correlate with around 6% infection rate).

It's also worth noting that standards for hospitalizations have changed. They are only admitting relatively serious COVID cases due to fear of spread and lack of equipment and PPE. Hospitals survive in part on soft admits, and I have no doubt that were the same principles applied to COVID as flu you'd have substantially more hospitalizations for the latter than currently exist.

Also, here is other data from the site:

The overall cumulative COVID-19 associated hospitalization rate is 40.4 per 100,000, with the highest rates in people 65 years and older (131.6 per 100,000) and 50-64 years (63.7 per 100,000).

Hospitalization rates for COVID-19 in adults (18-64 years) are higher than hospitalization rates for influenza at comparable time points* during the past 5 influenza seasons.

For people 65 years and older, current COVID-19 hospitalization rates are similar to those observed during comparable time points* during recent high severity influenza seasons.

For children (0-17 years), COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than influenza hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.

-------

Here's the other issue: the CDC extrapolated their case load for flu based on symptomatic illness, but the flu also has asymptomatic carriers. It doesn't make their data wrong, but the way we process it can be affected by how we see COVID cases. When we factor COVID hospitalizations and overall disease burden in we bake the asymptomatic carriers into the cake, but we don't do that when discussing the flu. Thus, if you were to put the asymptomatic carriers in with the flu the rates of hospitalization would drop by a fair amount (16% by one meta-analysis but it had an extremely high rate of heterogeneity).

The other thing to remember is that even the worst flu season of the last decade only saw 60,000 deaths. We're well above that now with mitigation efforts, the background death rate strongly suggests that it's undercounted even then, and the number of cumulative infections is without a doubt still quite a bit below where a normal flu season would be.

Fewer infections, more deaths = deadlier virus
Similar hospitalizations = equally deadly virus or difference in admit practices
Did the CDC just revise the Covid death number down as well or am I reading that wrong?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:51 AM 05-02-2020
Did the CDC just revise the Covid death number down as well or am I reading that wrong?
Link?
[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 05-02-2020
OCity,

FWIW, it appears that the author of that tweet doesn't have the best reputation for sticking to the facts when it comes to science:

He authored the controversial 2019 book Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness and Violence that has been denounced as alarmist and inaccurate by many in the scientific and medical communities because of his claims that cannabis causes psychosis and violence; many scientists state that he is drawing inappropriate conclusions from the research, primarily by inferring causation from correlation,[14]:1[15]:1[16]:1[17]:1[18] as well as cherry picking[13]:1 data that fits his narrative, and falling victim to selection bias via his use of anecdotes[13]:1 to back up his assertions.[16]:1[17]:1[15]:1[19]:1[20] Other reviews have been less critical, accepting the anecdotes as real-life examples of the science presented.[21][22][23]

From Wiki.

Drawing inappropriate conclusions and cherry picking is exactly what he did there (and seems to be doing with all of his tweets on this topic).
I haven't really followed it just happen to come across my feed so I read into it.

Some weird shit happening on the CDC site that i can't really make heads or tails of.
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 05-02-2020
Link?
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:56 AM 05-02-2020
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
NOTE: Number of deaths reported in this table are the total number of deaths received and coded as of the date of analysis and do not represent all deaths that occurred in that period. The United States population, based on 2018 postcensal estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau, is 327,167,434.

*Data during this period are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction, age, and cause of death.

If you look down at the state data you'll find that many of the jurisdictions haven't reported any deaths when deaths in those areas are well known. It's just a reporting lag on their part.
[Reply]
O.city 09:58 AM 05-02-2020
I was assuming it was a reporting error of some sorts, but i don't think the 8 week delay is possible and they're also using presumed deaths for COvid 19. So wouldn't that mean you don't necessarily have that large of a delay from the certificate? Also look at the states not reporting. I don't know if they're gonna report that many.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:03 AM 05-02-2020
U.S. beef output is down way more than shutdowns suggest
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...owU?li=BBnb7Kz
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:03 AM 05-02-2020
I was assuming it was a reporting error of some sorts, but i don't think the 8 week delay is possible and they're also using presumed deaths for COvid 19. So wouldn't that mean you don't necessarily have that large of a delay from the certificate? Also look at the states not reporting. I don't know if they're gonna report that many.
Definitely not, but I doubt reporting lag only happens there, especially when you have corpses rotting in trucks in other areas.
[Reply]
lewdog 10:04 AM 05-02-2020
All the pulse oximeters on Amazon are weeks+ out on shipping. Doesn’t look like much better luck on cvs or Walgreens either.
[Reply]
Page 1768 of 3903
« First < 768126816681718175817641765176617671768 176917701771177217781818186822682768 > Last »
Up